Suffix 832 bandwagon jumper impressions.

BillM

I've been fishing this line for a few weeks (3+ days a weeks since pike opener) here are a couple of my impressions for anyone that is thinking of taking the plunge.

1. Line casts pretty good, I don't know how much better it is then the Suffix High Performance braid I had on my Calais before. If it's an improvement, it's nothing crazy.

2. I've NEVER had a line that likes to wrap around the guides like this before. Set the hook, miss a fish, get out of a snag and you'll be unwrapped line from your guides. Drives me insane (Never had this issue with PPro, the old Suffix or even Fireline)

3. Colour bleed.. Not really a big deal to me, all braid likes to bleed. Is about as bad as PPro is...

4. Random line breakage. Have had this a few times, this line isn't as tough as PPro for sure... I've had 4 line snaps in the past 3 weeks, weird.

Worth the hype? I don't think so.

Edited by BillM

Hey, Bill! Used it for four outings. Definited color bleed, but, not an issue for me either.

No problems with breakage, pulled up some pretty good structure with it :lol:

Haven't noticed it wrapping around my guides.

Love the way it casts.

Overall, I'd say if you can get it for $14.99 definitely worth it. Like I said, though, only used it for four trips.

Roughly the same impression I had with it after a month of using it.

I found it cast better than PP, color bleed was worse than PP, tangled way more than PP, never had any problem with random breakage.

That said, I switched both the wife's and my rigs back to Power Pro the other day. The tangeling was driving us crazy. Been out 3 times with the PP and things have been way better.

i have it on several reels, definetely notice a bit better casting distance than the ppro.

i do not notice the line twist however i always use a swivel.

the color bleed on mine is inconsistent. on some of my reels it has turned almost white it has bled so much. on 1 of my reels it hasnt bled at all. weird. not too much of an issue for me though as i use flourocarbon leader most of the time.

i havent had any line breaks and have caught 19 muskie on the one combo.. 4 over 40 inches too. seems to be pretty solid.

overall impressions is that its not that much better if at all than power pro. my original impression was that it was better, but the more i use it the more and more things i notice.

Are you guys using it on baitcaster or spinning rigs? Or both :) ?

Baitcaster.. 6lb Fireline Crystal on my spinning rigs.

LunkerHunter: I didn't have any issues with line twist either :) It's the fact that it's wrapping around the guides that I (and Terry) have an issue with. Maybe to limp for it's own good :)

Edited by BillM

I found it way too limp. So I soaked it in some viagara and bingo - no more tip problems.

Sorry, had to.

Seriously, I used it once on a windy day and switched back to my regular power pro.

Edited by Harrison

I found it way too limp. So I soaked it in some viagara and bingo - no more tip problems.

Sorry, had to.

Seriously, I used it once on a windy day and switched back to my regular power pro.

LOL!!!!

Tried it out last week. in the low test range its pretty good on my spinning reel, had zero problems. Colour bleed, thats about it. But for baitcasters, still doesnt match up to 55lb daiwa samurai. My favourite line. :thumbsup_anim:

On my spinning reels I switched from mono to 832. I am running the 20 # and don't have issues with breakage. It has completely bled and looks like dental floss now. I get some wrapping around the tip but never around the guides. I have 50 # PP on my Castaic and I get it wrapped around the tip too? I bought the 50# 832 and haven't tried it out yet.

Baitcaster.. 6lb Fireline Crystal on my spinning rigs.

LunkerHunter: I didn't have any issues with line twist either :) It's the fact that it's wrapping around the guides that I (and Terry) have an issue with. Maybe to limp for it's own good :)

I've been using the 20 lb on a spinning outfit with bucktails, no issues with the tangles.

Did load up my new baitcast combo with it...I'm curious to see if I get the tangles you and a few others have been.

I've been using the 30lb test on my spinning reel on a 7ft rod. I haven't noticed any more or less wrap arounds than float fishing with mono. I find that it does wrap around the guides when I raise my rod up to untangle my bait.

Casting seems nice and the colour fade has been slight so it's still green. Not as dark as when it once was in the packaging. I haven't hooked onto anything more than 5lbs and the line held its own.

The only thing I do notice is it does fray slightly. When I tie knots onto my swivels, the tag end does fray. If you have a knick in your line, it would be best to cut & retie.

I bought my stuff when it was on sale at CT. For that price, it performs very nicely. Regular priced 832 is not worth the premium.

I've come to the conclusion that there's some quality control issues. It seems that there are batches of 832 that perform and under perform to their standards. That's not how a spool of regularly priced ($24) braid should be.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

It only wraps around the guides eh? HAHAHAHAHA That's a relief.

Hey Gordie! Last night I dreamed I was fishing with a flexible carrot. That's beautiful, Frank, call production and marketing, tell'em I want a million units on the market next month. We'll call'em Carrot Stix!

Hey boss, consumer research says the fishing geniuses want to match the hatch. Go for it, Gordie! But boss, the only colours we have left in the paint department makes a kind of a monkey puke colour. Close enough Gord......put'em out there. They'll buy'em.

Blood red hooks to imitate injured prey? But boss, I hear that underwater the red appears as a dark grey or black. As long as it looks like red when it's on the shelves Gordo.... Gotcha boss.

I'm really glad you guys aren't into sky diving.

I have found it likes to wrap around the tip of the rod, and I had one break off on a cast...issues I didn't have with PowerPro.

Casting distance and sensitivity is superior to PowerPro, IMO, and it doesn't make that god-awful noise going through the guides.

I am going to fish solely 832 a while longer, and respool one reel with PowerPro to get a second-first impression.

When I bring a fish in, it sounds just like any other braid does. I'm sure the guys fishing it with spinning rods have less issues with guide wrap then the baitcast guys do seeing that their guides are usually highframe and way off the blank.

I've barly used the 832 so far. My initial impression was that there was not much difference, good or bad. But not enough time/use to really say at this point.

Is it a new rod? :dunno:

New rod? No, I've landed hundreds of fish on this thing. Only thing new in the equation is the line :)

Just spitballin'.

Is the line diameter the same what was on the rod previously?

Yup.. I think it's the 'limpness' of this new line that's most likely the issue. When wet it likes to lay down on the blank anytime there is slack and wraps itself up. Perhaps I'll have to try some on my spinning outfits and see how it goes. Perhaps maybe even moving up to 30-40lb might help on the baitcaster, currently running 20lb.