We were stopped by the the police today

vinnimon

I gt stopped 7 times one weekend on simcoe

twice by the same guy

lets just say I was not very CORDIAL on the 7th check

the guy with me tried to hide when I started on them

I showed all the safety and other things required...then he asked what was in the cooler

I said nothing

he said show me

I said not likely

he said show me what is in it now

I said I don't know who you are but you are not about to order me around and I will not show you anything that isn't a requirement ..

finally I said I do not give you permission to come on my boat, but if you have the legal right to board and search my boat I will not get physical to prevent you..

he hops on throws open the cooerl and says frig..there is nothing in the cooler

I said, yeah I told you that, didn't I

he said, then why didn't you show me

because I will happily show you everything that law requires but I wil be damned if I will search myself..for you..not my job..and after 7 times being stoped I am pissed at you guys

they drove away scratching their heads

7 times !! thats insane.. I got checked twice on one weekend... differnt guys on both Sat and Sunday so its ok ...

On bass opener 2 weeks ago, we were on a remote lake up north and OPP shows up... Dont you know it, I forgot my fishing licence in the cottage.. He was ok with SWEARING ON MY LIFE that I have had a fishing license for the past 15 years and lets us go on our way.... 15 rods on our bass boat deck might have influenced him!

I guess nobody has almost been taken out by a tinner full of drunk "fishermen"? The police are out there doing their job. Granted, power does get abused from time to time, but would you prefer dealing with a few police searches or be blindsided by a fishing boat at 40mph driven by some drunken fool?

I've always figured I have no problem with being searched, if I'm not hiding anything...

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

You should try having the US Homeland Security zodiac pull up on you... It's got a few 150's mounted on the back, and a machine gun on the front. You BETTER have a manual bailing device on board!!! At least those aren't MY tax dollars at waste. Yankees always gotta be so over the top.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

You should try having the US Homeland Security zodiac pull up on you... It's got a few 150's mounted on the back, and a machine gun on the front. You BETTER have a manual bailing device on board!!! At least those aren't MY tax dollars at waste. Yankees always gotta be so over the top.

Our CCG here at the club has a Zodiac with two 150 Mercs. Nice, well equipped boat but trolls way too fast.

After we were attacked on 9/11 we now side on safety and take no chances.....I'm glad they are out there doing their job and protecting the country, it's citizens and visitors.

After we were attacked on 9/11 we now side on safety and take no chances.....I'm glad they are out there doing their job and protecting the country, it's citizens and visitors.

that statement as it relates to fishermen is very ell o ell.

Yup, gotta worry about those "terrorists" planting bombs in smallmouth....

Too much.

I guess nobody has almost been taken out by a tinner full of drunk "fishermen"? The police are out there doing their job. Granted, power does get abused from time to time, but would you prefer dealing with a few police searches or be blindsided by a fishing boat at 40mph driven by some drunken fool?

I've always figured I have no problem with being searched, if I'm not hiding anything...

And what that does that have to do with having "bill of sale" on board. The assumption of guilt is troubling, you don't have a "bill of sale", so you must have stolen the boat.

no one is saying they are doing anything but their jobs. no one is saying there is an abuse of power. talking about experiences with boat safety checks is not an attack on the police.

just saying that we dont live in a place where we are subject to random searches of our property 7 times in one weekend. getting stopped 3 times in a 2 hour fishing trip, boarded, searched , questioned, boarded, searched again, questioned again. PRODUCE YOUR PAPERS PLEASE. show me the contents of your bag, cooler, compartment, whatever. all without any evidence of any wrongdoing.

im not hiding anything, i just dont like my fishing, boating to be interrupted by invasive, uncalled for stops.

I was stopped once when I was in early 20's. I didn't have a valid fishing licence. I had the 3 year card, but never knew about needing to buy a new sticker each year. The officer was very polite and was ready to let me go, but I said I was in the wrong and should not be giving a free ride. A quick ride into shore, a few bucks latter I was back up to standards. I would have felt that I cheated the system if he let go.

What would be the items you need on a vessel?

Boaters card

PFD's one per person

manual bailing bucket(my boat has electric bilge pump as well)

flares?

lights

I'm new to boat owner ship, and have yet to slip my fishing machine into the water. Other than what I have listed I can't think of what else you would need.

FC check the office of boating safety for a list that applies to your pleasure craft size. pay special attention to the and/or sections! because they can be sticky points. there are several versions of the list but the office of boating safety is your best bet.

for example flares and or waterproof flashlight

paddle, anchor, bouyant heaving line are some others not on your list.

get 'er in the water!

I was stopped once when I was in early 20's. I didn't have a valid fishing licence. I had the 3 year card, but never knew about needing to buy a new sticker each year. The officer was very polite and was ready to let me go, but I said I was in the wrong and should not be giving a free ride. A quick ride into shore, a few bucks latter I was back up to standards. I would have felt that I cheated the system if he let go.

What would be the items you need on a vessel?

Boaters card

PFD's one per person

manual bailing bucket(my boat has electric bilge pump as well)

flares?

lights

I'm new to boat owner ship, and have yet to slip my fishing machine into the water. Other than what I have listed I can't think of what else you would need.

-flares and lights are not necessary on smaller vessels (unless you are out after dusk, then proper navigation lights are required)

-whistle or air-horn

-floating, waterproof flashlight (with working batteries)

-a paddle or an anchor with at least 50 feet of rope

-a floating, heaving line (I believe at least 50')

-fire extinguisher if boat has a built-in fuel tank

...see, you woulda been missing all kinds of things, as much as a $240 fine for each missing item.

Oh ya, proof of ownership, cause it's assumed you must have stolen the boat otherwise... :wallbash:

that statement as it relates to fishermen is very ell o ell.

Yup, gotta worry about those "terrorists" planting bombs in smallmouth....

Too much.

Believe it or not but the terrorist don't have "Terrorist Boat" stenciled on their boats.... :whistling:

My dad and his neighbour, both in their 70's, have been stopped almost every time they go out. They are in a 14' fishing boat either trolling or drifting. They check the labels on the jackets, make sure the flashlight works, check through the cooler for beer, even though they already asked several times. Then since they could not find any reason to ticket them they recommended that they should have spare flashlight batteries, which they already had even though they are never out at night. Both my dad and his friend were upset and it ruined their whole day. I know most cops are good guys and are out there for the common good, but I cannot understand why they would be harassing seniors.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Believe it or not but the terrorist don't have "Terrorist Boat" stenciled on their boats.... :whistling:

For some reason I don't feel that threatened in Sault Ste. Marie, except of course by the overzealous border officers and scary homeland security boats with machine guns! I don't see why one terrorist attack should equate to a loss of civil liberties. As an american, I would see some of the anti-terrorism measures to be a violation of your fourth amendment rights.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i look at it this way...

typically, while driving in my car, unless i do something to attract attention to myself (speeding, headlight out etc) a police officer has no right to just arbitrarily pull me over and start looking through my things. why can he do this to me when I'm in my boat?

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

For some reason I don't feel that threatened in Sault Ste. Marie, except of course by the overzealous border officers and scary homeland security boats with machine guns! I don't see why one terrorist attack should equate to a loss of civil liberties. As an american, I would see some of the anti-terrorism measures to be a violation of your fourth amendment rights.

One... come on really?? have you not read of all of the instances of the publicized attacks and also the ones prevented? It is a changing world and violence while not wanted is a fact of life as it changes the way we police our zones of civilization.If anyone chooses to fish a border area then you accept the fact that you are going to be checked. Right now the US and Canada are both being like little kids and having a peeing contest to see who can make the other madder. Both sides will settle down soon I hope and we can go back to the rules we have become used too.

Art

If being stopped on the water was about safety, there are easier and faster, more cost efficient ways of doing so...

Why not have the authorities posted at launch sites. Have you and your boat checked before you hit the water. Should you have all the required equipment, your boat gets a sticker that is good for the season.

They could still patrol but they would not have to pull up to anyone, who has the sticker. Kinda makes a ton of sense, doesn't it!

But that won't happen because they are not out there to ensure we have all required equipment... they are out there to generate revenue. Should you think differently, perhaps you should reconsider.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

If being stopped on the water was about safety, there are easier and faster, more cost efficient ways of doing so...

Why not have the authorities posted at launch sites. Have you and your boat checked before you hit the water. Should you have all the required equipment, your boat gets a sticker that is good for the season.

They could still patrol but they would not have to pull up to anyone, who has the sticker. Kinda makes a ton of sense, doesn't it!

But that won't happen because they are not out there to ensure we have all required equipment... they are out there to generate revenue. Should you think differently, perhaps you should reconsider.

HH

We actually have that here in the USA you can have your boat certified by the Coast Guard. They come to the marina's for free and everyone who signs up gets inspected and a sticker issued. This however does not mean you will not be checked on the water it just makes the inspection quicker they generally will ask you to hold up 2 or 3 items on the list and wave bye as they leave. They are still making sure you are not drinking and have the correct licenses and what color your wife's bikini is or your speedo just to be fair to all of the MNR officials. I am not sure about the revenue money grab angle if you know the rules beforehand and you comply with them their is no fine. I have yet to pay a ticket in my life on the water owning 4 boats at this time. Each one has all of the requirements on board at all times so that's 4 paddles, 4 flare sets...etc it is the price you pay before the price they charge for improper boating.

Art

I had a friend with the coastguard auxillary who did the safety check on my boat and when it passed he gave me a windshield sticker showing everything was good and met the safety requirements.

Awhile later I was stopped by the OPP and I told him he didn't need to check me as I already passed the CCG test and showed him the sticker. He said the sticker made no difference to him cause just because everything was good & legal at one point didn't mean I was legal now because I may no longer have all the gear required by law. I was stopped a couple more times over the season and basically was told by each cop that the sticker meant nothing to them.

Try to do the right thing and we still get hassled.

It would make better sense if you would contact your political Representative to address these concerns as they are valid and I agree with you guys....our Coast Guard Auxiliary makes the inspections and issues the stickers as per aplumma....at one time I had so many on top of each other that it stuck out about 3/8" from the windshield...