buying a used boat in ontario that has no ownership papers?

I hear this happens alot. where someone sells a boat to a buyer and there is no title or ownership papers. In the case I am talking about the original boat owner died. someone bought the boat from the kids of the guy but no official papers changed names.

the boat is smaller, 9.9hp so the boat isn't registered. The trailer is registered however.

Is buying a boat in this situation something that is a good idea? is it legal? how do you get the ownership from the province if it is needed?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers!

if its a little aluminium boat or some thing small with no id # on it... just say its been in your fathers/ grandfather garage for the last 10 years and your putting a motor on it and need to register it... thats what i did with my first boat... 14 foot aluminium... i said it was the cottage row boat... worked fine... then youll get legit paperwork for the boat...

I bought a 14' aluminum a few years back with no ownership or registration.

I had to guy write me a bill of sale. Then I went and got it registered in my name. I just told them the truth. I bought it from an old hunter, who has owned the boat for 40 years. No ownership, ID #'s, or any documentation on the boat.

I got it registered under my name with no issues. I jsut showed them the bill of sale. I technically don't have an ownership for it..

Edited by N.A.W

you don't have to register a 12' boat with a 9.9 motor. you only need to switch the ownership on the trailer. If the trailer has a vin, you should be able to find out who the owner was, and if not, just tell the ministry it's homemade and they'll give it a vin.

you don't have to register a 12' boat with a 9.9 motor. you only need to switch the ownership on the trailer. If the trailer has a vin, you should be able to find out who the owner was, and if not, just tell the ministry it's homemade and they'll give it a vin.

You don't have to register a boat with less than a 10HP motor, but when the nice CO or policeman asks you for the OWNERSHIP, you must provide the OWNERSHIP document. It is normally a bill of sale from a business or private person sale.

there is no such thing as an ownership for a boat. the bill of sale is the closest qualifying document. if you are unable to register the boat due to lack of docs you need the notary declaration mentioned earlier.

but, as stated earlier, you are just registering a tin boat. if there are no numbers on it now should be no biggie.

there is no such thing as an ownership for a boat.

Better go read Transport Canada info again, Registration of a vessel gives you ownership, Licencing does not.

the bill of sale is the closest qualifying document. if you are unable to register the boat due to lack of docs you need the notary declaration mentioned earlier.

but, as stated earlier, you are just registering a tin boat. if there are no numbers on it now should be no biggie.

Registering a vessel is done by Name and not numbers.

what does your ownership look like?

you don't register a pleasure craft, you license it - identified by numbers on the bow.

registration applies to non pleasure and commercial craft, and would be by name. i should not have used the word register to be exact, and then neither should you.

from transport canada, as suggested...

"Registration (Canadian Register of Vessels) is a title system for ownership of vessels. It is similar in nature to title systems used for land registry. Registration allows for name approval, mortgage registration and proof of ownership except in the case of a vessel registered in the Small Vessel Register. Every vessel other than pleasure craft must be registered."

2 totally different things.

keep quoting though.