We were stopped by the the police today

vinnimon

Yes in my boat, 4 adults and teen on board.

Passed with flying coloursthumbsup_anim.gif A quick on the spot inspection of my vessel.

He was to the point, and friendly as wellsmile.gif

Sothumbsup_anim.gif to them, esp while they held back untill my lines were brought upthumbsup_anim.gif

They are no different than you or I, and a friendly stufft chat does helpgood.gif

Edited by vinnimon

When I was running my boat out of Pt. Credit I was checked by the Peel Marine Unit dozens of times with never an issue.

Heck at one point I was checked by the same pair of officers 5 days in a row. <_<

You would figure after the first couple of times they would remember me. :unsure:

I dunno...

Maybe I'm getting crusty in my old age but why are they continually harassing boaters?

Especially when the "boaters card" means little to nothing.

It's been decades since I have been pulled over in my car just to "check it".

There are thousands of unsafe vehicles on the road yet there is little to no emphasis on that.

Yes, I realize there are still a few boaters that may not have all they should have.

Never see them at boat launches checking folks before they hit the water which would make a little more sense.

When I was running my boat out of Pt. Credit I was checked by the Peel Marine Unit dozens of times with never an issue.

Heck at one point I was checked by the same pair of officers 5 days in a row. dry.gif

You would figure after the first couple of times they would remember me. unsure.gif

Actually it was the same officer that took the info as last time. And on a monday as wellblush.gif

Their just doing their job and kudos to themgood.gif

I have a little something for them to see very soonwhistling.gif Involves a rich guy, a huge cabin cruiser and putting us guys in danger in some sort. While we were trollingmad.gif

Never see them at boat launches checking folks before they hit the water which would make a little more sense.

I see your point on this and totaly agree Bernie. No charges can be laid,just inform them they need what is missing. But then again,they wouldnt make thier christmas party quota funds would they. :sarcasm:

Seriously though,very good point.

The Peel Police Marine unit out of Port Creditl/Promenade Park are first class . :thumbsup_anim::clapping:

They do in fact check boaters at the ramp and issue windshield stickers/tags for the boating season. I place mine prominently and once it's on the boat, I have never been checked/inspected a second time in the same season.

Slayer

Guest gbfisher

I dunno...

Maybe I'm getting crusty in my old age but why are they continually harassing boaters?

There are thousands of unsafe vehicles on the road yet there is little to no emphasis on that.

Yes, I realize there are still a few boaters that may not have all they should have.

I get pulled over all the time. I've been checked now twice so far this season. Got passed by four times in one day which was a shock... :w00t: I'm sure I'll be pulled over a few more times as well. :dunno::worthy:

I know the boaters card sure didn't help the poor sap that tried to out run me by cutting me off and hitting a shoal at 40 mph with his Scarab.... :D

I gt stopped 7 times one weekend on simcoe

twice by the same guy

lets just say I was not very CORDIAL on the 7th check

the guy with me tried to hide when I started on them

I showed all the safety and other things required...then he asked what was in the cooler

I said nothing

he said show me

I said not likely

he said show me what is in it now

I said I don't know who you are but you are not about to order me around and I will not show you anything that isn't a requirement ..

finally I said I do not give you permission to come on my boat, but if you have the legal right to board and search my boat I will not get physical to prevent you..

he hops on throws open the cooerl and says frig..there is nothing in the cooler

I said, yeah I told you that, didn't I

he said, then why didn't you show me

because I will happily show you everything that law requires but I wil be damned if I will search myself..for you..not my job..and after 7 times being stoped I am pissed at you guys

they drove away scratching their heads

Edited by Terry

The Peel Police Marine unit out of Port Creditl/Promenade Park are first class . thumbsup_anim.gifclapping.gif

They do in fact check boaters at the ramp and issue windshield stickers/tags for the boating season. I place mine prominently and once it's on the boat, I have never been checked/inspected a second time in the same season.

Slayer

Im going to inquire the hwpd about that, one for the stern and ond for the windsheildgood.gif

I gt stopped 7 times one weekend on simcoe

twice by the same guy

lets just say I was not very CORDIAL on the 7th check

the guy with me tried to hide when I started on them

I showed all the safety and other things required...then he asked what was in the cooler

I said nothing

he said show me

I said not likely

he said show me what is in it now

I said I don't know who you are but you are not about to order me around and I will not show you anything that isn't a requirement ..

finally I said I do not give you permission to come on my boat, but if you have the legal right to board and search my boat I will not get physical to prevent you..

he hops on throws open the cooerl and says frig..there is nothing in the cooler

I said, yeah I told you that, didn't I

he said, then why didn't you show me

because I will happily show you everything that law requires but I wil be damned if I will search myself..for you..not my job..and after 7 times being stoped I am pissed at you guys

they drove away scratching their heads

You kill me some times Terry lol :rofl2:

Perhaps the Sportsmen and women of Ontario and Canada should start to stand up for themselves.

The OPP now have a new type of unit just to police Snowmobiles, Boats,and ATV's.

They target outdoorsman. Hunters, fisherman, and ATV and snowmobile trail riders.

Personally I would rather my tax dollars that are spent on OPP are put to a division that targets, CRIMINALS.

I have been stopped 23 times in 2011 by OPP on snowmobiles, in boats and on an ATV. Each time they claimed it was a standard "Document" check. wanting to see if I had my proper licences, cards, plates, permits, insurance, Registry documents, ETC ETC ETC. Got to carry a breifcase to go in the woods now and do a little fishing and hunting.

When all the drive by street shootings and muggers and theives are caught. When crime in our cities is non-exixtent, I would be pleased then to see the OPP out in the woods and backcountry checking on all the paperwork we are required to carry to go fishing and hunting , sledding, atv riding etc

GET the OPP out of the bush and back on the streets, where the criminals are.

I guess though if I were an OPP officer, I would really push for a patrol area were I got to drive a boat all summer, ride an ATV through the fall forests and go sleddin in the winter.

YUP

And us stumps - Jo taxpayer - pays for it and puts up with the hassel.

Perhaps the Sportsmen and women of Ontario and Canada should start to stand up for themselves.

The OPP now have a new type of unit just to police Snowmobiles, Boats,and ATV's.

They target outdoorsman. Hunters, fisherman, and ATV and snowmobile trail riders.

Personally I would rather my tax dollars that are spent on OPP are put to a division that targets, CRIMINALS.

I have been stopped 23 times in 2011 by OPP on snowmobiles, in boats and on an ATV. Each time they claimed it was a standard "Document" check. wanting to see if I had my proper licences, cards, plates, permits, insurance, Registry documents, ETC ETC ETC. Got to carry a breifcase to go in the woods now and do a little fishing and hunting.

When all the drive by street shootings and muggers and theives are caught. When crime in our cities is non-exixtent, I would be pleased then to see the OPP out in the woods and backcountry checking on all the paperwork we are required to carry to go fishing and hunting , sledding, atv riding etc

I guess though if I were an OPP officer, I would really push for a patrol area were I got to drive a boat all summer, ride an ATV through the fall forests and go sleddin in the winter.

YUP

23 times eh, just wait til I tell your boss about all the time you were sick but actually out on the trail. You poor muffin, lifes, little inconveniences.

I couldn't get away from them this weekend.

Every time I turned around

I went out Friday in the boat and got stopped. I should have told him to leave me alone as I was in US water but I never thought of it at the time. And I have to go out there all the time and he would just get even later.

I went out Sunday and there were 4 radar setups in 20 miles out on the 4 lane here. I was doing 100 in a 90 and a guy passes me doing a lot more, right as we are going past the 4 guys standing there taking pictures...nobody went after him.

Then coming home they have a ride check set up with 50 cars stopped.

Well, don't even get me going about snowmobiles now

Happy Canada day...home of the free

I couldn't get away from them this weekend.

Every time I turned around

I went out Friday in the boat and got stopped. I should have told him to leave me alone as I was in US water but I never thought of it at the time. And I have to go out there all the time and he would just get even later.

I went out Sunday and there were 4 radar setups in 20 miles out on the 4 lane here. I was doing 100 in a 90 and a guy passes me doing a lot more, right as we are going past the 4 guys standing there taking pictures...nobody went after him.

Then coming home they have a ride check set up with 50 cars stopped.

Well, don't even get me going about snowmobiles now

Happy Canada day...home of the free

Edited to add...at least we are lucky enough to get out...but I think we are over policed in a lot of instances

I have never been stopped in Ontario except by biologist for scale samples of my fish on the French River.

But here in NYS on Chautauqua Lake I have been checked many times by the Sheriff boat there...they always seem to pick on the fishermen as we are easy targets (anchored, drifting or slow trolling) but NEVER have I seen a jet ski pulled over or checked and they are the menace of ALL waterways.

I dunno...

Totally agree with this and others who have commented. The OPP have created a scenario where most of the uniformed officers are just highly trained tax collectors. Due to policing of smaller towns they feel the heat to generate revenue so we therefore have situations where we require a number of documents and paperwork and then get "zero tolerance" when something is missing. I can't imagine the outrage if they stopped every vehicle on the road for "document checks" on a continuous basis.

YUP

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: A :asshat: driving a sled 90 miles an hour down a street is a criminal just like the :asshat: I saw last year on Hwy 9 doing wheelies on his ATV!!!

It's quite simple. Doing real police work to catch criminals on our streets before and during crimes they commit cost alot of money and is hard on the police resources. Picking on and harassing joe taxpayer (not a criminal) is very cost efficient and brings a windfall of money to the coffers.

And why is it here on the Ottawa River it seems like whenever I see the marine unit with someone pulled over for a check it is always the guy in the tinny fishing boat getting the gears? I have yet to see a cruiser over 25 feet pulled over and checked out. And there the boats with the full bars on board. Thats one of the reasons I love my bassboat. If you want to check me out meet me 30 miles up the river in the rock infested bay I will be fishing in.

i get stopped alot and it is annoying. i chalk it up to the cost fo doing business.

what i find odd about the live stop in the boat is that it is, by def'n, unconstitutional. a police officer is not supposed to interfere with a law abiding citizen going about their business. a random stop of a vehicle to check your docs is not viewed as accepatable in this country - you know, the probable cause they always talk about on tv.

nor are we stopped on the street and asked to produce our papers.

but as soon as we step on a boat we are subject to a random stop and search that would be unlawful were you in your car.

RIDE programs are unconstitutional stops as well, pulling over people for no reason, however the courts deemed it OK as it was 'for the greater good"

i just dont recall anyone ever saying that about police checks of boats. in the bay down at hamilton ive been stopped 3 times on the same outing, 2X by the same boat!

Edited by smally21