Snapped off spark plug

irishfield

LOL Chris... only one cut on my right hand!

Another long day... prior to working on getting the plug out, it would start on 2 cylinders. After all the welding on the exhaust yesterday I couldn't get it to start today and figured maybe the condensor finally packed it in as am definitely fighting a spark issue as well. Thought for giggles I'd do a compression test on the old beast... center cyl 95 psi.. front 32.. rear ZERO ! DANG.. did I burn a hole in the piston.. couldn't have as it was pumping air when I cranked it to blow any last crap out yesterday.

I looked in with a flash light today and saw what I though was melted aluminum... DAMN I did burn a hole in it, but no it can't be.. no way. Compression test again... ZERO..HMMMM. So I'm thinking.. maybe I did burn a small hole in the piston and just can't see it, so I put a 1/4 quart of oil in on top of the piston to see if it would drain thru into the case. It did not. So now I'm thinking the only way to get ZERO is a valve must be stuck open, so I vacuumed out the oil and took the rocker cover off and I find the exhaust push rod sitting beside the rocker arm. How did that happen??.... I guess while welding the exhaust enough slag went in the exhaust port and collected on an open valve face and this was what I saw reflecting off the piston top when I shawn the light in that looked like melted alum. So the valve stayed open.. and the push rod fell out of the rocker. Got it all fixed up and still had ZERO. Gave the valve a few wacks and it crumbled what ever was left in there and I suddenly had 95psi on that one toooo !! :) More investigating and I found no clearance on the front exhaust rocker arm. Once I backed that off and gave it a little lash the front cylinder jumped from 32 to 95 as well ! :clapping: Amazed that valve hasn't burnt right off... with it sitting open a tad for all these years. Exhaust all welded up, new muffler installed that I've had sitting in the shop for a decade and it purrs!

Only question remains is why I'm doing this just so my son can use it. It's never ran this good in all the time I've owned it (since 1995!). Oh yah, at 28 years old... I'm tired of excuses as to why he hasn't started his house build next door..... :wallbash: Hard for a guy like me to understand, as I left home at 17 and was on his 3rd home by that age.

Edited by irishfield

Good Job ...but you do realize...HE could have rented a machine for the day to do his landscaping and YOU could have been fishing....but its nice to know you have a dozer ready to go should the next task arise...i had an old Jager 150 CFM compressor in the same situation ....i ended up pulling the head AND heli-coil :wallbash:

Good Job!

"DAY".. LOL... he'll be on it for weeks and weeks.

I guess the bonus for me... if he doesn't kill it.... then it means I have my machine back on line with a skidder winch on the back for fall wood cutting, and I'm gonna start by taking oaks and maples from his property!!!! :D

Edited by irishfield

It begs to be asked.....

Lose any knuckle skin? whistling.gif

Of course he did Chris. I saw him shed blood exiting his amphibious airplane when he bumped his head on the wing. Something he's done thousands of times before. I'm bringing a needle and thread next time I hook up with him. :whistling:

8augz9f.jpg

I can't count how many Specks I've caught in the view of that shot Wayne. I booked a few days off around the full moon (no co-incidence there) the second week of September. Let me know if you're interested.

We'll see where we're at here Dan.. and keep it in mind! Bad time of year for X country.. will have to do it via Hearst/Geralton this time as I'm not sleeping on the Marathon terminal floor again....

Your call Bud. Here's how they look in mid Sept around a full moon. There's one of these out there waiting for you. That pectoral fin is almost 5 inches long.

8speck.jpg

Congrats IF, finding and fixing the valve issue is icing on the cake. It took me a month to get a stripped lug nut off of a minivan and the joy when it comes off is unexplainable.

Good Job!! Most people would have not bothered to keep at it. Your a good man Charlie Brown!! I hope your son appreciates the trouble you went to get that thing running so he could use it. You are right in one of your earlier posts, this is an incredible community, you had some real good advice from a lot of different people.

Your call Bud. Here's how they look in mid Sept around a full moon. There's one of these out there waiting for you. That pectoral fin is almost 5 inches long.

8speck.jpg

now you're just rubbing it in with pictures of fish like that

why are photos allowed on this site anyways......:sarcasm: