A good day :)

adolson

I went out to Latchford and fished off the shore under the bridge. I caught four small bass there. Well, three. One of them I caught twice in a row - I know this because one of my hooks tore a bit out of his side. Didn't seem to phase him, since he went right back after the exact same lure two casts later. Not keeper size, but fun to fish, anyhow. I was using all sorts of lures, no biting until I went with my gold rattlin' rap, which got snagged and I lost it. :( They don't make those exact ones anymore.

Then I went home and picked up the wife and we headed out to Anima-Nipissing for a couple hours. I told her I wanted to catch a walleye or a trout, but I caught three more bass, one a keeper. I had several other bites, and then I got a nice little walleye (the biggest I think I have caught, which is not that big), as seen in the non-flattering picture my wife took. At first I thought it was another small bass, since that's all I was catching today, but then it dove straight down as I got it near the boat, and so far none of my bass have done that, and actually, I only really remember walleye doing it (and some pike, but I didn't think it was a pike on). The lure I was having success on there was a really old and small original Rapala floater with slightly rusted hooks that I need to change tonight (I wasn't really planning on using it, just thought I'd give it a shot. Worked GREAT!).

It was really dark by the time we got back to the boat launch. A 2-hour trip turned into 4 hours. And now I wanna go out again ASAP. :)

282504_10150330158965928_728810927_9733832_3541648_n.jpg

And here's a view from the boat:

251745_10150330239320928_728810927_9735099_404588_n.jpg

Edited by Dana

Nice job on targetting and catching a walleye! Its not always easy if you don't know the lake well.

I'll PM u the next time I'm up your way and have some time to kill... I've wanted to fish the Latchford bridge/bay lake/montreal river for a while now.

Are you a good swimmer? Get a mask and snorkel and I bet you find your lure and dozens more at the bridge.

Nice stuff, and that sunset picture is a keeper too!

Are you a good swimmer? Get a mask and snorkel and I bet you find your lure and dozens more at the bridge.

Funny you should mention that. I have some friends that operated a souvenir shop at the north end of that bridge back in the 70s and 80s, and their kids would go there every couple of days and snorkel around picking up all the snags they could find. They had a little side business selling it as used tackle, made a few bucks to supplement their allowance. I was in there once when a guy came in and saw what he claimed was one of his lures, and he told them that he shouldn't need to pay to buy it back. "You're not paying for the lure" they told him, "You're paying us to get it for you." That shut him up!

Edited by Dave Bailey

Thanks all! I never caught walleye on a lure before, so it was another first for me. It was about 3.5lbs. I love that lake, it's so big and calm and pretty, and quiet.

I'm an OK swimmer, but I never snorkeled or anything like that. It's a cool idea, though.. I do want that lure back... lol

Your dad doesnt make choppers does he??whistling.gif

Hmm, nope. My dad doesn't do anything, really... What makes you ask, though?

Edited by Dana