Fishing License fish limit

Hey OFNERS

I am doing my annual fishing trip in Northern Quebec and have a question about fish limits

If i purchase a fishing license for 7 days from the province of Quebec i believe the daily limit is 8

At the end of the week the number of fish i can bring home is it 8 or is 8 times the number of days for the license which would be 56

I am not planning on clearing out the lake I believe in preserving the fish life for the love of the sport i just want to make sure if i bring home

fish i am not over my limit

If you are from Ontario and your returning with these fish to Ontario ... The Ontario possession limit is 4 ... Total... So if you get caught with more then 4 you may get a fine... Depends if wether or not th C.O. Believes where you caught the fish...

I'd only bring home 4 per person...

Thanks for the replies

i didn't think about the limit changing when you cross the provincial boundaries

Even if I still had an active quebec fishing license for the day i would return home????

What happens if the people i am going with don't have an active ontario fishing license when they enter Ontario they just have the quebec license???

Thanks for the replies

i didn't think about the limit changing

when you cross the provincial boundaries

Even if I still had an active quebec fishing license for the day i would

return home????

What happens if the people i am going with don't have an active ontario fishing license when they enter Ontario they just have the quebec license???

I live in the burmuda triangle of borders... In a day I am in Ontario... USA... And Quebec...

So I asked a CO if I could get a NY state licence and bring home 5 walleye... He said yes as long as I can explain where I caught them... But this would mean im in possession of 5 walleye in ontario... Wich is illigal!!!! You are only allowed to posses 4... But it's one of those situations where it depends on the CO that checks you...

And what kinda moods he is in...

that kind of thing is every where because of slot size and and different limits

I have seen where on one side of a bridge I can keep 4 walleye get my limit then fish on the other side and catch 2 more because it's a 6 fish limit on that side

and the slots are different to..

better have the video recorder running all day to prove it if the MNR show up

I live in the burmuda triangle of borders... In a day I am in Ontario... USA... And Quebec...

So I asked a CO if I could get a NY state licence and bring home 5 walleye... He said yes as long as I can explain where I caught them... But this would mean im in possession of 5 walleye in ontario... Wich is illigal!!!! You are only allowed to posses 4... But it's one of those situations where it depends on the CO that checks you...

And what kinda moods he is in...

The CO is giving you wrong information, In Ontario you are only allowed to posses 4 Walleye,it dosn't matter if you have a NY state Liscence or not, it dosn't matter where the fish are caught. It's simple 4 walleye only in your possession anymore and your in violation and will be subject to fines

The CO is giving you wrong information, In Ontario you are only allowed to posses 4 Walleye,it dosn't matter if you have a NY state Liscence or not, it dosn't matter where the fish are caught. It's simple 4 walleye only in your possession anymore and your in violation and will be subject to fines

Then by all rights if you are moving from one FMZ to another while transporting fish, you are only allowed to keep the lower of the limits wherever you end up, that's wrong. Even in Ontario there are areas where you are only allowed 2 walleye and if you reside in a 4 walleye zone, that would mean you could only keep 2, not likely.

Then by all rights if you are moving from one FMZ to another while transporting fish, you are only allowed to keep the lower of the limits wherever you end up, that's wrong. Even in Ontario there are areas where you are only allowed 2 walleye and if you reside in a 4 walleye zone, that would mean you could only keep 2, not likely.

If the possession limit in that FMZ is 2 while in that FMZ you can only posses 2 if your caught with 4 you will be fined.It's simple abide by the limits, Daily catch and possession for the area your in.

If the possession limit in that FMZ is 2 while in that FMZ you can only posses 2 if your caught with 4 you will be fined.It's simple abide by the limits, Daily catch and possession for the area your in.

Sorry but you're wrong on that one. Scenario#1. I went to Vances Resort in Spanish, ON, it's located in FMZ 14, only allowed 2 per day, 4 in possession. If you go up the Spanish river about 1 km you enter FMZ 10 where you are allowed 4 in possession. The CO's see people going back and forth all day, no one gets charged.

Scenario #2, You go and fish Simcoe for 2 days and catch 100 perch, go home on the 2nd day and you live in Peterboro or anywhere in FMZ 16 that has a limit of 50. You don't get charged. Some of the Americans that come to Simcoe in the winter have to travel back through lower limit zones, they don't get charged either.

If the possession limit is 2 where you live and you get your freezer checked by a CO and you have more than 2... Your getting a fine... I'd bet my paycheck on that one

Otherwise I could say the 30 walleye in my freezer are from every zone in Ontario... That's not gunna fly with the CO

If the possession limit is 2 where you live and you get your freezer checked by a CO and you have more than 2... Your getting a fine... I'd bet my paycheck on that one

Otherwise I could say the 30 walleye in my freezer are from every zone in Ontario... That's not gunna fly with the CO

No, you couldn't possess more than one limit; but you could possess a limit from the zone with the highest limit... unless the CO had evidence that you caught them in a zone with a lower limit.

Your possession limit relates to where you caught the fish, not where you're transporting them, wake up. :wallbash:

If your possession limit were you live is 2 and you have 4... You are 100% over you limit!!!!! Plain and simple!!!

Otherwise they might as well make the possession limits province wide cause all you have to do is say they were caught in a zone with a higher limit...

Someone needs to ask a CO, because I think we're all using personal opinions instead of facts, lol.

I can't see how my possession limit is based upon where I live and not where I fish. That makes zero sense.

Guest gbfisher

I can't see the confusion. A Catch limit is for each day. Possesion limit is what you may have in your freezer.

Sure the catch and possesion limits change from Zone to Zone.

I think an interpreter is needed....lol :D

possession limits is the number you are allowed to have in your possession on hand,in cold storage,IN TRANSIT, or anywhere. Read the regs

...and you are telling me to read the regs, lol..

'The number depends on the type of licence you hold, the species, the zone in which they are caught and, in some cases, their size. '

So tell me where in the regs it states you possession limit is based upon what zone you live in, regardless of where you actually caught your fish. If you find it, I'll eat my hat.

Edited by BillM

It dosn't matter where you live,or where you caught it matters where you are when you are checked.If your in a jurisdiction that only allows a said number of fish to be your possession and you are checked in that jurisdiction if you possess over the number you will be fined.If I'm in Quebec and am allowed to possess 8 walleye great, if I come into Ontario and possess 8 Walleye I'm 4 over the limit and will be fined simple.

So, if I take my boat out on Lake Ontario (Zone 20) I can catch and possess 5 steelhead, but once I set foot on land in Port Hope harbour (Zone 17) I can only possess 2 of those fish? Doesn't quite make sense to me.

According to some people here, that's how it works, lol!!!!

I wonder how many charter boat customers have been charged for being over their limits once they hit shore?

It dosn't matter where you live,or where you caught it matters where you are when you are checked.If your in a jurisdiction that only allows a said number of fish to be your possession and you are checked in that jurisdiction if you possess over the number you will be fined.If I'm in Quebec and am allowed to possess 8 walleye great, if I come into Ontario and possess 8 Walleye I'm 4 over the limit and will be fined simple.

I dunno what to tell you man, except for that's completely inaccurate.

But hey, your fish, your limit you do what you want to do I guess.

Edited by BillM