Do you Use Premiun Fuel in the Outboard

RickOnt

where do you get those % from

Shell is the only gas to contain zero ethanol in their premium.. for now and if they've not changed it already.

All the others have ethanol in all their blends.

Yes, I've been using Premium....but wasn't aware that it could still have ethanol.

*edit* Did a quick google search on the subject...and it seems like and unsettled issue as to whether you can get ethanol-free gas. Many posts I read claiming that you CAN, were pre-2011, and it's my understanding that as of Dec 2010, the gov't mandated a minimum 5% ethanol in all fuel.

That being said, here's a link to "pure fuel.org"...a list of supposedly ethanol free gas in Ontario....still not sure how accurate or up to date it may be. CLICK HERE

Pretty sure some phase guard 4, or other ethanol neutralizing additive is the simple way to be sure you're avoiding the nasty effects of ethanol

Edited by johnnyb

Yes

The 0% Ethanol in the Premium 91 Octane is at a Shell station.

Green Lane and Yonge St North of Newmarket.

Now! This is what Shell is saying, as posted on the Pump. But what is actually in the Gas, Well! Who knows?

Rick

The boat industry has been fighting ethanol for years, especially with the US Environmental Protection Agency proposing increasing the amount of ethanol in pump gas to 15 percent.

This issue should become a bit more interesting now that Ford, Chrysler and GM have announced it could void vehicle warranties. Click here to see a story on this in today's Toronto Star.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Some miss the point with premium gas. It really has a lower flash point and takes more compression to get any value from premium gas. If your motor is rate for 87 octane it only has the compression to run 87 octane. Most outboards are rated for 89 octane because they have the compression to run 89 octane.

You run 94 octane in a 87 octane motor you are pissing raw fuel and dollars into the lake. Sea Foam and the sta bil help protects.

And I do run the Shell 89 octane if available.

Ethanol is actually an octane booster. It allows gas cos. to use a lower grade of gas and bump the octane value up using ethanol to meet vehicle requirements. Sunoco I believe was the 1st to start using ethanol and are (along with PetroCan now) the only ones to have 94 octane -- with 10% ethanol.

More on auto makers and boat builders fighting ethanol E15 by clicking here.

Ethanol is a solvent, so over time it will damage soft parts like gaskets, seals, fuel lines and such. The association representing boat and engine manufacturers (National Marine Manufacturer's Association) has even taken the EPA to court over this issue.

If it's possible to avoid it by using Shell's premium gas, then it might be best to do so.

I contacted Mercury last year and they said the new 15hp I had bought was rated for use of gas containing up to 20% ethanol.

This is what they said... dunno.gif

I still use Stabilizer and don't let the gas sit in the tank for long.

Edited by RyanT

12footSpringbuc you fix nothing and please would the mods. deal with this.

Premium gas takes a high compression engine to make low flash gas to burn completely.

You run low compression engine with premium gas you get incomplete burn left over carbon bad plugs. Shell gas or not you are still pissing raw fuel and carbon into my lake.

If you like wasting money burn it your Barbie Q or give it to charity.

If you want to debate octane pros and cons on our open forum we will let you if someone disagrees with your statement we will also let that happen. If they start to slander you or make statements that are hazardous/dangerous then feel free to hit the report button on the left side of any posts. We will then take action and render our judgement all of these services are included in the price of admission.

Art

Premium gas takes a high compression engine to make low flash gas to burn completely.

You run low compression engine with premium gas you get incomplete burn left over carbon bad plugs. Shell gas or not you are still pissing raw fuel and carbon into my lake.

If you like wasting money burn it your Barbie Q or give it to charity.

It's my lake too

You need to go back and read 12ft's reply were he changed my writing for his wrong knowledge.

So he has disagreed with your statement. If you believe he's wrong make a post backing up your statement and prove him wrong.

My bad... I may have confused "flash point" with autoignition temperature.

Now we can all grab a hotdog a beer and chill... :lol:

The point is don't edit my words in my post.

This is a real article that Craig Richie should investigate and write.

The other side is people that put 87 octane in high compression motors (require 94). They say it's all bull I'm saving money.

What happens is your piston are getting close to TDC (top dead center) and the compression ignites the gas. So your piston is going up when the explosion happens. This breaks valves, burns holes in piston spins bearings and ultimately blows holes in your cylinder walls. Very expensive lessons.

Back to running 94 octane in 89 octane motors. Hot Rodders do this stuff by retarding time changing fuel flow and messing with other stuff.

Make sure you know what you are doing.