Wabakimi Lake

Pikeslayer8

Awesome report.

I don't eat that well at home lol

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Whopper. I don't eat that well at home either.

My week on Wabakimi is my sacred most valued week of the year for me. It's like Christmas, :santa: Fourth of July, :devil: Thanksgiving, :thumbsup_anim: Boxing Day :canadian: Lol. All rolled all up into one.

Edited by Pikeslayer8

Thanks Whopper. I don't eat that well at home either.

My week on Wabakimi is my sacred most valued week of the year for me. It's like Christmas, :santa: Fourth of July, :devil: Thanksgiving, :thumbsup_anim: Boxing Day :canadian: Lol. All rolled all up into one.

I hear what your saying about your week, I have at least one of them every year, sometimes two which is always a bonus

While we were waiting for our window of opportunity to fly into Wabakimi, I had a nice long chat with my outfitter. What he told me was very disturbing, but not that surprising to hear. :(

In a nutshell, we walk over to his "Wall of Fame of Fallen Fishermen". He shows me some of the fellas who've died and tells me how their group has fallen apart. Now, my outfitter has never confided with me such intricate details of his operation before. He goes further to bemoan the fact of the Fly-in industry is in such a sharp decline with young people not stepping up to take the place of their forefathers. Now he is not looking to get out by any means. His fine son is ready and willing to take the reins when he does retire.

We all on here are pretty much aware of this problem. I place this post on this thread because he told me that even Wabakimi has availability now. Used to be that Wabakimi had a waiting list a mile long back in the day. As it stands, he has long standing groups like mine that he has booked through July but he is considering closing this camp end of July, first of August as opposed to mid September.

Heads up if anybody is interested in going to this unique camp on the walleye factory that is Wabakimi. :good:

You won't find many younger people (like myself) that could ever dream of affording a trip like that, unfortunately...

Yea, I just read the entire thread of "2 days to go before the "X" goes on your ballot."

So sad! Personally, I'd a declined my ballot. :tease:

of course on the flipside, I certainly am not a rich man by any stretch of the imagination. I just have this particular trip as a priority in mine and my boys life. Sure beats going to Disneyland any day!

Edited by Pikeslayer8

• 11 months later...

Another stellar trip to Fabulous Wabakimi! We had good weather for fishing even if a few fronts rolled through.

We arrived in the Fort on Saturday for a flight on Sunday so we took a walk over to Rusty's Flying Service.

My room with a view!

005_zpsvrtlst5d.jpg

Saw a cool Church and cemetary

002_zpswwswiqea.jpg

Saw their new plane and a few old ones that I'm sure I've ridden back in the day.

003_zps19rb7sch.jpg

Flew in Sunday. On the lake in good shape with Bradley my youngest.

062_zpsfe4vlyns.jpg

I even lucked into a niceun

059_zpss5iqrjzr.jpg

What we began to notice right away is that we are catching Blue Walleye. We didn't know why at the time. But after researching , it appears to have been the "Blue Walleye bacteria" that has entered the lake system to produce beautiffly blue colored walleye. The pigment was getting on a towel rubbed on one of the walleye.

Here is my oldest son Brett with a good one.

040_zps9e5izmqj.jpg

039_zpsrfvnjlj7.jpg

Here is my good friend Dave with one.

074_zpsgoccwbvo.jpg

Dave, (Mr. Lindy Rig) catches a nice pike on 6# test on a Lindy. Cool pictorial!

023_zpswfau5hih.jpg

024_zpsgd6wvnn6.jpg

025_zpswqorzsog.jpg

026_zpsilzigedb.jpg

027_zpshur1md0n.jpg

028_zpsmww2vlim.jpg

029_zpsubvet2or.jpg

The other fine gentleman on our trip is Bill Wallace. My dad (RIP) and Bill were best of friends and having him along seemed to bring a piece of my Dad more . We have been on a lot of trips together back in the day and he was just amazing to me how tough this man can "run with the big dogs".

078_zpsx4scjqm8.jpg

049_zpse7qvteom.jpg

048_zpsmu4mxorm.jpg

050_zps0k76oqcz.jpg

051_zpsjciejje9.jpg

Bill with my BIL Pat

037_zpshmzz47l6.jpg

The chow was awesome. I did our regular menu so the pics are like last years (It's in this thread).

Walleye Chowder pictorial!

088_zpsr59mgl7r.jpg

I cooked up some jalapeno bacon crispy and put all the bacon grease in the big pot!

081_zpstcqeepip.jpg

Added celery

080_zpsmjuuhxbf.jpg

And then the onions, peppers and 1 jalapeno

082_zpsgmfh0o5e.jpg

Added the canned cream of potatoe soup with heavy cream and milk

083_zps5fwtxgwq.jpg

5 walleye cubed

084_zpsm1rsu80b.jpg

Wants to stick to the bottom so simmer and stir often.

085_zpshjtl25gj.jpg

Add the bacon crumbled and plenty of tobassco!

086_zpsol1c8dxg.jpg

Bam

087_zpsqapggnpm.jpg

Apple Cherry Grilled Banana Pie

166_zps7apkxlot.jpg

Grilled Beef Tenderloin

157_zpskl5m0kcr.jpg

Blue Cheese Linguine with Buffalo Walleye

057_zpsjobs0iks.jpg

Walleye Wings

054_zps9yvyqwbt.jpg

055_zpsbh7qtfzk.jpg

I feel that my Walleye breading for Walleye Tacos and any fryed walleye is perfected. First I make a wet batter with flour, baking soda, club soda, lemon pepper and tobassco.

120_zpsozdvghkk.jpg

I dredge the fillets through the wet batter, put um in the pan and sprinke a mix of regular Panko, crushed Nacho Cheese Doritoes and the kicker ingrediant is Lime and Chipolte Panko. Cover your fillets completely and let em sit for a few minutes to let em soak in real good.

121_zpspoe3fms2.jpg

Bam

123_zpsvcbye62c.jpg

124_zps06triga6.jpg

Bam Bam!

125_zpsuxyiaoah.jpg

091_zpsbqbfyi0k.jpg

Went to the Old Trappers Camp again.

032_zpsqpmtgztt.jpg

033_zpslseq9bcf.jpg

034_zpsthmdcur4.jpg

035_zpswtfvjzye.jpg

036_zpscrqn7gw8.jpg

Bout over!

010_zpswwejttri.jpg

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd399/Pikeslayer8/th_167_zpsevpmavpd.mp4

Our group in front with the other party from our little hometown in Iowa!

168_zpst5rav5bu.jpg

Thanks for watching! :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

144_zpsayytinga.jpg

143_zpsstkxtgu1.jpg

Edited by Pikeslayer8

Amazing yet again. I think I look more forward to reading about your meals at camp than the fishing or anything else haha

Very cool about the 'blue bacteria' being a recent thing. Most of the lakes around here produce 50-75% blue fish (some VERY blue) and it's always been like that from what I've gathered.

Wow, just fantastic all around! Those walters with the blue tinge look pretty cool

Thanks, the blue ones, and we caught them up to 25" very vibrant in color

Wow! Awesome trip.

Im hungry now too

I know right. Can't eat like that all the time .....even though I may try. :tease:

Amazing yet again. I think I look more forward to reading about your meals at camp than the fishing or anything else haha

Very cool about the 'blue bacteria' being a recent thing. Most of the lakes around here produce 50-75% blue fish (some VERY blue) and it's always been like that from what I've gathered.

Thanks again for your kind word Joeytier. It has been a completely new experience for me and my group to catch these in Wabakimi.

Wow great stuff .... That walleye chowder looks delicious !!!!

Thanks man, I always make a huge batch up like that so I can give the leftover to the pilot, Brad. :santa:

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Another great trip for you guys at Wabakimi. I hope to fish that lake someday.

Just curious,how do you get to Armstrong from Colorado?

Hey Chris,

I left on Friday morning at 3:00am pulled into Baudette Minn at 8:00pm 1150 miles and I pulled it all. The next morning we took it into Ft Francis, got groceries and leeches whereas we flew in the next morning after that. And if I had to walk over burning coals to get there.... well, I would. :canadian:

I'm sure I speak for many of us here. Having a chef, or 2, on a fly-in trip would be about as close to perfection as a person could hope for.

Thanks Frog,

I gotta admit, I was a bit intimidated by Chef Dan and I really buckled down. I made my homemade mustard and a batch of Horseradish Pickle Relish which were good as well,

• 1 year later...

This years trip was different in so many ways. First off, my brother and my 2 boys and I typically go on this June trip with my brother-in-law and my nephews. My youngest nephew Bob, just graduated from medical school, so my BIL asked if he could have our regular week to take up his entire family so we got with our fabulous outfitter, Northern Wilderness Outfitters, and they slotted us in 1 week earlier. We did take a detour from our normal route to visit my BIL and family who were celebrating such a wonderful occasion, however, Bob the new Doctor in the family was not back yet, and not in the picture yet.

003_zpsvnj3alqt.jpg

I was privileged to meet my nephew John's son James for the first time. Long overdue!

004_zpsilhaiqcg.jpg

We drove the rest of the way to Ft. Francis with no issues and no issues at the border crossing. We spent an extra day in the Fort relaxing and getting final foods and baits. We flew out on Monday, May 29th at 7:30AM. Was raining and half way there, we had to put down at Moose Point Lodge on Shikag to wait it out. Well this wasn't so bad for me as Moose Point was where I had my honeymoon 26 years earlier and I enjoyed walking around reminiscing. Wish I had my camera. My new friend Jeromy who was going to Tew lake with us, had his, and took this picture. Ironic as this was one of the last flights for this particular plane before if was flipped in a waterspout in Dryden a few days later.

image2_zpspz1tf4ua.jpg

Well we got into camp after dropping Jeromy off at Tew and it's raining hard. We got camp set up and on the water late afternoon. Well, I did forget my camera and most of us caught our biggest fish of the trip, high 30's pike. We did catch enough for walleye dinner. Water temps were 55-57.

008_zpschsmd6u0.jpg

The next day the weather was worsening rain and wind, but we were out at Rusty's Back Door when the rock guard broke on my motor and had to be towed in as the guard was sprung and the prop was jammed. Cost us several hours, lucky my boys are good mechanics and got another bolt where the first sheared off. Had Walleye Chowder for lunch on this cold day.

009_zpswiifwmxt.jpg

Fishin with Bradley

030_zpsh25xbgyy.jpg

Smoked pork chops and lasagna with garlic bread for dinner. Water temps were 51,52.

011_zpsaipt0nym.jpg

The next day was way worse. The wind was straight from the north and whitecapping our secluded Narrows. We caught no fish and settled for leftover lasagna for lunch, but Brett made his biscuits and gravy for breakfast so no worries of starvation this day. Lol Got out to the Trappers in the afternoon where a mayfly hatch was just beginning, the weather broke and plenty of fish caught. Had steaks, potatoes, mushrooms and finished off with brownies. Water temps @ 53.

Brett

016_zps1dvhiiyo.jpg

Now, one of the big changes on this trip for me was that my wife was dealing with breast cancer that spread to her lymph nodes. I had heard of Chaga and knew it grew in Northern Ontario and have seen it before without knowing what it was, ,so my family took it as a challenge to find mom some Chaga, The Miracle Mushroom to help her fight the cancer. First we looked behind camp and located this. Chaga only grows on birch trees.

026_zpsjo8cti01.jpg

The next day, cool and sunny, we went to the West End. We kept our eyes peeled for a nice birch grove on the way and Bradley spotted the biggest strand of birch on the lake. I took note of this and after we caught many nice fish, we pulled in for a major Chaga harvest off of Budner Bay. We got the Chaga home and my wife has been drinking it as tea ever since we got back. We completely gorged ourselves with Walleye Tacos with Buffalo Sauce for lunch so much so, we were unable to have dinner. That's a first! Fished Trappers till dark! Water temp of 54.

028_zpserc9mkhs.jpg

027_zps4via1hvi.jpg

The next to last full day was another nice weather day. We went to the West End in the morning, more Walleye Tacos and finished at Trappers again. Fishin with my brother. Water temps back up to 59.

037_zps4a0wnqps.jpg

036_zps8ck7i9ne.jpg

035_zpszmdsbc2t.jpg

The last full day, the weather stated to turn for the worst. At the West End in the morning catching more in the mid 20" range finishing up at the Waterfall. Back to camp for a late lunch of Blue Cheese Burgers and were pleased to meet up with my Facebook friend from Oklahoma and some of his guys who stopped by for a drink. What a great gentleman David Campbell is. The rest of the day was a wash.

052_zpsvgm1rbf5.jpg

Blue Cheese Linguini with Buffalo Walleye was dinner.

057_zpsjobs0iks.jpg

Nice rainbows though!

056_zps5vtvl6w5.jpg

With walleye at the end of the rainbow!

058_zpskkw9vzmd.jpg

The boys got their Brother Day and net up a snake.

047_zpsg9nmtbvr.jpg

048_zpsulilol8k.jpg

046_zpsnawkcjlb.jpg

045_zpsoz89re55.jpg

041_zpspuh2ziv8.jpg

039_zpsjm92lwhc.jpg

Couple of hooligans!

033_zpsyb4hvcte.jpg

and a couple of Loons!

029_zpsf8a1juun.jpg

and the biggest Loon!

015_zpsgaj5oghl.jpg

050_zpsnajdp4kt.jpg

Till next year!

024_zps10wq16z4.jpg

The Bennett's and the Dolan's

059_zps9ixx3b6y.jpg

I will say that this trip was the easiest I've been on with just us 4. Everyone knew what was expected of them and the chores went by fast. The sleep that I needed was had as I had the Penthouse to myself. These guys are the best!

Just discovered this gem of a thread......just caught up on 7 yearly trips haha

Wonderful read and pictures to tell your annual story , what an incredible tradition!!

Thanks Blaque,

I only wish I had the additional 33 trips on this thread. Thanks again. :)

wow. Somehow I had missed this thread and just spent a very enjoyable 20 minutes reading the whole thing while putting my daughter bed.

So many outstanding details but what stands out is how much of a family trip it is for you and your crew. You and your sons must have many many great memories that I bet get shared over and over again

Very sorry to hear about your wife. Best of luck to you all.

Thanks for sharing this.

Gordy