Don't you just love mother nature.

Old Man

I would be blaming the installer of that roof for that one. You pay 30+k for a "lifetime roof" to have that happen. Herd of this same thing happening to friends of the family. Payed 30k for a lifetime roof, to be collecting it around the street to ensure it does not cause damage to other people's property (when we had those 100k winds earlier this spring). My roof was done properly, and I just continued on with my day ;)

Edited by Fish4Eyes

I would be blaming the installer of that roof for that one. You pay 30+k for a "lifetime roof" to have that happen. Herd of this same thing happening to friends of the family. Payed 30k for a lifetime roof, to be collecting it around the street to ensure it does not cause damage to other people's property (when we had those 100k winds earlier this spring). My roof was done properly, and I just continued on with my day ;)

This has nothing to do with the construction just local building codes.

In areas where hurricane force winds are common hurricane ties are required for securing the roof trusses to the walls. In Ontario there is no requirement for hurricane ties and when you get very high winds this is what can happen when the trusses are only toe nailed into the wall caps.

This wasn't a 100 kph wind, it was a 100 mph wind (as confirmed by our neighbors weather station) in the form of a tornado. Not much will withstand that.

Edited by Old Man

This wasn't a 100 kph wind, it was a 100 mph wind (as confirmed by our neighbors weather station) in the form of a tornado. Not much will withstand that.

oops, double post

Edited by Old Man

This has nothing to do with the construction just local building codes.

In areas where hurricane force winds are common hurricane ties are required for securing the roof trusses to the walls. In Ontario there is no requirement for hurricane ties and when you get very high winds this is what can happen when the trusses are only toe nailed into the wall caps.

Actually Drifter, I lean toward Fish4eyes assement, the trusses are still there it appears the roof cladding has been torn off by the winds. Regardless OLD MAN youy have my sympathy. Insrance is gonna be a female dog on this one possibly.

Actually Drifter, I lean toward Fish4eyes assement, the trusses are still there it appears the roof cladding has been torn off by the winds. Regardless OLD MAN youy have my sympathy. Insrance is gonna be a female dog on this one possibly.

You're right it's the sheathing that went bye bye.

I guess they didn't use ring shank nails. :rolleyes:

My guess is the wind got under the porch and lifted the whole thing off including the roof sheathing.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

You're right it's the sheathing that went bye bye.

I guess they didn't use ring shank nails. :rolleyes:

My guess is the wind got under the porch and lifted the whole thing off including the roof sheathing.

Actually the porch roof and house roof were separate structures and all the metal was fastened down by 2" screws.

That's brutal , sorry for the loss. Can't believe the patio furniture is still in place through all that.

Twisters are weird that way. We had a cast iron park bench down by the shore that got picked up a thrown 10 feet. The Picnic table near it wasn't even moved.

Yes it is Simon. I figure I won't be getting too much more bass fishing in this summer.

Ah man!

Glad you are all alright!

If you need anything just call...i'm technically and mechanichally useless...but i can lift stuff all day long.

Was that the flash storm on saturday night? I awoke to what sounded like a tornado outside.

Lousy news Old Man, hope you get things fixed up without too much hassle from the insurance company.

Me losing a nice maple tree to a windstorm a few weeks back doesn't seem quite so important anymore after seeing what your going through.

Edited by lew

Ah man!

Glad you are all alright!

If you need anything just call...i'm technically and mechanichally useless...but i can lift stuff all day long.

Was that the flash storm on saturday night? I awoke to what sounded like a tornado outside.

Yes Simon. It was actually 2:30 am Sunday. Both the wife and I woke up to thunder and lightning and got up to close windows. The wind started up suddenly just as we were finishing closing up and it suddenly got very noisy and a banging started up. I looked out to see the 8x8 support posts lifting up and banging down about 6 " off the piles, then it stop and quieted down. Said to the wife that "boy that was a close call, maybe we should go get dressed and wait this out in bathroom" Just as we were about to do that the banging started up again and then a large bang and everything was gone. I though, "my god I hope it was just the porch roof". Then as it sheeted down rain it became quickly apparent that it was more than that. Spent the next few hours moving furniture, setting up buckets and trying to mop up as much water as possible. Our neighbors, 2 lots over also lost their roof and had their ceiling collapse on them in bed. Fortunately they weren't injured. Growing up on the prairies I've seen my share of funnel clouds, including the F5 at Elie. Mb., but this is the closest I've ever been to one.

Thanks for the offer Simon, but the insurance boys have everything covered. The Service Master crew out of Dryden have been great to deal with and I'd highly recommend then to anyone in a similar situation.

Edited by Old Man

Lousy news Old Man, hope you get things fixed up without too much hassle from the insurance company.

Me losing a nice maple tree to a windstorm a few weeks back doesn't seem quite so important anymore after seeing what your going through.

The insurance company was a little slow at getting an adjuster on site to authorize temporary sheeting of the roof, but a call to the head claims manager in T.O. soon put a fire under their you know what. It think it set the mood for our future business relations quite well ;)

Edited by Old Man