My first RIVER walleye and a nice surprize too

Well, this weekend didn't go as I had anticipated. My plans to go truck camping/fishing went astray a few days ago and I have been TICKED OFF since Monday about it. :wallbash::angry:

Last night after work, I went out to the local reservoir to relieve some of the stress that was building. Am I ever glad I went.

I sought out the fallen trees in the water and targeted crappies. Set my micro jig and piece of worm to 18" below a weighted float and started playing with the crappies.

They were ON FIRE ! Decent sized crappies too. :)

I took a picture of this one beside a 6" post with 2x8"s bolted to it for comparison.

10inchCrappie.jpg

Too bad I didn't check our team standings BEFORE I Fileted it up. Turns out we have NO panfish ( or many others for that matter on team six stats) :unsure:

My plans to go back for more of these little scrappers this am got sidetracked when one of my buddies called up and needed a hand with his Junk Removal Business today. 888Junkvan

We had to drop a bin off in Woodstock, so u know where i stopped now don't ya..... YEP... Angling Outfitters...My ultralight reel was acting up last night and i just NEEDED a new one. A little cheapie... but new. :blush:

Then I asked the young dude there for some "throw away spinners" as I am going brookie fishing tomorrow with another friend. I got 6 little spinners for $5.00 and combined with the others I have been collecting the last couple of months, i am armed to the gills :w00t:

On the way out the door, the young guy calls me back and says:

" Hey, give this a try for the brookies tomorrow ".

FREEBIE !!

NICE SURPRIZE that was. Thank you dude from Angling Outfitters in Woodstock ( across from the drive in) :clapping:

thebug2.jpg

On the way back to London, we get a call from another friend to help him remove the front porch off his old house....

Dang... I am thinking that I am never gonna get to those crappies. :angry:

But hey, he says he has a bbq full of cheeseburgers and a cooler full of COLLLLD soft drinks... :good: :good:

Two hours later, I am dirty, hot and just wanna FISH. It's 5 0clock already on my day off for goodness sake. :( :(

I pulled out of his driveway and then proceeded to turn the wrong way out of his neighborhood.

Well, it was sort of the wrong way until I saw the mighty Thames river right in front of me. A mere 1000 yards away from his place.

I pulled the truck in, grabbed my pike rod and tackle box and climbed ( see slid on my ass) down a 20 foot well greased embankment. A mere foot from the river by the time I stopped ! :blink: :blink: :w00t:

Who cares, I AM FISHING !

Five casts in and I feel a subtle tap on my lure so I slowly start reeling and then I am not sure if I have a snag, so I let some pressure off and varooom.... the line starts pulling AWAY !

At first I though I had a big sucker on, then it rolled the surface briefly and I thought it was a small bow with the silver it flashed at me.

Two minutes later and voila...... a really TOOTHY set of EYES staring right at me :w00t

Whooo hooooo... a walleye..... yeeehaw....

My brain is racing, I am standing on slick mud and I have to grab the net... five feet away :blush:

All I am thinking is, don't lose it, it's your FIRST RIVER WALLEYE ( I have caught plenty on charters on Erie in the past )

YEAHHHHHH... I get the toothy bugger in....

and here she is >>>>

Walleye1.jpg

19.5 " and nice eater....

And, if I did the sign right, some inches for team six. :dunno:

Ok, now I have to try for some shut eye... we are leaving at 3:45 tomorrow morning and I am AMPED after typing all this.... :blush:

I think I am obsessed with fishing...

Hope to post my first brookie tomorrow night...

Stay safe and have fun everyone.

Edited by splashhopper

Good report. Hard work does pay off.

The young guy at Angling Outfitters name is Al he is a very good friend of mine and a really good guy. One thing about him is he really likes to make sure people are catching fish. Hopefully the freebie does the trick.

Chad

The young guy at Angling Outfitters name is Al he is a very good friend of mine and a really good guy. One thing about him is he really likes to make sure people are catching fish. Hopefully the freebie does the trick.

Chad

Al is an excellent ambassador of the store.... If u are talking to him tell him that caught a BIG rock bass with the little green bug he gave me... but no brookies with it.

However, the cheap spinners he sold me were the ticket... see my next topic ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Chad

Yup Al is great to deal with out there as well! Nice fish hopper :clapping:

Edited by scugog