.tips?

Hi - I'm taking my family camping with my brother and his family for 3 days at Charleston Lake P.P. the last weekend in May. Arriving Friday, leaving Monday morning. He's bringing his 28-ft camper trailer, and I'm bringing my 18-ft boat. Anyways, neither of us have been to this lake before, so I'm looking maybe to shorten the learning curve a little for fishing while we're there. I realize bass is still closed, but there's lakers from what I understand, and I get mixed info from the 'net about whether there's pike or muskie; some websites say pike, some say muskie. If it's pike, then those should be open too, I believe.

Any tips and "suggestions" on where to look for any of the species open to fishing that weekend? Thanks!

pike-no muskie thats for sure. You need gps with map of lake-lots of high shoals(but water will be high).

First tip, take me with you! Er I mean yeah. The lakers are all over the place there. You'll hear people rolling 50-100 feet, then the next will be flat lining. I have no experience in them so I couldn't tell you. I haven't heard of pike being in there, but I would not be surprised. It's just not an area where people go to pike fish? Husky jerks work well in this area.

There are a lot of high shoals, especially on the north end of the lake. Lot's of bays to be hunting for pike that is for sure. If you have a graph that takes an SD card I have a hotmaps you are welcome to borrow if you come into Brockville.

I know Charleston and all the lakes in the area. No trout help but if you troll husky jerks in the small bays or dont be afraid to cast them in 20ft of water close to rock walls and weed lines... Plenty of pike in Leeds & The Thousand Islands. Give them the useual, big spinnerbaits along weedlines and husky jerks early, early morning dominated for me last season.

Good luck!

Hi - I'm taking my family camping with my brother and his family for 3 days at Charleston Lake P.P. the last weekend in May. Arriving Friday, leaving Monday morning. He's bringing his 28-ft camper trailer, and I'm bringing my 18-ft boat. Anyways, neither of us have been to this lake before, so I'm looking maybe to shorten the learning curve a little for fishing while we're there. I realize bass is still closed, but there's lakers from what I understand, and I get mixed info from the 'net about whether there's pike or muskie; some websites say pike, some say muskie. If it's pike, then those should be open too, I believe.

Any tips and "suggestions" on where to look for any of the species open to fishing that weekend? Thanks!

Fished Charleston lake for over a decade. What is unusual about this year is that lakers are open at the last saturday of May rather than the first saturday of June typically. 2 methods, lead core line or using a down rigger. Down rigger is my choice and it is very precise, i just use a mini manual one with a 4-5 lb cannon ball. The fish finder will tell you what depth they are at and just drop into that level and troll. With the weather and time of year you are fishing them, my guess is they will be around 40-60 foot depth range at most come end of May. Baits :- troll with spoons behind inline spinners, i think they call them "christmas trees" in the local area. This is a very deep lake, that is spring fed from the bottom of the lake so it is very cold. No muskies that I have ever heard of but I have caught pike.

Mostly smallies in this lake around rocky structure, the large mouth are in weeds if you can find them. Water is quite clear so you can see structure normally but get a good map.

The comment about bass season is correct but there is usually a bass tournament at that time and can be tough fishing at season opener.

There is not a lot of shallow water since the depth drops off very rapidly when you go out even just 10 feet from shore in much of the lake, so if you can find shallow water with even a bit of cover you can find the bass and pike.

Does Charleston Lake have a section that is motor boat free? If yes, don't be afraid to paddle a canoe into these areas. I usually find these areas have less fishing pressure and therefore more productive.

You can also troll for laker with a 3-way setup, esp from a canoe. Way more fun using light tackle than a downrigger/lead core line setup.