Leafs fans wait till the 4th!

cjgraham

While every player is potentially one hit away from a carear ender, the guys with past concussions are much closer to that edge and jump exponentially closer after every one. It never goes away, unlike most other injuries that players are come back from.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the connolly signing REEKS of desperation.

9.5 million for 2 seasons? talk about overpaying!

i realize he's being brought in to feed kessel, but the guy got 13 goals last year!

you'd think you'd want at least a 20 goal scorer for your top line.

i can't wait to deliver a few million "i told you so's" when the burke era ends in failure.

This just in...The Lebda experiment is over!!! who hoo!!!!

Maple Leafs trade D Brett Lebda and F Robert Slaney to Preditors for F Matthew Lombardi and D Cody Franson. I like this just for the record!!

The GM`s have gone mad again 4.5 million for a guy who is the following; injury prone, never scored 20 goals in a season, managed to top the 50 point total twice! :wallbash:

Erik Cole 4.5 million :dunno:

James Wisnieski 5.5 million :o

And look at what Dale Tallon did in Florida :wallbash:

I think another lock out is in order!!!

The GM`s have gone mad again 4.5 million for a guy who is the following; injury prone, never scored 20 goals in a season, managed to top the 50 point total twice! :wallbash:

Erik Cole 4.5 million :dunno:

James Wisnieski 5.5 million :o

And look at what Dale Tallon did in Florida :wallbash:

I think another lock out is in order!!!

The owners won the last lock-out: 24% salary rollback and a cap tied to revenue. Virtually broke the association. Wonder what will happen if the owners win again. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I hear ya guys but things are getting out of hand again, I don`t think I would be to far off by saying half of the teams in the league are losing money under this agreement and again these teams can not afford the cap minimum let alone the ceiling.

Something as to be done, the NHL is a house of cards waiting to fall!!!

It is a house that the owners have built with the help of the count. They want a free market for themselves but do not allow it for the players.

You are right the cap floor does not work for many teams, these are the same teams that the lock-out was for in the first place (nice work betmen). I'd love to see 6-8 teams disappear, but don't expect to see it.

Connolly was one of the top 5 center free agents available this summer. Yeah at 4.5 per season he is overpaid, but so many other players are also overpaid. He has some decent skill that may work well with kessel, he is a passer first, hence the lack of a 20 goal season to date. He has always played in a defence minded system in Buffalo, some free wheeling will do his numbers some good. The Leafs power play needed a player of this type of skill to help it out. Health IS a concern, but any player at any time could be out.

I don't know much about this Franson, but I'm sure he is better than Lebda. The leafs Defence seems to be getting crowded now, I wonder if Burke will be looking to try to move 1 or 2 more of them before the season starts. Or this could just mean some healthy competition in training camp, then try to move the odd man out.......

I for one am glad the leafs did not sign Richards to the type of contract he got. I know Burke has signed a few guys over what they should be paid, but he has yet to handcuff the team with a long term deal over 6 million per season. Over paying for a free agent is really the way to beat out the other teams who are also trying to sign the same player. We would all do the same thing if we had the ability to be "free agents"

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the problem is nobody wants to play in toronto. it's got nothing to do with money either because the leafs have plenty of it. it's got everything to do with bad ownership, obnoxious media, and the fact that regular fans can't afford to take their kids to games.

i think toronto was voted 5th last by the NHLPA for cities the players would like to play in. for such a financially successful and historical franchise, i would find that unacceptable if i were any more than a closet leafs fan. problem is, leaf nation just keeps on buying hats, paying 300 dollars to see A GAME, and the cycle continues.

the problem is nobody wants to play in toronto. it's got nothing to do with money either because the leafs have plenty of it. it's got everything to do with bad ownership, obnoxious media, and the fact that regular fans can't afford to take their kids to games.

i think toronto was voted 5th last by the NHLPA for cities the players would like to play in. for such a financially successful and historical franchise, i would find that unacceptable if i were any more than a closet leafs fan. problem is, leaf nation just keeps on buying hats, paying 300 dollars to see A GAME, and the cycle continues.

You know Doc, you're exactly right. But here is the real head scratcher for me...

Toronto is arguably the centre of the hockey universe. This market has not had a marquee player since Gilmour... and what I mean by that is the following...

Hockey in this town is a religion. High profile elite players could make a fortune with endorsements in this town... so after being grossly over paid by their hockey salaries, they could then augment their income, through various product endorsements... remember Gilmour in the cow pants!

The right personality could own this town, but it seems to me that the players are simply happy to get their pay and be done with any extra activities...

The Toronto market is a license to print money for the right player. There seems to be no will amoung players to take advantage of it! and the current roster lacks one thing... a marquee player! LOL

HH

If they get a right mix of young players that get the team to a respectable level of competition then players will once again want to come here. Toronto is the best place to play on a winning team and the worst place to play on a losing team. It wasn't long ago the Yankees were in the same boat. They bought there way out of it. You can't do that in hockey.

Edit : spelling. Bloody iPhone auto correct.

Edited by Grimace

You know Doc, you're exactly right. But here is the real head scratcher for me...

Toronto is arguably the centre of the hockey universe. This market has not had a marquee player since Gilmour...

Wasn't Mats Sundin considered a marquee player...does anyone remember him? I remember during the 2002 Winter Olympics he was one of the more dominant players in the world.

Connolly doesn't even come close to Sundin.

More mediocrity for the center of the hockey universe....

Its very difficult to actually call Sundin a Marque player. Just because he was the best on the team doens't mean he is all that great. I know of very few people who actually liked Sundin and thought of him as a Marque player. I never did. The only player that shows any glimour of hope is Reimer. Think of all the great players that the leafs have had a shot at but fell short or never stepped up to bat. Lindros, Gretzky, Messier, Richards, Iginla the list goes on. Instead the Leafs are happy with having one player better than the rest of bums. Lets face it te leafs have 1 player that could play top line on any other team. Thats kessle, and he is a supporting character. he can't stand on his own. You could make an argument for Grabovski, but thats a bit of a stretch. The young talent is there though for the 2,3 and 4 lines. But we are still missing the superstar the fans deserve.

Wasn't Mats Sundin considered a marquee player...does anyone remember him? I remember during the 2002 Winter Olympics he was one of the more dominant players in the world.

Connolly doesn't even come close to Sundin.

More mediocrity for the center of the hockey universe....

I certainly didn't forget Matts! He was a skill player, but not a marquee player in that he did not take advantage of his position in this market, outside of his on ice performance... and that was the point of my post. The last Leaf to take advantage of all that this hockey mecca can offer was Gilmour... A true marquee player will have the team following him and will grab any and all endorsement money available... who do the Leafs have that could pull that off?

Kessel would rather not speak to anyone, much less take endorsement money and have to actually interact with the public...

All I'm saying is that there is an opportunity here that no one is either considering or taking advantage of... and the dollars available are staggering!

HH