My very first baitcasting experience!

went bass fishing on a friend's boat yesterday and had my first experience with a baitcasting setup.

perhaps because of my previous experience with Wallis-cast on the centerpin, I was able to get pretty good

at thumbing the spool after having couple major birdnests.

He then let me use his Core, Curado & Steez on top of the Caenan he lent me. I can tell Core/Curado/Steez are much smoother than Caenan is but could not tell why each is at difference price levels.

Here are my questions:

1) what is the diffference in casting distance between max/min backlash brake setting?

(same weight, same rod, same line ... etc)

2) what is the difference between models I mentioned above

Thanks!

I am no expert but I believe one of the main differences between the curado and the steez and core is weight. The later two are made from advanced carbon fibers and therefore lighter than the curado. I would imagine the the components, such as the bearings and gears are of a higher quality in the steez and the core than the curado (less plastic parts, therefore more durable.)

In terms of casting distance I cannot help you out as every time I try to really zing out a long cast with a baitcaster I get a birdsnest.

The core is made with exacting tolerances that are closer than the other two mentioned. The bearings are of a higher quality meaning less friction and more consistence friction on the cast. It means I can cast further with my Core than my Curado both adjusted the same because of the quality of the Core. I personally find the quality/weight of the core worth buying and pairing it with a great rod. When you are fishing you will use the combo that is the most enjoyable to use so save till you can afford that so you don't end up with combos that while less expensive seem to not make it out of the garage to fish.

Art

The Steez is made of magnesium, which increases the price, and has tighter tolerances than any of the other reels mentioned. It is the flagship bass reel for Daiwa (as I believe the Core is for Shimano). I don't know if I can justify the price gap between the Steez and Core as they weight similar and have similar applications.