0 Luck with carp

crossover

I have been out 4 times for carp this year, and on each outing I have been skunked. And whenever I am there, someone else always manages to pull one out. I have been mainly using corn on hair rig and jumbo maize. I have noticed a few times that my rod tip was tapping, but anytime I set the hook there is nothing there. What would you guys recommend doing for really murky water?

This may be a slower time of the year in terms of carp fishing as they are just recovering from all the sex haha. That said though some would still feed and especially since others around you were catching you know you could get them.

If your hair rig is set up properly, you shouldn't need to set the hook. The idea of the hair rig is for the fish to hook itself, the moment you lift your rod up and lean into the fish should be all it takes to bury the hook in. If you saw your rod tip tapping, that's very good sign. Either the fish was swimming around your bait pile feeding, and bumping into your line, or they were actually mouthing your hookbait but spitting it back out. (if you watch some underwater videos you'll see that this happens alot, with the perfect hair rig set up fish would still manage to mouth it and not get hooked, there are other rigs/methods of fishing that may increase hooking % but that's another debate). Be patient when you see the bumps, eventually they'll get to your hookbait.

Keep at it. You will get one. I don't even remember how many times I have skunked until I got my first one. Even now I still have my fair share of skunking days :whistling:

Do let us know when you get your first!

Like Victor said, it is the hardest time of year for carp. They are still catchable just not as easy as a few weeks ago.

Keep at it. Changing your rig, bait, presentation may get you fish but confidence in what you do plays a big role too. Honestly speaking, if I can catch a carp every 10 minutes every time I go fishing, I may not like it as much as I do now. It's when you are not catching that you learn more about fishing.

This year has been a weird year for me. Normally I'd be all over them by now. Every year I would start off for carp at Humber Bay ponds but this year there wasn't anything in those ponds Some folks said that they all died. That would have been a great place for you to start off your first catch. Because that's all there is in those man made ponds. Stocked with with carp. Once you figure out how the fish takes your bait you'll know they when they hit and where ever you go they all hit thea same way.

I'm still in search for some car action even tho it's tough now into the season of hot weather. They usually just float on the surface not willing to go for any bait including corn when no rain is in the forcast.

Only ground bait will stir them up now.

karper

This year has been a weird year for me. Normally I'd be all over them by now. Every year I would start off for carp at Humber Bay ponds but this year there wasn't anything in those ponds Some folks said that they all died. That would have been a great place for you to start off your first catch. Because that's all there is in those man made ponds. Stocked with with carp. Once you figure out how the fish takes your bait you'll know they when they hit and where ever you go they all hit thea same way.

I'm still in search for some car action even tho it's tough now into the season of hot weather. They usually just float on the surface not willing to go for any bait including corn when no rain is in the forcast.

Only ground bait will stir them up now.

karper

Apparently there was a huge die off this winter. And I have fished those ponds before, the ones I have caught have been fairly small.