Thinking about selling my engines

NAW

I currently own 4 outboard motors. 2 in great working order, and 2 for parts.

One is a 89 15hp merc that came with my boat. The other is a 81 25Hp Evenrude. The parts motors are both for the Evenrude.

The merc hasn't been used since I got the evenrude 2 years ago.

I'm thinking about selling all the motors, and getting a newer, more economical motor.

The 25 is hard on gas, and pollutes the water to much. The 15 is good on gas, and clean, but doesn't push my boat fast enough when loaded up.

Is it true that boating equipment (like engines) sell for less in the fall, and more expensive in the spring?

I was thinking about picking up a late 90's, early 2000's 20hp tiller at the end of this year. Then next spring putting my old outboards up for sale.

What do you guys think? Is if worth waiting to sell them still the spring for a few extra dollars, or should I just put them up for sale now?

I was thinking $1000 for the 25hp Evenrude with the 2 parts motors, and $600 for the Merc. Do those prices seem about right.

There a 25hp evenrude, same year and model as mine on Kijiji right now for $800 w/ no parts motors.. (edit..)

Edited by N.A.W

I think you will always find someone to buy at whatever price you set them at.

The one thing I found about kijiji is that people are expecting to get the same amount the motor sold for when it was new (ie. 1976 6hp $500). Just doesn't make sense to me. I had bought a 1986 johnson from a marina on the French for $600 in the late 90's and felt that steep, but best deal I could find at the time. Your motor is 20 years old, however, that size used motor is in demand. I think the 15hp is reasonably priced and should sell quickly.

Just my thoughts.

Right up my alley. The evinrude is priced too high because the parts motors are actually worth nothing until you need a part. for an 81 25hp I figure around $800. The 15hp should sell at that price but expect offers aroung $450-$500.

I have to agree with Cliff the pricing you have set seems really high but it seems in Canada prices are higher their for boating items. Whether you sell now or when the price is higher is irrelevant since you are also purchasing a used unit yourself. If you purchase NEW this fall and sell in the spring your bang for the buck will be the greatest.

Art

One of the parts motors for the Evenrude is a running engine. Just needs a new gear in the bottom end, other then that, it's a mint condition unit. Brand new prop, not a scratch on it.

Definitely worth something. That's why I pegged it at a grand.

This is my motor, essentially, on kijiji with out a parts motors.

http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-parts-trailers-accessories-25-HP-electric-start-outboard-has-cable-as-well-as-hand-controls-W0QQAdIdZ291334687

Edited by N.A.W