Fly-In Trip - Mississagi River Provincial Park

The JAY

Well, I'm finally back from the bi-annual Fly-In trip with the boys. 2 new guys in with us this year, and one has never done much more than bank fishing for Sunfish, so I knew he was in for a treat.

Sunday morning the gang packs into the mini-vans, and off on the trek. Hamilton to Windy Lake Hotel. Express... Unfortunately, not our boat...

DSC00254.jpg

After a nice dinner in the Restaurant, it was time for the 'Getting to Know You' session that is key to these types of events. That's me on the far right with the white legs and no fashion sense.

DSC00261.jpg

All other pictures from this night were removed to protect the parties involved...

The next morning, oh so very hung over, it's back in the vans and a quick 45 minutes North to the Flight base.

DSC00267.jpg

And packing the Beaver.

DSC00268.jpg

It was 3 flights in beautiful Northern Ontario weather. Ray, our pilot, was happy to let us know that the ice-out was less than 48 hours ago, so the water was going to be chilly, but that was okay, because the Lakers wouldn't have gone deep yet. Fingers crossed.

fishing015.jpg

The first afternoon and next morning brought some nice weather, but the fishing was less than spectacular. A few little pike, but no sign of the Lakers.

DSC00269.jpg

DSC00273.jpg

That afternoon brought me the first Laker of the trip.

DSC00271.jpg

My buddy Trevor, not a hardcore fisherman to say the least, was putting up a good front, but he wasn't catching. I really wanted him to hook something nice to put a legitimate smile on his face. A little troll through a likely channel put a nice bend in his rod, and a nice pike in the boat. A nice one over 30", and he was now a truly happy camper. There's $5 on the biggest of each species, so we were happy since we were both in the lead.

DSC00274.jpg

The following morning Trev and I set out again to look for some bigger fish. I was just lining up our troll pattern to try that lucky channel again, when Trevor called out that he had snagged. I didn't think that was likely in that area, so I scoped his rod tip and told him the good news that he was wrong. A 4Lb Laker and a grin that wouldn't quit. Okay, the grin was mine. I was so happy for him. In the lead in both species!

DSC00276.jpg

After getting the fish on the stringer and the rods reset, we were again lining up for a trip through the channel when my rod went off in exactly the same place. A few minutes later there was a new leader for the Laker category. A nice 5Lb that is my record for that lake.

DSC00278.jpg

For posterity sake, we had to get a picture of our days work.

DSC00286.jpg

Although not new to fishing, we had another new guy in the group. Ken had some good fishing as well, and was the only one in the group to get Pike, Laker, and Whitefish. The best part was that he got them all on the same Syclops!

fishing005.jpg

fishing001.jpg

Due to us bringing along a true joker, we even managed to has some visitors to the cabin...

DSC00291.jpg

The Evil Mastermind behind the ladies even managed to find some time to catch some fish. A decent pike that nearly won him the pot.

fishing007.jpg

Well, Friday morning eventually did arrive. It was time to pack the gear and drag it down to meet the Beaver. Luckily were well prepared. We expected Ray at 8:45, but I think he was over an hour early, due to weather blowing in.

fishing018.jpg

fishing017.jpg

One last photo-op, complete with a variety of 'Bunny Ears', and it was into the plane for the trips out.

fishing044.jpg

Well, there's the story, and I just want to thank all of the boys for letting me drag them along, even though we've been there 3 times now. There were no monsters caught on the trip, but my 5Lb laker to the pot there, and Jim, he one crouching in the above shot, got the pike award with a nice one North of 7Lbs. All in all, I had a blast and I'm looking forward to the 2012 trip... Wonder where that will be...

DSC00254.jpg

looks like a great trip

I guess you don't need pink rubber gloves when you have rubber girls along...LOL

and I guess one of the guys were new looks like he thought they would fly in his bass boat to fish out of

:whistling:

Edited by Terry®

Hey there,

I go on an annual fishing trip from Brantford Ontario and we stop at Windy Lake resort for the night and then continue up where we get on Ray's nice beaver and he flies us into Lake Ramsey.

Small world.

Looks like a good trip all around.

Chad

Thanks for the reads guys. I loved the trip. Biggfish! Nice to meet ya. Ray's a great guy, good pilot, and knows his lakes! Irish, I included the Beaver shots just for you... :whistling: The pic with the dolls was the tamest I could find for a family website. A lot of the pictures had to get cut, but it was the best practical joke, ever... Thanks again, and tight lines.

Thanks for the reads guys. I loved the trip. Biggfish! Nice to meet ya. Ray's a great guy, good pilot, and knows his lakes! Irish, I included the Beaver shots just for you... :whistling: The pic with the dolls was the tamest I could find for a family website. A lot of the pictures had to get cut, but it was the best practical joke, ever... Thanks again, and tight lines.

I never knew Wayne had an old beaver fetish!!! :oops:

I know that all too well Jay... I use to do all the spring and fall counts for the Trumpeter Swam program for the Wye Marsh and had a few too many of their female stewards use the bag in my airplane while circling nests from Wasaga to Six Mile Lake.