Keeping the line tight when bass fishing?

coreyhkh

Hey guys I am just wondering if I am using braid and bass fishing should I be giving the fish limp line when they jump or should I keep it tight. I was always told to keep a tight line but this year I switched to braid and I have had trouble landing larger bass they jump and spit the hook.

I second a good hook set makes all the difference. I have noticed that lately I have a better feel, maybe because I am using better tackle. As a result I can feel when a fish hits.

Also remember that hooksets should be different depending on what type of lure you are using. I generally do not hammer home the hookset, I am firm. I feel that with bass they can have a delicate mouth, and a setting the hook too hard can create a tear in their mouth, which can make it easier for them to spit the hook.

I use braid also, and to keep them from going airborne, after hookset, i bury my rodtip in the water, and reel fast as a lizard drinkin.whistling.gif Works for me.

x2. If it's a big one that I want to get to the boat for a photo, I bury the rod tip as soon as they look like they are going to jump. If it's less than photo-worthy, I let them jump as much as possible.

I second a good hook set makes all the difference. I have noticed that lately I have a better feel, maybe because I am using better tackle. As a result I can feel when a fish hits.

Also remember that hooksets should be different depending on what type of lure you are using. I generally do not hammer home the hookset, I am firm. I feel that with bass they can have a delicate mouth, and a setting the hook too hard can create a tear in their mouth, which can make it easier for them to spit the hook.

good.gif

I tried Trokar hooks this year for the first time.They really performed well, and the only time i lost a fish, was when they took the texas rigged bait by the tail instead of the head.

I switched most of my rods to more limber rods, fiberglass rods work great for me with braids

spring jigging for whitefish I notices many people were losing them when they got to the surface...after some checking I realized the people losing them were using braids

put 10 feet of mono between the braid and the lure and I quit losing them at the surface as did the guys I fish with

the same is true icefishing 10 ft of mono solves a lot of problems.....oh well there goes my secret advantage

As with everyone above, I've got braid with about 4 ft of flourocarbon leader tied on the end. Set the hook and then bury the rod tip in the water, this seemed to keep most of the fish from jumping. Problem though with long casts and crankbaits, lot of line out there to set the hook , even with braid and lost a couple in the air. Still fun though.

Bill

Fish jumping is just to much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Theirs a fine line between no pressure and just the right amount. Steelheaders get good at this.

Letum jump and have fun.

DITTO! Just a feel you get after a while.

Personally, I think dipping the rod into the drink has no benefit, but if it works for you, give'r.

On small bass you probably don't need much of a hook-set with braid, since there is no stretch in the line and small bass have fairly soft mouths and narrow jaws. On a big fish I set the hook at least twice...HARD. I also shove the rod tip underwater if the fish start coming up! I don't want a big bass to jump because bass in the five pound and over class have very hard mouths. Crankbait hook points are often just sitting on top of the shell crushers that line their jaws. If the fish manages to break the surface I reel fast and pull sideways to prevent slack in the line. That's one of the nice things about using 30+ braid, you have plenty of extra muscle built-in.

I have changed many of my crankbait hooks to a size or two larger in the short-shank Mustad KVD series.

My opinion is that this helps with hook-ups because the wider gap is better at reaching beyond the hardest part of a good fish's jaw.

For the last couple of years, I have been adding composite crankbait rods to my collection. I still use graphite in heavy cover, with all types of Frogs, Spinner and Buzz baits and Texas or C.rigs but the softer rods seem to enhance a crankbait's action and with 20 pound M/Fl. or 30 - 40 lb. braid, they don't hurt my hook-ups.

Garry2rs

I can only comment on putting the rod tip in the water....this helps immensely if you want to prevent them from jumping. If the fish is already aiborne...I don't know how much good it does, but I don't think it has ever resulted in me losing a fish.

A good hook set will actual do the trick plus when I feel the fish is about to jump I kinda lift my rod up together with fish so I dont lost the tension of line.. its always fun when the bass jump, thats the best part.. and I used 6lb to 8lb mono..