DON'T TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS!!!

Hey Guys, I have to keep this short as I just got in from a work trip and have a bunch of things to get done in the office and at home before our family get-together at my place for Canada Day tomorrow!

I've been looking forward to fishing opener with my Dad for the first time in over a decade!!! Our schedules just never seemed to work since I moved away for college. I was up at 3:30 a.m. - got the lunch packed, the boat ready and hooked up to the truck, made some coffee and woke up the old man just in time to leave. Traditionally, my dad is a live bait kind of guy, mixing in gulp and other soft plastics from time to time, but he'd never fished a Tube jig for smallies before. My game plan was kind of thrown for a loop with the hurricane like winds.... it was a rough ride in my little 15 foot jon boat, but braved the waves, and though we were drifting tubes at speeds of up to 1.5 MPH (no drift sock) we managed a whole PILE of smallies. Nothing huge, but a good mix of fish up to the 3 pound range. I knew the big smallies would be out by Bluff Bar but we didn't want to chance going that far out into the lake with my little rig on a windy day. As it was we had to run with the plug out a couple of times to drain away wayward waves that found their way into the boat! lol I have to get a bilge pump. Anyways, we only really got photo's at our first spot as it was my only spot that wasn't getting completely pounded with giant waves....

5:15 or so there was a huge line up at the launch

DSCF1130.jpg

The old man idling up after our first drift....

DSCF1134.jpg

Little guy - but the first legal bass in the boat for 2011... I started it off right with the first fish than the old man somehow managed to put on a clinic the rest of the day... fishing tubes for the first time ever with 5lb Power Pro on a 5.5 ultra light rod lol

DSCF1135.jpg

First Tube Jig Bass

DSCF1136_2.jpg

DSCF1137.jpg

Another little guy..

DSCF1138.jpg

Old man with a pair - he was pretty stoked!

DSCF1139.jpg

A little bigger - he was rubbing it in at this point.... only an hour or so into the day he was up on my be a good half dozen fish or more...

DSCF1141.jpg

We smoked a bunch of smallies in this spot which is about 5 to 6 FOW then we ran out past the group of boats and fished 12 to 17 FOW but didn't get any photos as we were bouncing all over the place...

Here's a photo of the pack on our way by...

DSCF1142.jpg

called it a day shortly after lunch

DSCF1145.jpg

We got home to my house in the country and my old man taught me how to fire his cross bow....

89c0f02a.jpg

6cf651a4.jpg

d6a9e583.jpg

He may have smoked in on the smallies, but I beat him at his own game... right on target

6d735a15.jpg

Anyways - great day spent with my old man! Looking forward to next year already!

Cheers,

Ryan & Dad

Spending a day out on the water with family is always nice. Reminds me that it's been a while that I've fished with my old man, gotta schedule that in sometime in the near future!

thanks for posting Ryan!

Great stuff, Ryan! Always great getting out with your "old man"! Man, Long Point is quite the zoo on opener.

Toying with the idea of heading out there tomorrow afternoon/evening. Winds are looking promising.

We'll see you in three weeks, if not before!

Take care :D

Hey Thanks for all the great replies guys - I hope you enjoyed the report! Sorry I haven't gotten back until now..... my parent's just left for Sudbury and I wanted to wait to sneak back to OFC until they were gone. The week flew by like a rocket.... it seems like just yesterday I was excitedly gearing up for a long awaited opener with my dad, and some good time spent with my mom. I wish they lived a little closer! Anyways - have a fantastic weekend and get out fishing if you can!

Cheers,

Ryan

good day.

love the paint job on the boat.

Nice fish sorry about the conditions though

Can't believe he beats up on you using an ugly stik. I hate that rod.

Edited by Cudz