Nine Thousand Dollars in the drink !!!!

Whitespinnerbait

Yep, insurance is what lets you have fun without worrying. While I won't take over the top risk, I do risk my gear in ways other people shake their heads at. I don't go out my way, but if I "see" a shot I want, and that might entail risking the camera to water or fall damage, I don't let that stop me.

Not uncommon at all for me to walk into rivers/lakes where the footing is dicey..I often do it in winter, where theres ice, freezing water, stand knee deep the lake and get my shot. I've soaked my camera in fact, needing to clear the ice off the body/lens that forms within seconds.

For a series of these, I walked about 30feet onto an ice shelf, lied down right at the edge, wanting to get the back lit water that "sprayed" as the waves hit the edge of the shelf, kind of like "fireworks". Lot of clearing ice off the lens that day

p1010507560-4.jpg

I was shooting waterfalls in May on a rainy day (slick rocks), lost my balance, went with the fall to protect my camera and as a result cracked my head and suffered a nasty concussion that I still havent fully recovered from. Saved my camera at least smile.gif

While I hope I never have to make the call, knowing that I can make that call if need be...............

Edited by JBen

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, whitespinnerbait. Had to find this post, after what happened to Juli on Saturday. While out on Lake O, her Canon fell in the livewell. It was quickly retrieved, but, the damage was done..."toast".

Fortunately the cost to replace was nowhere near $9000. The comparable model was on sale for $550 this week, so we replaced it yesterday. Hurt her "pocketbook" a bit, but, the new model does have a few features hers didn't...looking on the brightside :) Also, she can use the lenses from her old model, unfortunately the spare battery pack and memory cards are different sizes.

Edited by FRANKIE65