Virginia Fishing

Doctrt

Hey Guys and Gals,

This weekend, I'll be taking the family for a trip to Virginia. We'll be staying at the Woodstone resort at Massanutten. I don't know much about the resort or the area as far as fishing is concerned, though I do know there are quite a few rivers in the area. I believe the main ones are the Shanendoa and Beaver Creek. Any info regarding the fishing in the area or the resort itself would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tim

While I have not fished the area the Shenandoah is known for smallmouth bass. The area is a wadeable body of water. Expect to find a hard rocky bottom 1-6 feet deep in areas along the road that is close to the water. The fish average 7-12 inches and put up a good fight going airborn often. Use a med light rod and reel and bring small jigs chartreuse/white/smoke are good colors. Smaller crankbaits like the bomber A white/bass are good also. A blue and chrome rattletrap is a good bet. A few chugger type baits in the other colors and any crawfish pattern bait is a winner. If you want to go with natural baits their are Carp, Channel Catfish and Bluegill for the taking too. Use the same as you would in Canada. Fish the areas behind current breaks and were the current is boiling to the top from submerged rocks and weeds. This is some general info that works were the Shenandoah is closser to were I live. Good luck and enjoy Virginia it has a lot of things to see.

Art

I lived in Lynchburg Virginia for 8 years. Its about 2 hrs from Massanutten. Fished mostly the James river and creeks up in the Blue Ridge Parkway. Tons of smallies and catfish in the James, and also caught the odd muskie. Hear the Shanendoa can be similar and the best lure of chioce for me was a jig with a white mister twister tail. Oh man deadly for smallies down there. Good Luck