Lake Nipissing vacation

cynmar

Over the last couple years on the French, fishing was hard and not very successful. This year was different. Went up to a little cottage place called Cosy Cove Cottages on the south shore of Lake Nipissing. Bud and Linda are great, rustic cottages and clean. Thanks to Bud who revealed some if his secret spots reserved for clients. Storm went through the day before we got there so wasn't expecting much. Smallmouth just would not stop biting , it was joyous. For the next six days through wind, (4 ft. waves outside the bay) and varying temperatures I got to enjoy spectacular smallmouth fishing. Pictures to follow. The whole week was spent using baby bass colour or another green colour I can't rembember 5" Yamamoto senkos. These baits produced when nothing else worked for others. Got a couple hits on the Live Target crawfish, and a set with the tungsten worm weight and Yum craw pepi worked the first day. Also got into some pickerel and perch and a large drum. The pickerel hit on a #5 Mepps spinner bait which I had never experienced before. 22" long and released to swim another day. We kept a few fish for some lovely meals and watched some beautiful big bass swim away. I was lovely.

Bill:

124.jpg

023.jpg

001.jpg

076.jpg

Edited by fishingBill

Bill,

Some of my best memories of Nipissing were the days when the smallies were on fire. They fight harder pound for pound than any other fish and right to the boat. Makes for an amazing day or even week for that matter when you can do no wrong on the water landing fish after fish.We used to have days like that with the walleye as well but in true Nipissing fashion the fish seem to go in cycles from one year to the next like you suggested in your post so its always a hit and miss until you figure out whats biting.

Glad you had a great vacation !!