Huge Back Lake Pike! (video clip and pic's)

solopaddler

The premise of this trip was primarily a bit of reno work at my camp in Quebec.

Since purchasing 7 years ago it's been almost entirely rebuilt with the notable exception of my shed.

A huge ungainly monstrosity filled to the brim with all manner of essential stuff, buried out of sight in the brush and trees on a hillside near the cottage.

I've yet to be up there this year, just too much going on. My dad opened it up when I was at the Attawapiskat and he warned me the footings on the shed were ready to give way.

Not something he was able to tackle by himself a spur of the moment trip was planned to rectify the situation.

Joining me was Doug (Skud on the board). I've fished with him a couple of times now at Eddie's. Not only is he a good man to be around, he's also in the construction business. A perfect companion for this particular trip. :)

It was nice once again to see our little hideaway after so many months:

CottageJune2011025.jpg

After unloading and relaxing for a bit we took stock of the situation. Not a pretty sight:

Oldsupports.jpg

Oldsupports2.jpg

With a considerable amount of sweat (it was 30 degrees out, no wind and the deer flies were swarming :) ), we jacked up the shed, removed the old footings, dug holes for new ones, intalled them and poured concrete.

It's not "perfect", in fact I'm sure Mike Holmes would raze it to the ground, but it'll be solid for awhile now. ;)

NewSupports.jpg

NewSupports2.jpg

With that nasty chore out of the way we now had two full days to fish and fish we did.

Two favourite back lakes were on tap and it was with pretty high expectations that we launched the squareback the next morning.

CottageJune2011003.jpg

Unfortunately it was a super tough bite. 'Till the day I die I'll never figure these fish out. Just when you think you have reality bites back with a day like this. (But then that's what makes the sport interesting, right?)

Oh we caught fish...oodles of tiny smallmouth bass and a handful of small pike, but nothing to write home about.

Doug enjoyed himself though I think.

CottageJune2011005.jpg

This narrow little strip of rock allowed us to get out and stretch at one point, catching good numbers of bass as well. (none picture worthy)

CottageJune2011008.jpg

And that was about it for Friday. We still enjoyed the day though, how could you not bathed in such glorious sunshine and scenery?

That evening we grilled a couple of thick sirloins on the deck, enjoyed one or two drinks and marvelled at the sunset.

RedSkies.jpg

Under normal circumstances I'd have taken it easy the next day and fished my lake from the big boat.

I left it up to Doug though and trooper that he is he called it: back lake number two.

We had zero expectations after the day before and as is usually the case, the fish rewarded our ambivalence with a stellar day. :)

As always the scenery alone on this jewel of a lake is worth the trip.

Island.jpg

CliffIsland.jpg

GreyMike.jpg

CottageJune2011010.jpg

We picked off a bunch of walleye on jigs fishing a deep pool where a mild rapids runs in.

When that tapered off we worked some likely structure on the main lake pulling bottom bouncers and spinner rigs with worms. My homemade harnesses finally came through with black, purple and dark blue blades doing most of the damage.

Nothing huge, but lots of these little guys kept the proceedings interesting:

CottageJune2011013.jpg

We were working a 10' channel between two islands when it happened.

At first Doug thought he was snagged. Until the fish that grabbed his harness turned and bolted on a blistering run. :)

I immediately turned on the video camera and managed to capture almost the entire battle on film. You'll have to ignore the annoying wind noise, beyond that it's not half bad:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OE_zuHyUbe0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I could not have been happier for Doug! The fish taped out at precisely 42" and was thick and fat (although oddly coloured).

Congrat's buddy, for this particular lake that is a remarkable catch! :thumbsup_anim:

Backlake42.jpg

We kept a bunch of eater walleye and at the end of the day pulled in to a nearby island to fillet our catch and put them on ice.

CottageJune2011020.jpg

WorkingHard.jpg

Really we couldn't have asked for a more perfect day!

We got back to the camp at a decent time that evening and once again enjoyed the sunset over a few drinks.

Doug was a great companion on this trip and a huge help!

Thanks buddy I'm looking forward 'till the next time already (sans work project ;) )

Cheers, Mike

Going down those rapids backwards without oars is quite an adventure. I'm sure you boys weren't stupid enough to do that, lol!!!

Good job guys!

:lol:

We went in a different way this time.

Not sure if you've seen this though Billy. Unlike you ( :D ) when I shot the rapids with my little girl we stayed in a straight line and didn't spin like a top LOL!

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bkCFJIB5RcM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by solopaddler

Another fantastic report, Mike. Doug, I was wincing everytime you grabbed the line. :D Thanks for sharing. Glad you guys had a good time.

Kids will be safe walking around that shed now too!

It was a fun four days Mike. Call me up anytime. I am usually a bit more graceful when landing a big pike but Mike had me all paranoid that I was going to lose my arm or something. I escaped the Pike unscathed but 10 minutes later a 12" Bass put a hook in my finger when I lipped it and I bled like a stuck pig. Nice report Mike

Thanks guys!

Doug, I was wincing everytime you grabbed the line. :D

Me too.

Nice weekend there you two! So why did you not want to go back through the rapids again with your daughter? She seemed game.... :lol:

Easy to go down bud, not so easy to go back up. :)

I am usually a bit more graceful when landing a big pike but Mike had me all paranoid that I was going to lose my arm or something. I escaped the Pike unscathed but 10 minutes later a 12" Bass put a hook in my finger when I lipped it and I bled like a stuck pig. Nice report Mike

Poetic justice from the fish gods. :)

Sometimes I think you're an absolute nutcase Mike... to have a cottage that far away and make those gas guzzlin' drives like you do. But then I remember the cottage, the feeling of slipping into those backlakes, (and watching Bill take rapids in reverse :clapping: ) and the rewards of fish once in there. MAN! Skud hit the jackpot though!!! Nice. :thumbsup_anim: