Best rod series in the $100 +/- price point ?

Lunker777

Hey everyone

I am in the market for a couple new rods and I have been REALLY looking into the MOJO series....but before I pull the trigger, I want to hear some input from the OFC community.

I know its a loaded question.... but compared to the MOJO series... is there anything else in this price point that I should be considering ???

The rods will be paired with Curados.

Thanks

X2 for compre....

I have mojo's also and like them, but the Shimano warranty can't really be beat. I had a mojo break on me last year and they have just a 5 year warranty, shimano compre has lifetime. It cost me almost $40 to ship the mojo to the USA to get it replaced. I've since switched to using Shimano Crucials (1 above the compre) and love them.

I think you'll get alot of opinions on here.

My votes go for the Mojo and BPS Extreme. I have several Extremes purchased when they went on sale for $69 and have never felt the need to go out and replace these. Have both trigger and spinning and they perform flawlessly beside more expensive St Croix, Fenwicks and Diawa's.

Last year I picked up 2 of the Mojo's to replace some older Team Diawa finesse rods (try and find these if you can) that were finally beat down and could not come back to life. The 6'8 Mojo drop shot is a really nice rod.

Another light to medium series I like for similar money is the St Croix Premier

Hey everyone

I am in the market for a couple new rods and I have been REALLY looking into the MOJO series....but before I pull the trigger, I want to hear some input from the OFC community.

I know its a loaded question.... but compared to the MOJO series... is there anything else in this price point that I should be considering ???

The rods will be paired with Curados.

Thanks

Hi,

I use the Shimano Crucial and find it an excellent rod, its well balanced and a pleasure to use, coupled with the Shimano warranty I think you'll find it hard to beat.

If somebody knows where Crucial`s are selling for a 100 bucks please do tell!!!

I have a mojo looks like a decent rod for the money, still haven`t used it though so I don`t know how it fishes.

I have several Compre`s and I have been happy with them and you can`t beat Shimano`s warranty and customer service!

People told me to start with AVID if I trun to St. Croix. Mojo Bass is a decent rod given the pricing. However, my friend told me the material of Mojo is not that good. However, thinking about the price difference, $100 vs. $200+, I would go for:

1) Mojo

2) BPS CarbonLite

3) BPS JM Signature Series II

Posted this awhile ago...The current line of Crucials and Compres are being discontinued. A new design for both models should be released at ICAST in July. So before you buy the old models you might want to wait and check out the new ones. But if you need them now then I know one online store has Crucials on sale for $138 plus they're having a 20% off sale for fathers day...

Look for used stuff on Kijiji, here and BFB. There's a brand new Crucial on BFB right now for $100 if you are looking for a bass rod.

Lots of quality stuff out there for decent prices.

I got 2 Compres, a St. Croix and a custom rod with wooden reel seat and butt for a total of $120. New the rods would have been minimum of $500.

March/April or Nov./Dec. is the best time to get them cheap, as we get closer to bass season, prices go up.

I bought a couple rods at the $100 dollar mark and hated them. I have a couple mojo's and I still don't see how any one could say they are a nice rod.. Compre's go for about $120 and the difference feels like a $100 price jump over the mojo's, and even if they were the same blank, for a couple mores bucks your good for life with shimano's warranty. I haven't tried every -$100 rod out there, but I do know I have wasted money buying to cheap. So unless you know some one with a lower end rod you can try out before buying, I'd stick with compre+.

I'm pretty much hooked on Cabelas Fish Eagle II rods. I've been using them exclusively for a decade now. Top quality componants for a song. High-quality CX2, 38 million modulus IM6 blanks equipped with Portuguese cork handles, Fuji Hardloy guides. $80.00 each for a wide range of products from spinning, casting and they even have a Steelhead line. The best thing is that I've used $300.00 and $400.00 rods and I prefer the Fish Eagle over them. If you break a rod, it's better to be out 80 bucks than 3 or 4 hundred. Check them out on Cabelas site. Read the reviews. You'll see lots of comments like mine. They went on sale early in the year for half price. I bought 4 more. Yes. I'm using $40.00 rods at this point in time. With money not being much of an issue, I wouldn't trade them for anything.

I'm pretty much hooked on Cabelas Fish Eagle II rods. I've been using them exclusively for a decade now. Top quality componants for a song. High-quality CX2, 38 million modulus IM6 blanks equipped with Portuguese cork handles, Fuji Hardloy guides. $80.00 each for a wide range of products from spinning, casting and they even have a Steelhead line. The best thing is that I've used $300.00 and $400.00 rods and I prefer the Fish Eagle over them. If you break a rod, it's better to be out 80 bucks than 3 or 4 hundred. Check them out on Cabelas site. Read the reviews. You'll see lots of comments like mine. They went on sale early in the year for half price. I bought 4 more.

I agree with what you're saying Dan, they're decent rods.

But 38 million modulus is far from a top quality blank.

I agree with what you're saying Dan, they're decent rods.

But 38 million modulus is far from a top quality blank.

I don't have a clue what that means Mike. I just fish with them. And I like them obviously. Besides a bunch of numbers, tell me what I'm missing out on? I've owned several Loomis and top of the line Cabelas rods. But I much prefer the Fish Eagle II.

I don't have a clue what that means Mike. I just fish with them. And I like them obviously. Besides a bunch of numbers, tell me what I'm missing out on? I've owned several Loomis and top of the line Cabelas rods. But I much prefer the Fish Eagle II.

I'm not going to even go there Dan. Seems to me you're not missing out on anything. ;)

He seems to be doing it right Mike... the bugger even trolls with them tip forward and doesn't break them! (unless of course that's why he ordered 4 more :D )

8augz8.jpg

Ha! First time I've seen that shot Wayne. Love it. Always tip forward for me so I can see what's going on with the business end of the rod when I'm navigating. Occasionally I have a problem getting the rod out of the holder though when a decent fish hits. My minimum 8' length rod helps with that. And yes, I broke two rods in Red Lake last summer. One was stepped on and the other somehow broke when a buddy was throwing a gang hook on a rope off of our dock looking for lawn chairs. But I'm all rodded up and good to go again this year.

The Abu Garcia rods in the Vendetta, Veritas, and Verdict are all worth considering. Really nice feel to them, and great price point. Veritas and Verdict rods come with SiC guide inserts too.

Yea, but how many million modulus are they?