How long does it take for a hook to rust out?

coreyhkh

Hey Guys I caught a poor soft shelled turtle last night and he eat the hook I tried for an hour to get it out but there was no way with out loosing my fingers lol. Iam just wondering how long it takes for a hook to rust out of a fish or turtle when they break your line.

I remember an article in OOD magazine some time ago that contained a study on this with bass, and basically said that hooks rusting out may be more of a myth than anything else.

If anything, hooks rusting out would vary a lot depending on the type, quality and size/thickness of the hook.

I remember an article in OOD magazine some time ago that contained a study on this with bass, and basically said that hooks rusting out may be more of a myth than anything else.

If anything, hooks rusting out would vary a lot depending on the type, quality and size/thickness of the hook.

Maybe old hooks rusted out...new ones don't. I wouldn't sweat it though - fish have a way of shaking hooks (maybe their tissue contracts). The turtle should be fine.

I like to carry hook cutters so that if there ever is an issue you just chop it as close as possible.

To the OP... next time that happens, grab a stick and wave it in front of the Turtles face. It will grab the stick and hold on, as long as you hold on to the stick... that will free up your other hand to remove the hook.

HH

While casting a crankbait off my dock this June, I snagged a pickerel rig that my nephew had lost last August. Everything was there except the hooks, not a sign of them. You could still see the knots in the line that they were tied to, but no trace of hook.

I don't know how fast in a turtle

but I saw hooks rusting out in pond bass

they only had bass for 2 years

and we caught some that had what was left of hooks in them and the hooks fell apart as soon as I touched them

so we know they take less then 2 years, I would think much less time

Pretend or remember when you lose a lure to under water rocks or branches. If you came back a year or 2 later with a mask and snorkel, the hook is still there. So unless a fish/turtle has some sort of acidic chemical that causes hooks to break down quicker i would say they dont rust out easily.

IMO

Maybe you need Myth buster to come show us the way on this one?

Cheers!

Guest gbfisher

I'm not sure about the rest of you but I guess no one has ever left their ice jigs wet by mistake. It does not take long to make them brittle. Only a month or so. I guess it depends on what kind of hooks you use. SS hools will not rust.

Hey Guys I caught a poor soft shelled turtle last night and he eat the hook I tried for an hour to get it out but there was no way with out loosing my fingers lol. Iam just wondering how long it takes for a hook to rust out of a fish or turtle when they break your line.

I was snapped of by a big bass on a small lake years ago. The next morning I found the rapala on the bank. Look at it this way, have you ever caught a fish with a hook in it's mouth? :) The turtle will be fine. The hook doesn't rust out, the acid in their body, like a fish, will free the hook in no time. You can sleep easy tonight. ;)