transducer on trolling motor

goteeboy

Hey guys and gals

I got a new fishfinder/gps and so i mounted the old one at the bow of the boat. My question: is there a way to mount a transom mount transducer onto the trolling motor or must I get a trolling motor transducer. And if i can mount it onto the trolling motor should i foresee any issues with the operation of it? I wouldn't think so. Should I/Can I mount it w/ epoxy?

Second question: The new fishfinder is a humminbird. i mounted the new transducer but it is kicking up a rooster tail at high speed and then the spray from that is getting into the boat even. So there's a 1x1/5 inch gap between the bracket and the transducer. I think this is where the spray is coming from. Anyway to prevent this? Should i fill the gap with epoxy?

Thanks for the comments in advance.

Edited by goteeboy

I think most likely, its either too low on the transom, or angled too much forward. I have a Hummingbird also, and do not have this problem.Botton of trans should be app 1/4 inch below the transom, and angled app 1/4 inch upwards to give you readings at high speed.Just adjust it on the water untill you are happy with the results

Paul

you can buy a trolling motor 'bracket' that wraps around your trolling motor and attaches the transducer. or you can use electrical tape and a piece of wood to support the transducer.

don't epoxy, glue, weld, or anything like that.

Very nicely done. What mounting hardware did you use?

The hardware is just what came with the transom mount transducer....if you look closely you will see where the hose clamp goes through the mount...that is where you would put your screw through to mount it on the back of the boat...but I just took pliers and bent it a little bit to shape it around the TM..

Edited by Billy Bob

The hardware is just what came with the transom mount transducer....if you look closely you will see where the hose clamp goes through the mount...that is where you would put your screw through to mount it on the back of the boat...but I just took pliers and bent it a little bit to shape it around the TM..

:thumbsup_anim: Nice job

Just mounted a brand new Humminbird this season and had the same rooster tail. Wrapped some electrical tape around the "hole" in the bracket and all is good. We measured and installed exactly as the plans stated - and have installed transducers in the past - so it wasn't an issue with placement. My boat has a rather shallow draft, so when on plane, the bracket is just level with the water's surface, creating said rooster tail. Anyways, an easy fix with electrical tape.

As for mounting it on the motor, you can buy an adapter kit (hose clamp, bracket) that will allow you to mount the transom 'ducer on the bow mount. Think they sell for about 20 or 30 bucks.

Good Fishing,

Justin

Hey guys and gals

I got a new fishfinder/gps and so i mounted the old one at the bow of the boat. My question: is there a way to mount a transom mount transducer onto the trolling motor or must I get a trolling motor transducer. And if i can mount it onto the trolling motor should i foresee any issues with the operation of it? I wouldn't think so. Should I/Can I mount it w/ epoxy?

Second question: The new fishfinder is a humminbird. i mounted the new transducer but it is kicking up a rooster tail at high speed and then the spray from that is getting into the boat even. So there's a 1x1/5 inch gap between the bracket and the transducer. I think this is where the spray is coming from. Anyway to prevent this? Should i fill the gap with epoxy?

I had they same proplem with mine last year if you contact humminbird there is a part that they send you free under warrenty and it goes between the transdicer and the monting pice.

First time I pulled my boat back out of the water I filled the gap between the top of the transducer and the transom with black RTV sealant. Still allows me to click the transducer up or down a notch, which is necessary to track bottom at 45mph vs tracking the downrigger balls when bowed back. Rooster tail purdy much gone...

the rooster tale is a common problem, there are a million complaints in to humminbird about this problem. there is an insert that fills the void in the transducer bracket. go online to humminbird and order one, if you moan enough they are free. or talk to bay distributing in north bay.

it is not a mounting issue and there is no reason to fill it with tape or modelling clay or an old piece of carpet. just do a little research the answers are out there!

the rooster tale is a common problem, there are a million complaints in to humminbird about this problem. there is an insert that fills the void in the transducer bracket. go online to humminbird and order one, if you moan enough they are free. or talk to bay distributing in north bay.

it is not a mounting issue and there is no reason to fill it with tape or modelling clay or an old piece of carpet. just do a little research the answers are out there!

You guys are amazing. The amount of accumulated knowledge out there is impressive!

Thanks.

I mounted one with just large hose clamps. I can't recall if I used 1 or 2 clamps because of the diameter of the motor. I did put a piece of wood between the transducer ears so I didn't deflect them too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nicely done. What mounting hardware did you use?

I mounted it just like you did and it worked out really well. Now I'm assuming that the direction the transducer is mounted doesn't really matter.

Thanks again for the advice.

I just put a new garmin fishfinder in my boat and i get a bit of a rooster tail, the finder seems to be working well, is the remedy to low the transducer a bit or is something of a rooster tail normal?

well i tried the electric tape solution and it works like a charm. Not sure how long it will last, but in any case it works. No more rooster tail.

Maybe a stupid question but........does the trasducer on the TM read a different depth than the trasnsom mount if they are both on? I would think that the shaft length would make the reading less? 0

I have my bow mounted Lowrance X55 with the transducer on the transom, which really doesn't help when you are looking at it up front. It reads the exact same as my HDS5 on my consul because the transducers are both on the transom. Anyone use a though-hull transducer for their bow units?

Maybe a stupid question but........does the trasducer on the TM read a different depth than the trasnsom mount if they are both on? I would think that the shaft length would make the reading less? 0

I have my bow mounted Lowrance X55 with the transducer on the transom, which really doesn't help when you are looking at it up front. It reads the exact same as my HDS5 on my consul because the transducers are both on the transom. Anyone use a though-hull transducer for their bow units?

well, related to the first question, i know that with FFs, you can adjust depth to compensate for a hull that sits deep in the water or a TM that goes a foot or two below the surface.

The advantage of having a transducer on the TM is that it's reading the drop offs as you approach them when under power of the TM....

I have 2 Lowrance LMS 520C units that are networked together and also Ethernet together to share transducers. Don't know if Humminbird has that capability. The Ethernet cord gives the units transducer sharing while the network gives both units the ability to share waypoints and I can control each unit from just one unit....if I change anything or input anything while fishing up front at the TM it also does it to the console unit.

Bob