I am flying out of Wawa

Terry

I agree with the Sulton Rd. route. I take that way whenever Im head up to that area. Usually stop at the Arctic watershed?? Restaurant (Sultan and 144 junction) for a bite to eat.

As for tackle in Wawa check out the Beachfront Trading post great selectionof tackle, maps and info (14 Broadway Avenue).

Good luck on your trip.

Terry,

I'm sure you've seen those on the CTC shelves.... sort of like a drop shot setup but more robost :) Once you locate those eyes, give the pickerel rig a shot.... I'm sure you'll like them :) They are the perfect setup when anchored :)

Jacques

503.jpg

Here's a link for the specks of it

Pickerel Rig

Edited by Leechman

Jacques, I have been using them for years and have caught my share of walleye and perch on them

they do work great

at one time that was all I used on Balsam lake for pickerel....but now we call them walleye so I didn't know if we were still allowed to use them..... :rofl2:

Jacques, I have been using them for years and have caught my share of walleye and perch on them

they do work great

at one time that was all I used on Balsam lake for pickerel....but now we call them walleye so I didn't know if we were still allowed to use them..... :rofl2:

:rofl2: Terry :lol: I just wasn't sure if you had seen them but now I know.... greatest little walleye gadget on the planet B)

Good luck on your trip :Gonefishing:

I have always like the ones with gold Aberdeen hooks

and used to fish golden shiners or dace with the red strip on them

B) Since you like trolling..... don't forget the Storm Lures Original Hot'N Tot

Hot'N Tot

The one shown at the top of the page is my favorite :whistling:

They are killer for eyes B)

Our fly-in is getting closer aswell Terry 7 weeks and counting and can`t come quick enough,people keep backing out!!! :lol:

I heard bright colours work best orange,yello,chartreuse.

I also heard if you lean over the boat and stick your tongue out they`ll will jump right in your boat!!!

Have a good time there Papa!

30th of July I am flying out of Wawa going with Parks outposts camp

?1. what is the best route to get to Wawa...up the 400/69 then ? fastest route/best route

?2. what tackle do you use for walleye and how do you fish them..........any tackle stores or places I should check out in Wawa...best place to eat dinner the night before and breakfast the morning of the flight..

just trying to maximize my fishing........

?3. what things to you take to make your fly-in trip better that most people/me would forget.

ok maybe I am just getting excited and want to hear a little fly-in chat.......

here pickerel, pickerel, walleye.....pike too

any tidbits can help thanks...........PMs welcomed..LOL

Terry,

When you get to Wawa the first stop is the beer store, second is heading all the way down Broadway and stopping at Beachfront Outfitters and talk to Marcel he will set you straight and empty your wallet and the same time. I cannot go in there without spending countless dollars. Jigs in Pink, Green/yellow will keep you busy on your entire trip, when there pickup some knuckleball jigs...dynomite up here!! After beachfront, if you still have money left head to the Embassy restaurant. You will pass it on your way to Beachfront, it looks kind of grungy, but the food is amazing...try to panzarotti! All there breads are home made and made fresh.

Just got back from the Chapleau area. Water temps were in the mid 70's. We did well with pitching jigs in shallow weed edges. Best colors were chart/black/orange. You will have a great time. Good luck.

I will second the Columbia as the place to eat in Wawa.

I have eaten at The Columbia a few times. Had a decent meal there each time. The place across the street from them (can remember the name) has always been very busy as well (never eaten there though). The Bristol motel is clean and the rooms are spacious.

Have been to Esnagi lake/Mar Mac lodge (fly in out of White River) and, assuming your lake is similar, I have had success on 1/4 oz jigs w/ a 3 in white Gulp twister tail tipped with half a crawler or a leech, or simply a bare jig tipped with either. one tip I can share is that I always have a separate rod rigged with a live bait rig--a long snell (anywhere from 2-4 ft) with one or 2 hooks. I place a few beads above the hook and one on your main line where you tie the snell on. A 1/4 or 3/8 oz walking sinker above your swivel completes the rig. I have found that when the walleye bite is finicky, they will often hit a live bait rig when they will not touch a jig. I think it's because the rig stays in the strike zone longer, particularly if the fish are suspended. If they are suspended, just slip on one or 2 "floats" (small, colored styrofoam piece with a hole bored in the middle--Gander or Cabela's sells them) to your rig and it will rise further in the water column.

Just find the outside of the weed edges (typically at 10 ft or so) and either should produce.

Enjoy your trip. For the 1st time in over 30 yrs, did not make it to God's country this year, and I'm going into serious withdrawl....!!!

I moved last year and my new neighbor across the street owns MarMac lodge and White River Air...the old guy behind me used to fly for them and a lot of other airways...could be a neat new hood

edited to add, there is no way I would miss the drive along Superior to save an hour on a gravel road through Sultan and Chapleau

Edited by Dara

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

there is no way I would miss the drive along Superior to save an hour on a gravel road through Sultan and Chapleau

agreed. that drive is terribly flat and boring.

A few years ago, we went with Parks Fly In to their Cam Lk/ Little Missinaibi Lk camp. It's pretty close to Abbey (we checked out the portage from Elbow to Abbey). Can't really give you any great tips, we did well with jigs and twister tails (no live bait needed). If the wind is pounding on a rocky shore, try casting minnow baits into the choppy waves near shore.

I know Solopaddler has been to Little Miss., pretty sure he's at Abamasagi this week though

have a great trip, ask if you want any more info