I am flying out of Wawa

Terry

30th of July I am flying out of Wawa going with Parks outposts camp

?1. what is the best route to get to Wawa...up the 400/69 then ? fastest route/best route

?2. what tackle do you use for walleye and how do you fish them..........any tackle stores or places I should check out in Wawa...best place to eat dinner the night before and breakfast the morning of the flight..

just trying to maximize my fishing........

?3. what things to you take to make your fly-in trip better that most people/me would forget.

ok maybe I am just getting excited and want to hear a little fly-in chat.......

here pickerel, pickerel, walleye.....pike too

any tidbits can help thanks...........PMs welcomed..LOL

LOL...it could happen

someone told me up 144 was faster, but if I go on main roads it looked longer unless they were talking about that logging road that goes pass Saltan 667 or whatever it's called

400 to 69 Sudbury and then west to Sault on 17. 17 north to Wawa from the Sault. You don't want to miss the drive along Lake superior from the Sault to Wawa. Bring your regular Walleye gear but make sure you have a bunch of yellow jigs with it.

Say Hi in the way through the Sault if you get a chance.

3 cameras, so one should survive

I have eaten at The Columbia a few times. Had a decent meal there each time. The place across the street from them (can remember the name) has always been very busy as well (never eaten there though). The Bristol motel is clean and the rooms are spacious.

Have been to Esnagi lake/Mar Mac lodge (fly in out of White River) and, assuming your lake is similar, I have had success on 1/4 oz jigs w/ a 3 in white Gulp twister tail tipped with half a crawler or a leech, or simply a bare jig tipped with either. one tip I can share is that I always have a separate rod rigged with a live bait rig--a long snell (anywhere from 2-4 ft) with one or 2 hooks. I place a few beads above the hook and one on your main line where you tie the snell on. A 1/4 or 3/8 oz walking sinker above your swivel completes the rig. I have found that when the walleye bite is finicky, they will often hit a live bait rig when they will not touch a jig. I think it's because the rig stays in the strike zone longer, particularly if the fish are suspended. If they are suspended, just slip on one or 2 "floats" (small, colored styrofoam piece with a hole bored in the middle--Gander or Cabela's sells them) to your rig and it will rise further in the water column.

Just find the outside of the weed edges (typically at 10 ft or so) and either should produce.

Enjoy your trip. For the 1st time in over 30 yrs, did not make it to God's country this year, and I'm going into serious withdrawl....!!!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

for food in wawa i'd recommend the kinniwabi pines (on the side of highway 17 just outside wawa). they have some real good good. i also liked the restaurant at the wawa motor inn but it wasn't anything special.

not much there for tackle i don't think so come well supplied... jigs, cranks, spinner rigs etc.

i'm pretty jealous.

I was just up wawa way last week. Kinniwabi pines was recommended as a place for a nice sit down meal. There is a place just after that before you go into wawa, by the gas station, something kitchen that is a dive, but has great burgers. The Canadian Tire in town, the clothing part on the side, has a selection of what looked like locally made worm harnesses. There is also a tackle store in town, right by the lake, across from the chinese restaurant. I didn't go in, but they may be able to give you some tips.

The driving directions that you have already received sound right to me.

Have a great trip!

I live in Sudbury and used to work in Wawa. I would take 144 to the Sultan Road, cut across the Sultan Rd to Chapleau and down 101. Would make it from Sudbury to Wawa in usually less than 4 hours dpending on the condition of the road between the Watershed and Sultan

Thanks, you bet I will have fun

it's still 12 days away but can't fish so I am dreaming about the trip and getting things together I need

fishgreg, good info

northernboy, just how bad is the road, when I was on it last years ago , it truly was a logging road with washouts and lots of washboard type conditions

Terry, which lake are you flying into with Parks? I flew out with them with Solo a few years back and we had a awesome time.

The Sultan rd is about 77kms or so, and it won't be that bad this time of year. It saves you about an hour or so on the overall trip.. Make sure you have a spare tire though. I've taken it numerous times without issue.

another question

On Fly-ins

do you still fish

or

do you troll most of the time

I troll more then I still fish

Terry:

I will often troll to find fish, then throw out a marker and dunk w/ a jig or harness/bait rig over the same area. A great search bait for me is a Thin fin (made by Storm). I like it because it only dives to 3 ft or so and you can fish it in shallow waters w/ weeds and not get a lot of salad. I usually place a small split shot about 18 in above the lure to get me 1 more ft of depth if I need it. Silver w/ a blue tint, fire tiger, and perch work for me. Last yr on Esnagi (Aug) we had a stretch of 90 degree days and dead flat calm and our best success was trolling. They did not want a subtle approach like a jig. That's the beauty of fishing: the fish will eventually tell you what they want!!!

Good luck.

As far as baits all you'll need are some harnesses and big stick baits.... If the lake you are flying into has a decent population of walleye, you'll smash them on both. It doesn't get much better then trolling after dark with big sticks baits!!!

I have lots of harnesses and a flat of worms and plastics

and I do like stick baits when dark.......seems like the same things work everywhere up there

I was thinking of finding a folding minnow trap at a tackle store and try catching some minnows up there, I will not have leeches unless I get them on me swimming up there

another question

On Fly-ins

do you still fish

or

do you troll most of the time

I troll more then I still fish

I've never been on a fly-in but the way I fish for walleye is as follows:

I use a 1/4oz jig with twister tail tip with live leech or worm in shallow waters and 1/2oz in deeper / current waters. My preferred jig color is white, chartreuse for twister tail (the double twister is even better) Once on the fishing grounds, I like to drift and jig.... making bottom contact is key.... not into trolling much.

On windy days, use of a trolling motor is bonus to keep boat position and also to keep your vertical presentation on Q... A marker booey is good to have.... once you start catching them, throw it over board so not to loose the hot spot.

Another method I've used is anchored using a pickerel rig that you can purchase at CTC or Walmart.... I rig both hooks with live leeches.... trick is to keep contact with bottom.... any pickerel / fish in the vicinity will get them to strike.... lots of fun when you can hook into 2 at a time :) Don't forget that those pickerel rigs require bell sinkers so you may want to purchase a small container if you don't have any.

Hope this helps and have a great time on your trip:)

Jacques