hitch question???

lunker,

I have had uhaul install 2 hitches (changed vehicle), no problems with either, guarantee is good here and in the US. Cannot remember the exact prices but very reasonable.

Does that price include the trailer you're going to haul around?

Seriously though, it seems a high. I'd consider paying a professional to do that job, because I'm mechanically inept, and I haul my trailer on some rough "roads"...you want to make sure everything is buttoned up right or the consequences (particularly at highway speeds) could be catastrophic. That said, I wouldn't pay that much.

Hitches made for specific vehicles generally go on in minutes. They are made with existing factory frame rail holes in mind and the nuts are on long tangs that get feed from the next hole up. Slip.. slap.. air ratchet.. quick connect on the existing wiring harness that tees in and you're off to the boat launch.

Ended up putting one on my old van after having an appointment with Hitch World, they were supposed to have the hitch I needed in stock but didn't after I drove from Burlington to thee Hamilton Mountain. Got slightly ticked off and stopped at Crappy Tire on the way home. Bought a hitch and did it myself the next day. Pretty easy to do.

This car I went to U Haul and paid them to put one on, $275 with tax, done.

Edited by pikehunter

That sounds really expensive. That being said, that is what I paid to have one instaled on my Honda back in '05. It needed a special hitch that only Honda made at the time that ran up to the middle of the truck? For you van it should be really easy, straight forward hitch?

Now if they are putting in a tranny cooler and running fresh wire from the front I can see that kind of cost. Although for that kind of money I would go elsewhere and have people who specialize in hitches (or even vehicle repair for that matter)(yes I have a beef with CTC repairs).

yeah i knew they were trying to rip me off. I googled it and it like 4 bolts lol. The wiring is a bit harder but not to

bad. I may try some of your suggestions or maybe do it myself one evening this week

Thanks for all the replies.

Cheers!

You shoul be able to get a wiring harness for your specific vehicle...

Then you unplug a tailight harness... Plug the trailer harness into the tailight... Then the tailight harnes into the other end of the trailer harness...

Took me about 10 minutes

I ordered it from napa for $50

If it's a Sto'n'Go Grand Caravan, and you want the hitch to be completely hidden, "like factory" it is not a cheap endeavor. But bolting one on that hangs below the bumper is just as effective and less than half the cost.

Sounds like you already solved it anyway :D

major ripp.. i have put on a couple... just bolt them on and double check it a couple times after hooking something up to it... Lights come prewired on most suv/trucks... cars are just a little harder ... easy Splicing of the rear lights and your good to go