Erie walleye

HTHM

I am taking two brothers in law out next week for pickeral and am asking if someone could PM me some spots that I could try. I will be launching at Port Maitland, and do not have the first clue as to what to use or where to go. I have dipsey divers to get the baits down. My lowest trolling speed on the main motor is 2.5MPH. Any help is welcome!

This is a chance for us to compare BC fishing to Ontario fishing.....

I am taking two brothers in law out next week for pickeral and am asking if someone could PM me some spots that I could try. I will be launching at Port Maitland, and do not have the first clue as to what to use or where to go. I have dipsey divers to get the baits down. My lowest trolling speed on the main motor is 2.5MPH. Any help is welcome!

This is a chance for us to compare BC fishing to Ontario fishing.....

I fish the shallow 5 foot grand river for walleye using floating rapalas, although im not sure this would work in the lake as they would be deeper. perhaps try to throw jigs or a deep diver down?

I don't know about port maitland but they are on fire in pt burwell right now lots of guys doing really well but the eye's are way out there in like 65-68FOW some guys are getting them in closer but no numbers all the double digit catches I have heard are way out. Origanal raps on dipsies and spoons in ugly colors most body baits will work to you just need to get them down to the fish. Oh and the steelhead will hit all the baits ya throw for eye's to.

Fished Maitland a lot, just not this year. Good news is you don't have to go anywhere near the distance offshore to get 60+ feet of water that they do west of Long Point. 2.5 mph is fine and dipsies are a good choice. Not as many Bows as west end so I prefer worm harnesses and body baits rather than spoons, just set up and watch for fish on the graph or rods :whistling: and work em. Best part if the walleye don't pan out you can always move inshore with spinning gear and tubes and get into some great smallie fishin.

I don't know about port maitland but they are on fire in pt burwell right now lots of guys doing really well but the eye's are way out there in like 65-68FOW some guys are getting them in closer but no numbers all the double digit catches I have heard are way out. Origanal raps on dipsies and spoons in ugly colors most body baits will work to you just need to get them down to the fish. Oh and the steelhead will hit all the baits ya throw for eye's to.

I agree with shawn, ive hit maitland to crystal beach with no success on the eyes.

Port burwell is the place to be Albertbiggrin.gif

Good Luck with the fishing there.

As an aside; was in a Loblaws today and they were selling Lake Erie PICKERAL not walleye.

If Loblaws sells pickeral then that is probably the right thing to call them. :lol:

As an aside; was in a Loblaws today and they were selling Lake Erie PICKERAL not walleye.

If Loblaws sells pickeral then that is probably the right thing to call them. :lol:

FISH ON! :whistling::lol::lol:

I looked in the University of Guelph library scientific journals and it seems that them science types consider Pickerel and Walleye to be to separate fish... and it's Walleye that is the more common fish in Ontario. Pikerel just seems to be like a slang thing for Walleye.

It was bugging me so I had to look it up.

I'd first try running you baits around 30' down over deeper water. Compared to Port Burwell/Bruce the temperature bands are more spread out in the Port Maitland area so moving your baits to different depths may be required.

Temp Transects

2.5-3 mph should be a good trolling speed.

For running lines without dipsy's try deep running Reef Runners (800 series) as these will run down almost 30'.

Also harnesses behind bottom bouncers will get down deeper.

Purples, orange/black & pinks seem to be the hotter colours further west on Erie.

For spoons either copper or gold backs seem to produce better than silver.

Edited by Woodsman

On the bottom, or above the fish?

That depends on your fishing area....in deep water where they are suspending, above them....but right now in areas east of Point Abino MANY are being caught on the bottom drifting or trolling worm harnesses. The bite is on so get going....I'll be out there tomorrow.... :Gonefishing:

Edited to add:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/other/outdoors/article483912.ece

Edited by Billy Bob

Port Colbourne has been hot the past week, 50'-60'off the bottom or 65'-70' with the baits 40' down and deeper. Harnesses have been working good, copper watermellon, pinks and purples are producing best. As for speed 1.6-1.8 or 2.0 -2.2. Never caught Walleye consistantly on Erie going over 2.5mph, if you need to slow down drag a couple of buckets over the side,this is a cheap an effective way to get your speed down. One more little trick is do alot of turning S-bends or figure 8 patterns work well, Walleye or notorious followers, a fluttering harness triggers lots of bites.Change up colours aswell one day orange/green may be hot,the next Black/purple you just never know till you start getting bit.

That depends on your fishing area....in deep water where they are suspending, above them....but right now in areas east of Point Abino MANY are being caught on the bottom drifting or trolling worm harnesses. The bite is on so get going....I'll be out there tomorrow.... :Gonefishing:

Edited to add:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/other/outdoors/article483912.ece

This exactly the truth right now, the boys are bouncing bottom in 45'-55' off Buffalo and grabing fish and the boys are fishing 70' suspended off Dunkirk right out to the weather buoy grabing fish. The area your fishing dictates the presentation. Like I said before stay below 2.5mph, remember these are Walleye not Salmon, the equipment may be similiar but the approach is alot different.

Maitland sucked this morning... we were the only boat out there in 60-75 feet SW lost one good fish and that was it, Lots of bait in the 70-75 foot range but NOTHING going this morning.

Only bite was on a harness along the botttom of a rigger in 70 feet

Erie hates me I swear!

Still alittle early for Maitland, the eye's migrate there in numbers usually around August or mid August I find.There are Walleye around now but the fishing out that way will get better later in the Summer right into September. It is a nice area to fish, you don't have to travel nearly as far to get into deep water.

It turned out to be too rough to go out today, so we (my nephew from BC and myself) fished the Grand and came up with two good kitties. 5 and 6 pounds respectivley. He enjoyed himself and got the biggest fish. :thumbsup_anim:

Albert, given the speed of your boat, try putting it into neutral every now and then. The speed change will trigger a following fish as well as raise and or lower your bait in the water...

Black and orange worm harnesses off of lead core as well!

HH