Secret to Carp fishing?

umKthxbye

I went fishing for pike and bass today since I was bored at home.

I jumped on my bike and went to a new spot called Anglers Bay in Kingston.

I started casting and got snagged on a rock, then I saw something looking at my lure and it looked like a fish, but I took it for a rock till it moved.

At first I though it was a BIG 10lb bass. I got un-snagged and started casting again when I saw about 4 more, and they were 2-3 feet under the surface of the water.

One came in close to shore and I then saw that it was a carp. I started trying to entice a bite but nothing. I went through my entire tackle box that I had with me spoons, jigs, bluefox spinners, and plastics of all shapes/size/color, added gulp spray and nothing worked. I then went home, up hill :(, and got my worms that were in the fridge from a while ago. When I got back they were still there.

I put a worm on a hook and still no interest. Although those little bugger sunfish and perch like the offering:blush:.

I read that you needed to use stinky bait to catch Carp. What should I be bringing next time I go there to catch these suckers?

I've never caught one before and heard they are a great fight, these were about 24" long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.:thumbsup_anim:

corn from the can is good, worm is good as well. although at certain times of the day they are not active, which was probably the case. i fish for them at night. they can be caught during the day. I usually catch them on the bottom, number of ways to fish for them, i usually fish for the with a feeder and the hook down bellow on a hair rig...look it up how this rig is done.basically you attract them with the feeder and they feed on it and they hair rig is there with the corn or boilies they suck it and they hook themselves.

Carp like things that are a little sweeter ... they could not care for how rotten, stinky, or rancid the bait is (like a catfish usually prefers). I am certain you could catch em on twinkies or oreos ...

I have found one of the better carp baits to be the cheapest white bread you can buy (like Wonderbread) ... Decrust it and roll it into a ball on the hook. If your sight fishing, be careful on setting the hook too soon, a carp will mouth the bait before deeming it edible, unless its a feeding frenzy ... then make sure your holding your rod. I have put many hooks and breadballs off of my forehead trying to set the hook as the carp spit it back out.

I have had great luck with the canned peaches and cream corn, I know a few guys that add a little kool-aid (strawberry flavor) to the corn to supposedly make it more enticing to the carp and a lot stickier for themselves.

When putting the corn on the hook ... bury the hook in corn, the carp will spit it out quickly if it senses the hook, I prefer a smaller hook (a hook you might use for a roe bag when salmon and trout fishing).

For the setup, if there is no current a few split shots for weight to cast. If there is a current, I will use a 3 way setup. A heavier weight to keep it where I want it and let the bread/corn float a little further downstream.

Edited by ThatGuy

Check out this thread I posted last year... Doesn't get any simpler than this!

http://www.ofncommun...=1entry484406

Good luck!

Sweet, Ill grab a can of corn tomorrow and give it a try. Since I know where they hang out.

Ill throw a bunch in the area and set of my hook.

The ones I saw were swimming 2-3 feet under the surface of the water. I saw on average 2-5 at a time in that depth. Would there be more deeper?

I'm using 50lb sufix 832 and 25lb berkley fluro leader on my custom 7' Heavy power fast action baitcaster.

I should be ok to get them in with that?

I only have my new custom rod, a 6'6 vendetta baitcaster and a 6'6 MH berkley lighting shock spinning setup.

How much of a fight am I going to expect?

Most fish I catch don't give me a good fight, including 27" pikes.

Let say I'm right and the carp are 18-24" long, how would this compare to a pike of 27" or a 2lb smallie?

Thanks again.

I'm still laughing about corn.:clapping:

wow, there are 2 Musky Mike.

1 with a space, and 1 with out. didn't notice that before now.

Yes, that IMPOSTER signed up not too long ago hahahahah Kidding. MUSKY MIKE with a space has been a regular contributor since he joined which is great. There could be 36 of us, but know I will always be the original. hahahah Kidding (kinda) :clapping:

Sweet, Ill grab a can of corn tomorrow and give it a try. Since I know where they hang out.

Ill throw a bunch in the area and set of my hook.

The ones I saw were swimming 2-3 feet under the surface of the water. I saw on average 2-5 at a time in that depth. Would there be more deeper?

I'm using 50lb sufix 832 and 25lb berkley fluro leader on my custom 7' Heavy power fast action baitcaster.

I should be ok to get them in with that?

I only have my new custom rod, a 6'6 vendetta baitcaster and a 6'6 MH berkley lighting shock spinning setup.

How much of a fight am I going to expect?

Most fish I catch don't give me a good fight, including 27" pikes.

Let say I'm right and the carp are 18-24" long, how would this compare to a pike of 27" or a 2lb smallie?

Thanks again.

I'm still laughing about corn.:clapping:

be prepared for long fast runs that may even spool your reel if your not carefull... the key here is setting your reel to free-spool and then sit back and relax... when line starts to peel... pick up your rod and engage the reel... it may take a while before you get a strike... also... i dont usualy catch many carp i can see... believe it or not carp are one of the smartest fish around... if you see them.... they see you... i would try casting just farther than you can see then sit back and wait... do not walk around looking at/for fish cause if they see you... they might not feed for a while

carp are a blast... if you catch one i garountee youll try to get another... if there is a tackle shop with carp gear near where you live i would ask them for info... also... there are thousands of carp videos on youtube... and loads of "how to" videos...

you can check out my slideshow if youd like... shows you what you can expect for possible size

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkjqoHtLTjc

LOL, really!??? Corn?

Like soft in a can corn, or hard dried corn?

What type of hook should I use?

lol, corn.

If you use the hard corn (maize...from a feed store...much cheaper) be sure to give it a good boil first or a long soak to soften...good for tossing out to prebait or as your hook-bait...

You can flavour the corn as you wish...I might try garlic next time...just used the last of my anise...some swear by strawberry Kool-aid...sometimes all I use is salt and brown sugar as it boils...

And, do they fight?...you will think you have hooked on to a locomotive...keep an eye on your rod at all times and if you are using a bait caster leave it on "free-spool"...

Edited by Beans