Carp Fishing in Peterborough Ontario - Good Again?

TigerSaw

Im new here, so ... hi!

That said, I was wondering about fishing in Peterborough Ontario. I love to carp fish, and the getting was amazing 2-3 years ago. I caught my first 30lb carp there. Then the year after the carp started to die off from herpes or something like that. I haven't been back, as locally the garbage trucks were picking up dead fish almost daily from curb sides as residents were finding them dead on their lakeside property.

I am wondering if the fish are still having issues, or if fishing in Peterborough is gaining steam again? I wanted to go sometime in the next few weeks, but last 2 times I went I caught nothing, and it's a 6 hour drive. Anyone have some sort of local update? Should I stay or should I go? = )

Im new here, so ... hi!

That said, I was wondering about fishing in Peterborough Ontario. I love to carp fish, and the getting was amazing 2-3 years ago. I caught my first 30lb carp there. Then the year after the carp started to die off from herpes or something like that. I haven't been back, as locally the garbage trucks were picking up dead fish almost daily from curb sides as residents were finding them dead on their lakeside property.

I am wondering if the fish are still having issues, or if fishing in Peterborough is gaining steam again? I wanted to go sometime in the next few weeks, but last 2 times I went I caught nothing, and it's a 6 hour drive. Anyone have some sort of local update? Should I stay or should I go? = )

The fishing has been no great shakes anywhere this year because of the cold, wet spring...

If you had posted your location in your profile I'm sure some of the carpers on board could steer you to closer places to fish for carp than a six hour drive !

<br />The fishing has been no great shakes anywhere this year because of the cold, wet spring...<br /><br />If you had posted your location in your profile I'm sure some of the carpers on board could steer you to closer places to fish for carp than a six hour drive !<br /><br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

I live in London Ontario. Believe it not peterborough is an international destination for carp fishing by those that are big into it. IE The brittish. If you meet another fisherman in peterborough on the bank in the summer, chances are he's got an accent. = )

I just wanted to know if the big ones are still in there, and if they are, i am headed out! Make some boilies, and match me a 35lb'er on a hair rig! hells ya!

Since the "die-off" three years ago, we seem to catch smaller carp (12-18 lb. average) than before...It seems that most of the larger carp were killed off but the smaller ones built up an immunity to the Koi herpes virus...

Wolfville should be able to verify this as he documents and photographs his catches...

I'll pm you a couple of carp sites where there are a lot of members in your neck of the woods...Hamilton mainly...

The brits have found other "honey holes" as we don't see as many at P'boro like we did before the "die-off"

Welcome to the board.

I have yet to blank there this year but the fishing hasn't been what it used to be IMO. It gets alot more pressured now and every single fish that you catch it's been caught before. Beans is right the average is about 12-18lb-ish. The last few years that I have fished it I have never seen a 30+ landed, only a handful of high 20s. Good for you if you a 30+ out of there, but i highly doubt that there's a 35 roaming in that water especially after the die-off.

I wouldn't drive all the way to fish there if I were you though. It's a nice swim but personally 6 hours is just too far for getting a few fish in the mid-teens range. There's lots of water to fish at the Grand especially the lower stretches (for bigger fish) and I think Erie's also got some monsters swimming in it. Those are much closer for you. If you're willing to drive 12 hours round trip for a session I'd rather spend half that time driving back and forth to Erie and chumming a spot days before you fish it. (just saying haha)

<br />Welcome to the board. <br /><br />I have yet to blank there this year but the fishing hasn't been what it used to be IMO. It gets alot more pressured now and every single fish that you catch it's been caught before. Beans is right the average is about 12-18lb-ish. The last few years that I have fished it I have never seen a 30+ landed, only a handful of high 20s. Good for you if you a 30+ out of there, but i highly doubt that there's a 35 roaming in that water especially after the die-off. <br /><br />I wouldn't drive all the way to fish there if I were you though. It's a nice swim but personally 6 hours is just too far for getting a few fish in the mid-teens range. There's lots of water to fish at the Grand especially the lower stretches (for bigger fish) and I think Erie's also got some monsters swimming in it. Those are much closer for you. If you're willing to drive 12 hours round trip for a session I'd rather spend half that time driving back and forth to Erie and chumming a spot days before you fish it. (just saying haha)<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I'd gladly fish eerie, i just dont know where. I fish where I fish because I know how to get there and i catch big. If you can tell me how and where ill meet you there! = )

• 2 weeks later...
<br />This may help. Good luck.<br /><a href='http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45193' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow'>http://www.carpangle...showtopic=45193</a><br />
<br /><br /><br />

That was very helpful. I fished there today, for 8 hours, and caught nothing. Do any of you know places closer to london that have good carp fishing? Or should I make my way out to peterborough?

T.S., there are carp everywhere. Some very good carp fishing at Stratford, Woodstock, and St. Mary just to name a few. But you want the big girls, Hamilton is a great choice and closer to you. Peterborough is where I go if I can't catch everywhere else and it has yet to failed me. (now I have said this, I know what's going to happen next time I go)

<br />T.S., there are carp everywhere. Some very good carp fishing at Stratford, Woodstock, and St. Mary just to name a few. But you want the big girls, Hamilton is a great choice and closer to you. Peterborough is where I go if I can't catch everywhere else and it has yet to failed me. (now I have said this, I know what's going to happen next time I go)<br />
<br /><br /><br />

hahaha ya, you've just doomed yourself to 9 hours of nothing. thanks though!

Dude I've caught 25+ pounders at the forks of the Thames downtown London! No way I'd drive all the way to p'boro for them! There's great carping to be had all over southern Ontario! Poke around online I'm sure you'll find some new spots to try... I intend to find some new water myself in the coming weeks.. Good luck and keep us posted on how you do!

<br />Dude I've caught 25+ pounders at the forks of the Thames downtown London! No way I'd drive all the way to p'boro for them! There's great carping to be had all over southern Ontario! Poke around online I'm sure you'll find some new spots to try... I intend to find some new water myself in the coming weeks.. Good luck and keep us posted on how you do!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

you want me to fish where the thames forks? ... I havent tried it since the damn broke, was fixed, then broke again. Any other spots?

Peterpatch ain't what she used to be, carp-wise. I was up on the Otonabee yesterday from 05:00 till noonish . . . 3 in the 12 - 14 pound range & 1 about 17. Hits were few & far between, I MIGHT head down to Hammytown today, there should be a few hangin' around Eastport Road just past the lift bridge by now. I never heard about any 'die-off' down that way, but it certainly killed off a good portion of the carp population, especially the ones over 20 pounds, up in the Kawarthas. If ya want B I I I I G ones, Hamilton would be the first place you should go! Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
<br /><font face="Verdana"><font size="2">Peterpatch ain't what she used to be, carp-wise. I was up on the Otonabee yesterday from 05:00 till noonish . . . 3 in the 12 - 14 pound range & 1 about 17. Hits were few & far between, I MIGHT head down to Hammytown today, there should be a few hangin' around Eastport Road just past the lift bridge by now. I never heard about any 'die-off' down that way, but it certainly killed off a good portion of the carp population, especially the ones over 20 pounds, up in the Kawarthas. If ya want B I I I I G ones, Hamilton would be the first place you should go! Good luck.</font></font><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Any other places in hammy i should try?