Dufferin County 'mega-quarry' down to its final days before potential approval

Joeytier

Some great footage of the protest at Queen's park earlier this spring.

An American hedge fund is about to break ground on a massive mining project that could poison a million people's drinking water and the headwaters for five major rivers. They want to create an open pit deeper than Niagara Falls and decimate thousands of acres of lush farmland -- and we have 4 days to stop them.

For years, Highland Companies deceived Ontario residents, posing as a potato farming company and quietly buying up thousands of acres of land from local farmers. Then, it was suddenly revealed that the massive plot of farmland would be converted into a limestone quarry -- a 2300 acre pit so deep it would seriously interfere with the ground water system in the region. But, in order to start digging, Highland must win approval from Minister of Natural Resources Linda Jeffrey.

Please sign the petition posted below. It's garnering quite a lot of attention, and there's still 72 hours remaining.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_the_quarry/?copy

Why is it that we have American Companies coming here to destroy our country and nature, let them do it in their own back yard.

Welcome to globalization great isn't it?

I just read in the local paper that the proposal as it stands will not be approved. They will change the approval make it sound real good blah blah blah and it will go forward. The little guys who stand to make no money only suffer always loose. :( I'm sure a few politicians wheels have been greased. Protest all you want big money always wins. This is going to be very bad news for the local watershed and extremely bad for the prime spawning sites in the pine.

I don't doubt it....

I figured it was worth a re-post given the timing...

Didn't mean to sugest otherwise, just wanted to top them both-up. :thumbsup_anim:

And I sometimes wonder how many read the fishing news here.

Edited by kickingfrog

Didn't mean to sugest otherwise, just wanted to top them both-up. :thumbsup_anim:

And I sometimes wonder how many read the fishing news here.

Sometimes I wonder why some people seem so bothered by people who have other concerns and like to discuss them. Maybe even discuss them without snarky comments coming from left field from people who could just..not read it.

I can't believe some people still "sign" petitions on the net. They are worthless. What they are useful for though is that they make the person signing feel as though they have done something tangible and it'll ease their conscience. I'll tell you something. Go to that site right now, register with a first name (any name), the country you're in and a phony email address. Guess what will happen when you hit enter....yup, you got it....you now count as another bogus vote. Now what do you think the document with 100,000 votes will be worth when push comes to shove?

You want something done about this? Go see your member of parliament...phone him/her...knock on their door...tell'em you're mad as hell.....what's the use, maybe you're right. Go to the site, vote, hit enter then hit the pillow and have a good night's sleep knowing you've really done something good.

Just sayin'.....

Roy is absolutely correct. When it comes to political or municipal issues. A petition, with a million names on it, counts as ONE supporting document. A million seperate letters submitted and signed by a million different individuals.. counts as a million supporting documents!

Absolutely correct. I brought that point up on Facebook a while ago and got some interesting dialogue going. I believe it actually hurts the cause because while you feel all lovey dovey about your petition signing you fail to do anything else about it.

I write letters to politicians. They DO read them. They might not give a crap but if they think you represent a population of votes they suddenly start to care, or at least make it look and sound like they care. But you do not know until you try. I over the years have been hassling the various ministers in charge of the environment in this province that out of the 60 000 government workers Ontario employs that more of them should be CO's and their budgets should be increased and boats upgraded. So far none of them have cared but they all answered with a list of what they have done to increase this and that. Maybe if they got more letters and emails they would think that we do (because it's true) represent a large group of votes and start to take notice. Or maybe they won't....