In honor of the lowly Point and Shoot

JBen

I'm on many boards, some devoted to fishing or hunting, some devoted to other outdoor pursuits (camping, canoeing, hiking,etc), some devoted to photography. Mostly I read, and every now and then I chime in where there two worlds collide....usually when people who love the outdoors, are posting pics asking for photography advice etc. Who am I? Just another poster on many Outdoors boards with a passion for photography, like many here. Today that passion has me a contributing photographer to OOD, freelancing for many others, (OC, TFFJ etc) with hundreds of images published in various magazines, calendars, represented by a global stock agency and more. Point being, Im just a "poster" like anyone else who loved taking pictures of all the things we see/do, and now today am successful on a regional/national level as an "outdoors" photographer.

Carrying on.

One common theme I often come across on hunting/fishing/outdoors boards goes like this.

"I'm looking for a new camera". Im thinking about a DSLR because...................But I'm not sure if I want to spend the money...(make no mistake, photogrpahy and DSLRs "can" get really expensive although it doesn't have to. One thing I will sometimes ask the poster is why are the not "considering" a Point and Shoot. The simple truth is, PnS's have many advantages over DSLRs and "cost" far, far less.

So in honor of the "lowly" PnS. Post some of your pictures here if they were taken with a PnS. Lets see them.

Heres just a couple of mine to get the ball rolling.

p386091377-5.jpg

p187781378-5.jpg

p963218405-4.jpg

p645414076-6.jpg

Edited by JBen

Much of digital photography is perfected in post production. One of the main reasons that DSLR's have become an industry standard is because of their capacity to shoot RAW files (among many other reasons). This gives photographers ample opportunities to refine their images and get the perfect "look". As well, I really like the sepia tone and high contrast of the fly casting shot, but at full resolution I would be able to tell the difference between a PnS and DSLR image. Another reason I love my DSLR is for it's continual shooting option. During a fly cast, you can take 20 shots of your cast and simply choose the best one, rather than hoping for perfect timing (or 3 second burst) with a PnS.

That being said, I fully agree that PnS's have the capability of producing great images, and serve most casual functions just as well if not better than DSLR's. I would love to grab a nice "everything proof" PnS for underwater shots, fishing and hiking just to ease my mind. I started with PnS, but once I began learning more about functions and features of DSLR's, it was an easy transition to make :)

Edited by ctranter

I agree Ctranter, and in part your two paragraphs address my points and the reason I started this.

On one hand.

If your serious about photography, or you want to go "deeper" into it, or you have stringent needs.

A DSLR is for you.

On the other

DSLRs are overkill for some/many don't overlook the "lowly" PnS.

Hence my post, I think PnSs have a "stigma" and while it may have been true at one time, it's not anymore.

To emphasis a couple things.

How many people "really" need to critically review files at full res? Unless you print 24x36 (and larger) no one really. Even at those sizes a Canon G12 is more than capable.

And I do have files that even at 100% would be very difficult to determine which came a DSLR and which the PnS. And to take this one further, an untrained eye would find it even that much more difficult to distinguish. See other thread.

Same can be said of "glass".

Put a picture in front of me at 100% and I can see the differences between consumer glass and "Pro" glass.

So if someone is going to want to be "that" critical... If you look at the two sample pics I provided in the other thread. The cover shot was taken with a 24-70 f2.8 L. The lens alone cost 3 times more than a good PnS. On this front, I would shoot with my PnS before using a "kit" lens..better IQ.

RAW

Agreed, I only shoot raw...both with my DSLR and PnS. Lots of PnS offer RAW. That said, I rarely and I mean rarely tweak exposure's in post. Get it right in camera.

Be that as it may, again...theres two schools (hobbiest, enthusiest....someone more serious)...As an extreme example.Raw means a converter...CS5 add another $900 to your "investment".

Consumer grade body and moderate lens? Now you need a good/solid tripod upwards of 100, 200 vs a $40 pod that can hold a PnS.

The main gist and Im hoping people will add some pics.

"Todays" PnSs have made leaps and bounds and are fully capable of producing images that rival images taken with a DSLR and "L" glass. Can you capture fast action ( compete with fps). No, you can snipe..Shutter lag on many is not an issue. Are they are good in low light (high ISO). No, but you can remedy that in post if you really want.

For many people who just want a camera (something to have with them when out and about), who dont want/or need to be "picky" a good PnS is a very, very viable option

for a fraction of the price. DSLRs are great, but for many they are also overkill.

Edited by JBen

I did post some of my P&S pics in another thread so I won't duplicate those here, but they turned out not too bad. But to contribute, here's one that I liked a lot and was my favorite pic of mine until recently. I took it long before I knew anything about photography, with an Epson PhotoPC 650 1MP, held in my hands. It was a lucky shot, really.

images61w1500h1500q90.jpeg

I know there are benefits to both, but there are things I can't do with my P&S that I wish I could... Polarizing filters, high zoom, wide angle, gradients, etc.. But as I learned with my musical endeavors, sometimes working with limits can breed creativity. I'd kinda rather try (and hopefully succeed) to get good shots with a crappy (comparatively) camera, rather than get just decent shots with something that costs about as much as I paid for any of my vehicles over the years.

My P&S that I use now is a Canon PowerShot SX130 IS, and I paid less than $200 for it last Christmas. It has a few features that my previous cameras did not have, such as manual, Av, and Tv modes, up to 15 seconds shutter time, 12x optical zoom, image stabilizer for when not shooting on a tripod, HD720p video recording, and more. It's enough for me for now, but my next camera I'd like it to have RAW capabilities. But this cam is a huge step up from the camera that took the above pic. Not only was there a decade difference between the two, but that Epson didn't even have zoom or flash or much of anything! But it did have threads for lenses. My previous P&S had a super macro mode which is curiously absent from my current one. I miss that mode...

In all honesty, I will probably stick to P&S for the rest of my life. I don't have much money to split between my hobbies (music, gaming, fishing, photography) so if I limit myself to P&S, I think I will get by. And yeah, you can get nice shots with them. I guess I am just not too good a judge of my own work.

There's also the fact that P&S are very portable. I could slip my cam into my pocket if I needed to.

Oh yeah, and I know people who own DSLRs, they have only one lens that came with it, and they shoot in full auto the entire time. You'd never know they spent a couple grand on a camera. :\

Also, check this out (there are a few others in the series):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUkKtkEZNjs

Edited by Dana

Well said Dana (nice pic smile.gif )and supports what I tried to suggest.

There are alot of "advantages" to PnSs. Size and weight...My back pack when Im loaded with a body, 3-4 lenses, some accessories can weighs upto 60 pounds and many more. While they can't do everything a DSLR can, if you work within their limits and strengths their IQ can rival that of the best bodies and lenses such that any "difference" is slight.

I guess I am just not too good a judge of my own work.

More likely your like many photographers, very critical of their own work. I delete stuff I'm sure (actually I know) many people say...Why?

Edited by JBen

I am a SLR owner..Probally should have a PnS, I do like the auto fire feature among many other things on my SLR. I took these pics from my sons PnS the other day at the river..This thing takes amazing photo's and shoots 720p HD video..Very nice..Here are some pics from said PnS

DSCF0208.jpg

DSCF0207.jpg

DSCF0193.jpg

DSCF0204.jpg

DSCF0195.jpg

DSCF0192.jpg

DSCF0191.jpg

DSCF0182.jpg

As you can see some of these pics are incredible..I may just repo his birthday gift for a few fishing trips...lol

Good thread. I was hesitant to purchase an slr, but finally bit the bullet. I actually did more shooting with my p&s's than I do now with my slr's. I just don't seem to have the time anymore. Anyways, here's a few of my favorites from my point and shoots.

squirrelchomp-1.jpg

Wallpaper2.jpg

frog-1.jpg

sungiant.jpg

Scenery5.jpg

chipfog1.jpg

McKay4.jpg

• 1 month later...

J, might I ask if that is Ray in your top two shots?

I haven't seen him in months

WRT PnS I too have gone back to them.

I use a panasonic waterproof for my fishing and a GF1 micro for the rest.

about a year ago I sold off all my Nikon gear save for a 50mm which works on my micro.

Had a D700 with some nice glass but found it was usually the one left behind, so that's where

I'm at currently.

There are days when I miss firing off a ton of frames for sports and the like, but not very often.

The quality form the micro is fantastic for my needs for now.

Edited by registerfly

J, might I ask if that is Ray in your top two shots?

I haven't seen him in months

WRT PnS I too have gone back to them.

I use a panasonic waterproof for my fishing and a GF1 micro for the rest.

about a year ago I sold off all my Nikon gear save for a 50mm which works on my micro.

Had a D700 with some nice glass but found it was usually the one left behind, so that's where

I'm at currently.

There are days when I miss firing off a ton of frames for sports and the like, but not very often.

The quality form the micro is fantastic for my needs for now.

first 2 shots I don't recall and Im in the midst of revamping my website (hence why thieve gone).

The 2 remaining shots I do think that was his name. I was out with Mike B and Randy and met him/them on the river.

Ive been looking at micros myself lately,

J

I shoot an SLR and camera phone

Favorite SLR shots:

4971945424_16a21401c7.jpg

Duck3 by nate.follmer, on Flickr

4493713240_bd836fb7c4.jpg

Bee In Flight by nate.follmer, on Flickr

4399650030_02c7f83d6f.jpg

Irish Brigade 63rd, 69th and 88th New York Infantry Monument Light by nate.follmer, on Flickr

4385124776_b54a4ef6f6.jpg

GranvilleTrainBridge by nate.follmer, on Flickr

4358785831_ac2c089a9b.jpg

Sachs Bridge by nate.follmer, on Flickr

Favorite Camera Phone shots:

4381628585_c56780d3a9.jpg

Snake by nate.follmer, on Flickr

4453806399_332eabe702.jpg

Tea Creek Trout by nate.follmer, on Flickr

4537393141_06d67f5871.jpg

Faylor Sunset by nate.follmer, on Flickr

5113823377_879f953135.jpg

Rainbow Trout by nate.follmer, on Flickr

There's advantages to both, some shots would be impossible without an SLR, but those situations are rare. I use it mainly for the control. Easier to get it right in the camera than it is to play in Photoshop ;)

• 2 weeks later...