electric jack hammer

lew

I've got some huge boulders at the back of my property that I want to move but their far too heavy to roll or move by hand and I don't want to use my truck as it'll dig up the lawn. I also can't use a come along as there aren't any trees big enuff near-by.

I was thinking of renting an electric jack hammer to break them up into managable sizes but don't know if they'll do the job or not. About the only thing I've ever seen them used for was breaking up concrete.

These rocks are laying around an old firepit that I don't use and are up to 30" X 30" X 15"

Anybody ever tried to bust up something this big with an electric jack hammer ??

Lew I would give it a try..You will want a brute breaker. If you have a home depot near by they rent them..I belive they are made by bosch. Good tools..Oh be sure to have a box of beer in the fridge..

All my kitchen counters are granite but I'm not sure about my boulders :lol: The biggest one at least looks like it could be granite though.

I thought about a large spud Albert but I'm thinking the big guy is gonna go at least a few hundred pounds and I'm certainly not as young as I once was.

Thanks for the offer Dann and I may just take you up on it but it won't be this weekend. Be a good excuse for you & Kelly to come here anyways though.

Thanks Dann, I'll let you know

Shorty, here's a couple pics for Guy

The 1st one has a 5 gallon gas can beside it for comparison

Cnv1121.jpg

And here's the rest, the smallest is about twice the size of the proverbial bread box

Cnv1122.jpg

This one for thought Lew,

Not seeing the whole lay out of your property, I'm thinking they built the rock garden around that one boulder.

I have a 9000lb tandem dump trailer, we could either jack em up with the dump on the trailer or the other option would be to get a load of top soil and bury them deeper (just a thought).

Thanks fellas, the more I look at these brutes and how big they are, burying them under a load of soil may be the most feasible option.

I may still give the hammer a try this week but I'm starting to have my doubts now.

Hey Lew

them some nice rocks you got there a hammer will most likely do the job.The only thing is if its soft ground under the rock it will take longer.

look for cracks or change in color in the rock that will be a week point like when it goes from grey to black or you can go into the white part be careful its brittle.

another option is to dill holes in the rock then use the hammer that works well to

to bad you don't live closer i would grab rock drill and take care of that in no time. But these are options that we use when we need to bust rock with out mining tools around

we also have this product around here all you have to do is drill some holes and poor this stuff into the holes cap them over night and in the morning its split i can not remember what its called or were we got it last time but i will try and find out and let you know.

Edited by pikeguy

we also have this product around here all you have to do is drill some holes and poor this stuff into the holes cap them over night and in the morning its split i can not remember what its called or were we got it last time but i will try and find out and let you know.

Forcite???? got a light :rofl2:

look for cracks or change in color in the rock that will be a week point like when it goes from grey to black or you can go into the white part be careful its brittle.

Thanks Guy, some good info there.

Doesn't show up too well in the photo's but most of the rocks have very pronounced veins running thru them so I'll start the cuts there. I also saw that liquid promoted on one of the DIY shows and it looks like a pretty slick product.

I'm busy for the next couple days but then I'll go rent the hammer and see what happens. Can't be too expensive for a day or 2 and if it doesn't work I'm not out too much and I'll move on to "Plan B".....a big pile of top soil to bury the rocks :lol:

Edited by lew

Hi ya Lew.

Im off to do some jack hammering for my pop this up coming weekend.No rocks,just old concrete walk ways and a big pad. The rental is going to be 60 bucks a day. Thats up north,so maybe cheaper yer way.

I would go with the cover with soil and plant.JMO bud.

Oh ya,I bought some leaders. :whistling::rofl2:

Oh ya,I bought some leaders. :whistling::rofl2:

Your gonna save alot more $$$$ on lures than you payed for those leaders Brian :lol:

I already considered the truck and come-along Bob but I'd have to drive across 200' of lawns to get to the rock pile, which I'd rather not do, and then I'd have to drive right thru the middle of the wife's veggie garden and if I did that, I'd be moving into the garage...permanentely :lol::lol: