OT - Clearwater St Pete's side of Florida

bayboy

Hi there

baygirl and I are investigating a 2-3 month (Jan-March 2012) winter getaway to the Clearwater/St Pete's side of Florida. We are looking for something with cooking facilities, swimming pool, not necessarily beach front; a good price and excellent condition. Trailer parks are ok. Any good recommendations or warnings of where or what to avoid would be greatly appreciated. bayboy

I'll give you a warning: You may not want to come back! lol

I haven't been down in years Bayboy so I can't offer specifics, only that the gulf side is the best side of Florida, in my opinion. Lots of bridges and piers to wet a line. Great seafood restaurants. Awesome sunsets, etc.

Have a great time!

PS.. Just remembered, about a half hour drive south of you is Sarasota Beach. If you're a beach goer, you'll love it. Sand is like powder! Also Mote Marine Laboratory is in Sarasota and it's a neat place to see sharks and other sea life.

Edited by Mike Pike

Still a few mom and pop places left in Clearwater beach, they are being (or maybe I should re-phrase that to they were all being bought up and torn down to build expensive highrise condos till the big economic bust) We stayed in several of the small motels over the years and enjoyed the time we were there. Just don't go to the small joints expecting Trump Tower and you'll be fine.

this is a good link

Staying in motels on the intracoastal side of the island is a cheaper alternative to beach front and the beach is no further than 2 or 3 blocks away. There are a couple of inexpensive restaurants there and a Publix grocery store on the island just before the end of HWY 60, also a Walgreens in Clearwater Beach. And the peir is right at hand :Gonefishing:

The Sea Captain is pretty decent, Sandman I just discovered is now history as well as the Sea Cove. My sister and husband stayed several time at the Ritz across from the beach.

Enjoy your trip south...and don't forget med insurance! :stretcher:

Probably a good opportunity to at least see this area before it becomes too expensive.

Edited by pikehunter

Thanks very much for the info. Plan on following up. Very helpful. bayboy

I'll give you a warning: You may not want to come back! lol

I haven't been down in years Bayboy so I can't offer specifics, only that the gulf side is the best side of Florida, in my opinion. Lots of bridges and piers to wet a line. Great seafood restaurants. Awesome sunsets, etc.

Have a great time!

PS.. Just remembered, about a half hour drive south of you is Sarasota Beach. If you're a beach goer, you'll love it. Sand is like powder! Also Mote Marine Laboratory is in Sarasota and it's a neat place to see sharks and other sea life.

Great tips thanks so much. Have never been for more than 2 weeks before and not for 10 years. The topic and culling is huge. Thanks again. bayboy

Still a few mom and pop places left in Clearwater beach, they are being (or maybe I should re-phrase that to they were all being bought up and torn down to build expensive highrise condos till the big economic bust) We stayed in several of the small motels over the years and enjoyed the time we were there. Just don't go to the small joints expecting Trump Tower and you'll be fine.

this is a good link

Staying in motels on the intracoastal side of the island is a cheaper alternative to beach front and the beach is no further than 2 or 3 blocks away. There are a couple of inexpensive restaurants there and a Publix grocery store on the island just before the end of HWY 60, also a Walgreens in Clearwater Beach. And the peir is right at hand :Gonefishing:

The Sea Captain is pretty decent, Sandman I just discovered is now history as well as the Sea Cove. My sister and husband stayed several time at the Ritz across from the beach.

Enjoy your trip south...and don't forget med insurance! :stretcher:

Probably a good opportunity to at least see this area before it becomes too expensive.