Blue/Green algae !

This past weekend I fished my favourite small inland lake and was ALARMED at how much of the lake was covered in the blue/green algae.

It covered half of the lake .

Is this the kiss of death for this lake?

Can the ministry do anything about this?

Edited by splashhopper

Natural lake or reservoir? It can occur naturally but nutrient loading makes it much worse.

reservoir.....

old forest is under the back end ....

flood control

but the algae is all over the place.

I am wondering if the algae is sucking the oxygen out and depriving the fish..

Many reservoirs have higher nutrient concentrations than natural lakes due to their flooding. Certainly not uncommon to see blue green blooms in many places, and fish survive, so not the kiss of death. But decaying algae can reduced oxygen levels specifically in the bottom layer of water. So it can be a problem and has be related to fish kills but usually doesn't result in mass dieoffs in normal cases. Does seem a little early in the year though, usually a late summer, early fall problem.

Edited by timmeh

if its blue green algae, be careful. It is expremely toxic. Avoid skin contact,

"Minor contact can cause abdominal pain with vomiting, diarrhea, rashes, eye irritation, and allergic reactions. In very severe cases, liver injury and death can occur. "

if its blue green algae, be careful. It is expremely toxic. Avoid skin contact,

"Minor contact can cause abdominal pain with vomiting, diarrhea, rashes, eye irritation, and allergic reactions. In very severe cases, liver injury and death can occur. "

so if the fish are swimming in it... i shouldn't be touching the fish( if i catch one there) :dunno:

Only if it is truly B/G algae. There are many types of algae. Check with the local health authorities for sure.

Not just farms responsible. Dishwasher soap and laundry detergent are major culprits.They contain huge amounts of phosphates.

The Canadian Government is forcing manufacturers of these products to eliminate phosphates in soap.It will mean your clothes will be less bright, and your dishes not as squeeky when they are washed.