Stoney Lake: Mid-June

T-Bone

Taking the family up in mid-June to Stoney Lake...I believe it's our 3rd or 4th trip to that lake. Have spent many years on Pigeon, and several on Lake Kipawa, QC with the guys.

I know we can catch panfish all day long, and the kids like that. I've had decent success with largemouth bass, also quite easy to catch. But I've never had much luck with the walleyes. What might you suggest in terms of good walleye tactics for Stoney? I like to jig fish and that's my bread-n-butter on Kipawa, but the fish on Stoney always seem scattered and jigging is a long-shot technique most of the time.

Back-trolling the weedlines with narrow cranks? Thashing the weeds with bucktail jigs?

Insights, experiences and suggestions are appreciated.

Stoney is hard to fish walleye. Back when I use to fish stoney we would look for cliff rocks on the shore, they usually have a complete drop off and would just use minnows. But i am sure mr. twisters would work great. I would say look for sholes with drop offs of them in the 20 foot range and maybe some weeds around them.....weeds are not hard to find on stoney thats for sure....and tons and tons of rocks.

I spent a week up there last summer at the south west side of the lake.

Tons of pan fish near shore great for the kids

Had some luck with a pike and bass

Also landed a few walleys (2 a day, nothing too big < 2lbs)

I did see a 5 lber caught in the mid day hot sun!

Best technique I found for walley was find islands with good drop offs and just troll, drift jigs thru the drop offs

Tip with worm, leech or minnow.

Good luck.