Fishing lake trout from a canoe?

Broker

Im going up to killbear near parry sound and i only have a canoe , i know they have made a name for themselves for having plenty of lake trout , BUT there deep and im in a canoe , would vertical jigging work?

Sure it will work, the challenge is locating them and knowing where in the water column they are. "Trolling" allows you to cover some water and maybe find some fish if you are fishing unknown water. I have used a three way swivel to get lures down to lake trout. I don't think I've needed more than 2oz from a canoe, and more likely 1oz or-1 1/2oz

Definitely try and get yourself some of those 3 way swivels bud. You'll want to get a pretty decent amount of weight on there, below the spoon. Without some added weight, once you start trolling, the spoon will just rise up in the water, and probably too high.

Heres a good video that shows the setup kicking frog is talking about, i think.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUWFP2Z3ZXc

Edited by fish_finder

Get youself a portable fishfinder, not only will it allow you to find bait fish (the trout wont be far behind) and mark what depth the trout are roaming...you can find structure and actually watch the trout hit.

Watching the trout's reaction to your presentation will tell you lots too....like if they actually like what your offering and also how they want you to serve it to them, generally trout want to chase.

I just did a post straight jigging walleye yesterday using my fishfinder....and here's a dsample video of some Laker fishing i did last year......

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RjaVaoRriSc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am going to go for lakers in the morning and i have a better camera now...but have a look at minute 1:28 on the above video and my Lac Seul report i have just posted for an idea of what i'm talking about and if i go tomorrow i'll spend some time video my set up and the fish on the screen(lol...hopefully there will be some fish).

Hope this helps.

Simon.

PS...the swivel set up is good too though...just thoght i'd share what works for me and since you said you wanted to jig...this method is a no brainer....if you have a fishfinder.

Edited by limeyangler

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

vertical jigging is sort of a needle in a haystack approach.

i spend much of time fishing lakers in a canoe. they are more than willing to bite but i would be doing so with either a 3 way rig with 2 oz of weight or a walleye bottom bottom bouncer.

Gobys havent affected the smallmouth in a negative way Erie is full of them and the fish are eatting them like crazy thats why companies are making baits that look like gobies and they work well. They are an invasive species but they are just another food for smallies.

Edited by Live2fish85