looking to buy some accesories for the toys

tinbanger

picking up my new , to me, f150 ,5.4l ,4x4 crew tomorrow and once we sell the honda van hope to make some nessasary purchases

purchase one

cat-back exhaust system , looking at magnaflow .any suggestions/opinions ? confused with all the options .

plan on installing myself ,so system that is easy to install preferred

purchase two

air filtre system ( K&N?) agian suggestions welcomed.

purhcase three

GPS combo unit for the boat , planning atrip to Radio world in the next couple of weeks

leaning toward Lowrance

thankS for any and all advice/comments

TB

I admit the sound is part of it , but from what I ve read ( so far and not only the Magna flow website ,ha!) it improves performance and mileage albeit slightly

I ll check out ARAID and almost forgot about the cargo cover

thanks ,guys

When I ordered my 150 last year Dave I had them include an Xtang Solid Fold and it's an excellent cover. Very strong but folds up outta the way for higher objects or can be totally removed in a couple minutes.

Something to look at anyways.

http://www.extang.co.../solidfold.html

X2

I had them put one on my new Ranger last year.Sleek looking, and folds up nicely.

In my experience all you get is more noise and no better mileage.

You tend to tromp more on it to hear it which in turns burns more gas. If I had to choose I would rather do an air intake than an exhaust setup. If you start opening up the exhaust you can loose torque but gain HP.

I'd save your money for more tackle!

If I had to choose I would rather do an air intake than an exhaust setup.

I'm far from a mechanic but was always under the impression that if you were looking to improve performance, you basically need to upgrade both intake & exhaust as one without the other wouldn't make much difference. :dunno:

picking up my new , to me, f150 ,5.4l ,4x4 crew tomorrow and once we sell the honda van hope to make some nessasary purchases

purchase one

cat-back exhaust system , looking at magnaflow .any suggestions/opinions ? confused with all the options .

plan on installing myself ,so system that is easy to install preferred

purchase two

air filtre system ( K&N?) agian suggestions welcomed.

purhcase three

GPS combo unit for the boat , planning atrip to Radio world in the next couple of weeks

leaning toward Lowrance

thankS for any and all advice/comments

TB

First thing first, get the chip,

http://www.superchips.com/Products/tabid/108/ctl/product/mid/687/ProductId/93/product/Ford_Gas_Flashpaq/Default.aspx

increased power, HUGE savings on gas and runs much better, my brother just put one on his 2011 f150..awesome... my 2 buddies with F250 Diesal also have it...and they have the straight pipes and the intake...Crazy power on those... The Chips mapping is adjusting depending on the mods you have.

And they all have calculated the they are saving 3-5 l/100 since adding the mods and chips... Mods should pay for themselves in under 1 year.

Edited by cityfisher

if you want to just get the drop-in filter - that's one thing but the entire "CAI" k&n 'kit' - don't waste your time. especially if you drive in dusty/off road places. just extra noise and poorer filtration. don't believe the hype.

as far as the exhaust, i'd wait for the stock one to rust out before moving up. typically a free-ier flowing exhaust adds power up high in the rpm band (where you don't use it day to day) and sometimes takes away down low. unless you're taking it to the drag strip, i'd forego the drone on the highway.

if you insist, magnaflow are good. get a shop to bend you the piping. make sure its mandrel bent not crush bent. it'll likely be cheaper than the pre-fabbed turnkey stuff and as good if not superior quality.

Edited by Raf

thanks for the replies .

always can count on OFNrs to have some good suggestions .will have to do some rethinking it appears

on a side note youngest son and I spent a few hours on Sparrow today , 3 pike in the boat .one pushing 30" and two hammer handles. good day to be out

$20 for launch this year !!

TB

i have dual exhaust magnaflows on my 07 dodge charger (5.7L) and they sound sick you will get some cabin noise on the high way but all and all not overly bad might be a little different on a truck tho all depends on how you set it up. i have a power aid throttle body spacer on it sounds like i have a turbo on it haha :thumbsup_anim:

also have the K&N cold air intake i would recommend one lets the engine breath a little better and all you have to do is clean it every now and then and its as good as new, a little expensive but worth it.

One other thing you might want (depends on how you feel about them :whistling: ) is HID head lights very easy to install and are A LOT better at night

First thing first, get the chip,

http://www.superchips.com/Products/tabid/108/ctl/product/mid/687/ProductId/93/product/Ford_Gas_Flashpaq/Default.aspx

increased power, HUGE savings on gas and runs much better, my brother just put one on his 2011 f150..awesome... my 2 buddies with F250 Diesal also have it...and they have the straight pipes and the intake...Crazy power on those... The Chips mapping is adjusting depending on the mods you have.

And they all have calculated the they are saving 3-5 l/100 since adding the mods and chips... Mods should pay for themselves in under 1 year.

They need to improve their math, no way they are saving 3-5l's per 100kms. If they were, those 'chips' would be installed in every single dealership before those trucks ever left the lot!

I know all about modding vehicles (especially diesels).. You do get some mpg improvement, but we are talking 1-2% at most..

It would be magic Bill.. considering the 5.0 Coyote engine in my F150 is averaging 12.8 l / 100km. I haven't hit reset since I bought it with 1.8km on it and that includes all the trips up and down college street, to Mount Sinai, since I got the truck in January. Currently has 5000k on it... (and has already shed the first layer of rust off the exhaust manifolds! :wallbash: ) 5 lt / 100km would be a 40% gain in economy !

Edited by irishfield

LOL!

Don't even get me started on dropin HID kits into reflector housings.. I hate being blinded by those dumbasses that somehow think that improves anything (unless you enjoy uneven lighting and hotspots)