What happen to my outboard

CRAPPIE

1994 Force 40 hp outboard- Today there was a big alarm noise and I shut off the engine immediately. When I restart the outboard again the noise start again. I went in very shallow and weedy area this morning. Do you think this is the reason? Or it is too humid today. Will it damage my outboard and what should I do when it happen again. I used my trolling motor back to the shore.

Can any members give me some advise!

Over heat or oil, both could be serious if you don't get them checked out.

If you were in a really weedy spot you may have chewed up enough stuff to clog the water intake port which usually is screened to keep larger pieces from being drawn up into the impeller.Take a pressure washer to the screen and make sure it is cleared.Normally the 'Hot Horn' is an indication of an overheating situation.Some motors are designed to cut to idle speed when this happens and is a good indicator of that.If it is an oil injected motor I think some of them will shut down when this happens.In any event take the time to check the screens and impeller and your oil pump.You can always add oil to your gas and keep an eye on the reservoir level while using it to see if you are pumping oil.The most it will cost you is a couple of fouled plugs for piece of mind.

Kerry

I just went thru this and the alarm is for a low oil level or an overheat situation.If the oil tank is full you probably sucked in some weeds.If you don't know what you are doing and don't have the service manual take to some one who does,it may cost a few bucks but is WAY cheaper than a seized motor.

vance

I just went thru this and the alarm is for a low oil level or an overheat situation.If the oil tank is full you probably sucked in some weeds.If you don't know what you are doing and don't have the service manual take to some one who does,it may cost a few bucks but is WAY cheaper than a seized motor.

vance

good advice i just had some issues with mine different motor but mine ended up being low voltage i wish had the orginal manual it would help knowing what the beeping means

good luck hope all is well

My johnson did the same thing in weedy water, horn sounded and stayed on, shut the motor down, to cool, while cooling I cleaned the 2 impellor screens, and looked at the motor where the cooling water comes out OK the pee hole, and it was plugged with a smaill weed that got sucked in through the impellor screens, do that allowed ample time for cooling and once restarted no more horn,, that is likely your problem