crotch lake algonquin

super dave

I went up there a couple of times almost 20 yrs. ago but it is probably much the same.

Went with a girlfriend who really wasn't the outdoorsy type and went to Booth Lake both times from there.

There was only a really small portage to Booth.

I fished and caught smallmouth bass all along the area. When at Booth i caught a few small lakers trolling deep diving lure behind canoe.

Apparently there is walleye/pickeral in Crotch and dfecent pike as well.

Check out this post i found, they did good with the fishing there recently.

http://www.ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19933 :Gonefishing:

I was just reading about 'crotch lake" on a walleye forum. Did not leave me with the impression there were lots of walleye in the lake, but certainly seems to be a good one for smallies.

I think there a lakers in there...if so this could explain the walleye situation, as in my experience fishing deeper trout lakes for walleye is difficult, hard to find 'em, but when you do they are decent fish.

anyway...here's the link to the discussion thread, be aware that the thread started in 1999 and has only just got going again.

CROTCH LAKE DISCUSSION

Been there many times and never seen walleye. Doesn't mean they're not there, but there might be another crotch lake.

It was primarily a lake trout and SMB lake, but pike were introduced to downstream yrs ago and they're now probably the dominant fish (at least #'s wise) in that lake.

Go downstream in your canoe and you'll see more pike and bass. Go into booth and others and you'll have better chance at trout...though there are big pike in there now as well.

There are also some brookie ponds nearby that you can hike into.

There are two Crotch Lakes, causing some confusion.

The OP is asking about the one in Algonquin Park.

Some of the replies are referring to the lake north of Kaladar near Bon Echo. We've camped there the last few years and will be again in a few weeks.

I went up there a couple of times almost 20 yrs. ago but it is probably much the same.

Went with a girlfriend who really wasn't the outdoorsy type and went to Booth Lake both times from there.

There was only a really small portage to Booth.

I fished and caught smallmouth bass all along the area. When at Booth i caught a few small lakers trolling deep diving lure behind canoe.

Apparently there is walleye/pickeral in Crotch and dfecent pike as well.

Check out this post i found, they did good with the fishing there recently.

http://www.ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19933 :Gonefishing:

That thread refers to a different Crotch lake (one I grew up fishing extensively no less). He's referring to the one in Algonquin park.

That thread refers to a different Crotch lake (one I grew up fishing extensively no less). He's referring to the one in Algonquin park.

You are right. I went to the one in Algonquin with easy access to Booth Lake and lots of smallies.

The picture report is the Kaladar lake one. Thought it was different place. :dunno:

Edited by ehg

Im not a huge fan of that part of Algonquin.. The best walleye fishing in the park is on the petawawa river in a few lakes around cedar lake. I had one on in Laurel that was a behemoth!! but he decided to swim down and wrap himself around a log. Specks will be hard to catch,, id jig a powerbait grub around structure or just fish the creeks for small ones.