Scugog boating accident

Theo

Personally I believe boats should at least have head lights for traveling at night. The marker lights IMO are ok if you are stopped,but you really can't see very well if your moving. That's my 2cent's worth. Sad to hear of any accident on the water or anywhere else. davey.

i was amazed to see the amount of boats that were lined up on the water to watch the canada day fireworks. there was definetely a few hundred boats all watching the fireworks. after the show was over it looked like mayhem on the water watching everyone trying to leave and head back up the lake.

its too bad things like this have to happen. hopefully it makes everyone much more aware of what can happen out there

i was amazed to see the amount of boats that were lined up on the water to watch the canada day fireworks. there was definetely a few hundred boats all watching the fireworks. after the show was over it looked like mayhem on the water watching everyone trying to leave and head back up the lake.

its too bad things like this have to happen. hopefully it makes everyone much more aware of what can happen out there

i was also surprised by all the boats out there. i was also surprised by how many of them ripped by us at full speed only a few yards away from us.

At one point we saw like 10 boats approaching in the horizon, and they flew by on both sides of us. We got tossed around pretty good by the wakes.

Mostly jerks in big cruising boats.

No surprise an accident happened.

i was also surprised by all the boats out there. i was also surprised by how many of them ripped by us at full speed only a few yards away from us.

At one point we saw like 10 boats approaching in the horizon, and they flew by on both sides of us. We got tossed around pretty good by the wakes.

It's really sad what's happening on our waterways.

Whatever happened to common sense & courtesy ?? :angry:

I had two boats cut me off an Canada Day within 10 minutes of each other when I had the right of way. They were waving hello when they cut me off, oblivious to what they were doing. Canada Day is usually a circus on our local waterway, toss in accessive alcohol consumption and you have a disaster waiting to happen. The last few years I have noticed way more boat traffic and most don't know the rules of the water or have any boat launch ediquette. It's very unfortunate this has happened.

I had two boats cut me off an Canada Day within 10 minutes of each other when I had the right of way. They were waving hello when they cut me off, oblivious to what they were doing. Canada Day is usually a circus on our local waterway, toss in accessive alcohol consumption and you have a disaster waiting to happen. The last few years I have noticed way more boat traffic and most don't know the rules of the water or have any boat launch ediquette. It's very unfortunate this has happened.

"boat launch etiquette" is an oxymoron.

Slayer

Me and a friend thought about heading out that day but decided against it due to the expected chaos. Glad we stayed away.

A question for me is where the heck is the Durham police marine unit on days like this? They pulled me over a few weeks prior and gave me $500 is Bull tickets! Where were they that night when everyone knew traffic on the water would be crazy?

A few weeks prior these two Durham cops gave me a ticket on Scugog for not having a whistle, my boat has a functional electric horn attached to it. I don't need a whistle! all the cop kept saying was that I needed a whistle and my horn didn't qualify. Well this is total crap! How does this clown call himself a marine cop when he doesn't know the law..? Either he doesn't know the law or he's greasing his own pockets with court dates - he kept telling me to show up at court! Then the joker says my floating heaving line isn't a floating heaving line! That's when I sat down and thought I better shut up and just take my tickets and leave. The line I showed the idiot was a yellow and orange line. A few days later I called the Marine unit staff Sargent, apparently he needed to check the regulations regarding the horn! What the he'll is that I'm thinking, how does this Staff Sargent of the marine unit not know the regulations backwards. He calls me back and says that I am correct and my horn qualifies. He also says the cop in question said I showed him a white mooring line not a floating heaving line. Damn lier. when we need these cops on the water we don't see them. At the advise of a friend who is a cop with another region, I've filled a formal complaint. Cant wait to see how this unfolds and my court date. I'm pissed and i've lost all respect for the Durham Marine Unit.

Edited by Tedder

Very sad, I find boating at night is dangerous and I rarely do it anymore. A few years back I was on BoQ and I almost creamed two seperate boats anchored in the navigational channel with no lights on in the middle of the night.

If your on the water at night put your lights on and be aware. If a boat is coming near an at night you can hear a boat coming near you. Make sure they see you and be ready to move out of there way if need be. Don't just take it for granted that you are in your spot and they need to avoid you. I wouldn't be surprised at all if booze had a role.

I'm quite worried that we will start hearing of more boat accidents with the way some individuals are operating their boats. I have been trying to avoid the water on the weekends on Pigeon just for this reason. Boaters are not giving each other enough room and that's during the day. It seems I encounter one of these boaters every weekend if I'm out on the water, with a couple of close calls. Add in darkness and the problem can be worse if there are no lights.

The story I heard was they were heading out to fish and got t-boned by the other boat.

i had heard that the mastercraft had its light on and there was another boat that was stopped on the lake with no light on. the mastercraft was driving up the lake and ran into the boat with no lights on. horrible thing to happen. anyone on the water at night without lights on should be charged and lose there boating license. no excuse

i had heard that the mastercraft had its light on and there was another boat that was stopped on the lake with no light on. the mastercraft was driving up the lake and ran into the boat with no lights on. horrible thing to happen. anyone on the water at night without lights on should be charged and lose there boating license. no excuse

Totally agree! :clapping:

I was on the Moon River system..Captain Allen Straight to be exact on the June 3rd weekend, while night fishing from our camp one night a speed boat charged by at full speed...2 mins later all we heard was CRASH!!!!! Turns out they smashed into a shoal...we got in our boats to see if we could assist but when we got there the 2 guys...clearly into the booze...said nothing had happened and were just changing a fuse...sure didn't look like a fuse problem when we saw them getting there boat out at the launch the next day and they had a foot wide gash in the bottom of there boat!!!!