Solenoid/starter issue

Pikeslayer

Got to the launch this am and the '91 Merc 115 wouldn't start. The starter just moaned. Removed the cowling and had a look;

The starter/solenoid is turning and lifting, but not lifting high enough to engage the flywheel.

This was a recurring issue over the last few weeks so I replaced the cranking battery last weekend and it seemed to correct the issue until this am. Checked the battery when we got home and it was at 75%. it is now charging.

Any thoughts, suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Slayer

Thx for the reply Dave. Sorry for the late response. I went back to bed and planned on waking up and starting the day anew sans problems. That didn't work. As you suggested, I pulled the cover and checked all the connections. Everything seemed in order. I sprayed the exposed solenoid piston/shaft with a little bit of lithium and gave the housing a couple of good whacks with a plastic hammer. Taa Daa!! I'm not sure what the root cause was but your reply inspired me to take a second look.

Thx again Dave. :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Regards,

Simon

Yup, could be just sticky bendix, if lubricating it doesn't work then starter might be close to needing new brushes assuming all connections are clean and tight. None of it is a big job. Let me know if you have any more trouble, might just have to bring your boat up here and come fishing!

On a Mercury I had it said in yellow letters not to strike the starter motor with a hammer. I guess they know us fishermen pretty well. :clapping:

BTW yes I did and yes it started working...

Art

Thx for the reply Dave. Sorry for the late response. I went back to bed and planned on waking up and starting the day anew sans problems. That didn't work. As you suggested, I pulled the cover and checked all the connections. Everything seemed in order. I sprayed the exposed solenoid piston/shaft with a little bit of lithium and gave the housing a couple of good whacks with a plastic hammer. Taa Daa!! I'm not sure what the root cause was but your reply inspired me to take a second look.

Thx again Dave. thumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gif

Regards,

Simon

Charge your batteries up, load them and leave them alone for a day or two. They should be 12.6 v max, and see what they are at afterwards.

ps message sent Simonwink.gif

I had the same problem on 150 johnson.A couple drops of oil on starter gear.It tended to dry out and would not engage.

Looks like the lithium did the trick

No problem Simon.

Sounds like it was a wee bit sticky. ;)

Glad you got it worked out. :good:

Thx again Dave

Yup, could be just sticky bendix, if lubricating it doesn't work then starter might be close to needing new brushes assuming all connections are clean and tight. None of it is a big job. Let me know if you have any more trouble, might just have to bring your boat up here and come fishing!

Well ssinf you're here for the weekend in a few, we just might want to break out the tools :whistling: :whistling:

On a Mercury I had it said in yellow letters not to strike the starter motor with a hammer. I guess they know us fishermen pretty well. :clapping:

Art

Charge your batteries up, load them and leave them alone for a day or two. They should be 12.6 v max, and see what they are at afterwards.

Art

Hey Art,

I didn't see any yellow letters! Fortunately.

Thx Vince,

Charged full on Friday pm and ran today and hopefully tomorrow. I'll check the voltage and pm ya tomorrow. BTW, good day for chromes today!

Slayer

Hey Art,

I didn't see any yellow letters! Fortunately.

Thx Vince,

Charged full on Friday pm and ran today and hopefully tomorrow. I'll check the voltage and pm ya tomorrow. BTW, good day for chromes today!

Slayer

You do mean shackers, right? If not I will give you two bloody noses on the houserofl2.gif

Edited by vinnimon