Lake Nipigon

Wow Steve, now I see why you were looking forward to that trip so bad! That is some amazing water to fish, and some even better fish! Congrats on those PB's, three spectacular and VERY well-fed fish! My turn next... on holidays at the end of the week for 11 straight days of fishing... woooohoooo!

That's just an amazing tour. I had read somewhere a report about others camping out on Shakespeare for their trip too. I'd like to give that a shot one of these day.

Congrats on all the beauty PB's. Awesome for ya. Thanks for reporting.

Now how did I miss this report????

Looks like you boys had a stellar trip.

Were you guys able to get into Rea Lake or Teapot Lake?

We are hoping to explore Kelvin Islands this year. I am making room for an additional 40 liters of fuel in the boat for the trek.

Ahhh, the excitement of exploration!

Cheers, Ron...

Awesome report - Congrats on the PBs - that is a swwet collection of fishthumbsup_anim.gif

some of the best scenery in Ontario up there - I have wanted to fish up there for years, maybe time to strat planning a trip

Looks like you had a fantastic trip...I love the nipigon area. I've been fortunate to be able to have been going to this area for the past 10 years every May. When the ice comes off Nipigon has always been an issue. Last year my son and I fished around Shakespaere island and did really well for brookies. I also have never seen another boat on the water in May.

I'm wondering if I've been reading the MNR regs incorrectly though? My understanding is that Lake Trout season opens on the 4th Sat in May? It used to be the 1st Sat in May until the new MNR regs came into effect a few years ago. If there is an exception for Lake Nipigon? I'd love to know if there is as I've been missing out going for Lake Trout in early May.

For me the drive and fuel expense is well worth it...congrats again on a great trip.

Did you see much in the way of bears around Nipigon?

Saw one there yesterday that was about as high as the roof of my half ton. I got out of my truck and ran after her for a photo, but she was too fast for me. There was bear scat all over the road in the drive in too, so it looks like you'll be in luck. There's tons of them up there. And like everything else in the Nipigon area, they grow up to be incredibly huge. My buddy had his boat seat eaten by one last week. Bring your camera.