Need Advice on Buying a Small Boat

rhymobot

Hello anglers.

I have an inflatable right now powered by my arms and I'm looking to upgrade and put a troller on it.

There's a 12 foot Jon boat on sale at Cdn Tire right now for $599. It says it's 120 lbs.

Jon boat link

Since I don't have a trailer and really don't have the space to keep one, I need a boat that I can mount on my car roof and store in my garage standing up.

So...

1. Do I need a boat made out of fibre glass (aluminum too heavy right?) so me and a buddy can mount and dismount the boat from the roof?

2. Can I find something like that used and in working condition for much cheaper than $600?

3. Do you think this boat at Canadian Tire is worth it?

Thanks.

Edited by yush_gta

A buddy of mine had one of those,it was okay for calm water on small lakes with one person but with 2 up and the motor it was maxed out for capacity and the passenger had to bail all the time if it got a little rough.

vance

I would go with a 12ft alluminum and a 6-9 hp motor.

You can probably get both for around 600 in decent shape if you take your time and look around.

Dont go fiberglass.!!

I did 15 years ago but I regret it because I had to strip the gellcoat and reskin it .. TO mutch work even though the kids use it as thier first fishig boat.

That CT boat would be ok on small calm lakes, with a light payload. But in the bigger waters, I would want to go with a deeper haul.

You're in a tough spot with the storage / transportation thing.

Have you put any though in getting a square back sports pal. It's light, fits on the roof of your car, and you can hang it from the rafters in your garage.

It might even depend on how many times you plan to go fishing and where you are going. Is there a rental option? Sometimes it's just better to rent if it's only a couple of times a year.

I agree that 12 footers are okay for light people and smaller bodies of water, but get grown men in one and then some wind and you are asking for a bath.

I would rather be in a 12foot hard bottom zodiac than a 12 foot alluminum any day of the week. I don't mean a little dinghy type inflatable I mean a real zodiac. They are super solid and easialy transportable in a car.

Here are just a few. Try ad look into a RIB.The are great boats.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-10-zodiac-omc-W0QQAdIdZ295227709

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-other-Dinghy-ZODIAC-W0QQAdIdZ294646062

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-seadoos-water-powersports-zodiac-Mark-I-Touring-fold-up-boat-W0QQAdIdZ287587086

Edited by jedimaster