Algea or weed?

dhickey

This past week I went to my favorate fishing hole and was verry disturbed to see what I saw.

Discription..

It looks like cotton candy feels like cotton candy and its every where. It floats in clumps of all shapes and sizes. It also covers the bottom from shoreline to about 12-14 ft down the drop off.(the entire lake has a dropoff anywhere from 2ft -8ft down to 20ft) and its coverd all on the bottom 14ft and up or floating in clumps submerged?

All the the fish we cought were suspended off the dropoff which is extreemly unusual(its like they wont go near it and bass beds were few and far between in about 10ft on the drop)

Any body seen this or know what it is??

Tryed reaserching it but got knowere.

The water is crystal clear as always.

Edited by saltydawg

I see something similar out on Lake Erie and it's usually the algae from the shores and points that are covered in it and when a storm or strong wind happen it tends to mess up the water good.

I haven't had it effect the fishing though other then it getting on the lure but the fish are all around and even hide under the clups of it.

Edited by Live2fish85

that sounds like the blue green algae that i am referring to in my thread on this stuff as well

Well what I found on the algae you refured to is not the same as what I was looking at last week.

This whatever it is does not stain the water .?

Its mainly sub surface lime green and looks like COTTON CANDY and thats what the kids called it COTTON CANDY WEED.

Cant find it anywhere on line ??

stumped...

And none off the weed lines that have been there cince I was a todler are there??their gone?? 40YRS

??????wallbash.gif

Also sounds like the crap that is on the weeds in Pigeon Lake near shore or shoals...don't see it as much in the deeper waters...dunno.gifdunno.gifdunno.gif

YES so what is it?

Is it ok to let the kids swim?

Is this some kind of bloom that will go away ??

Is it harmfull?

I dont know!! never seen it!???

Still cant find it on line?

Saltydawg.

Concernedwallbash.gif

PS.

If anyone could give me a current link to water conditions in Hastings/land o lakes area that would be awesome.

I cant find it..

Sounds like Cladophora. Major nuisance algae in the great lakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cladophora

Filamentous algae is a generic term for many types. That might be what you are looking for. :dunno:

YES so what is it?

Is it ok to let the kids swim?

Is this some kind of bloom that will go away ??

Is it harmfull?

I dont know!! never seen it!???

Still cant find it on line?

Saltydawg.

Concernedwallbash.gif

PS.

If anyone could give me a current link to water conditions in Hastings/land o lakes area that would be awesome.

I cant find it..

You provided scant details and no photos, yet two people provided likely culprits. If you are still note satisfied, pull some up and key it out.

Look its simple.

It looks like cotton candy and it covers everthing from 14ft up...

Thanks for your link kickingfrog.

get the camera out and take pic's so ppl can help. I don't know of any weed called "cotton candy" but I have heard of skunk and others like it. :ninja: