Boat Trailer tires

rob v

Time to replace the tires on my boat trailer (before it,s too late). They're standard 12 inch trailer tires - boat and trailer weigh about 1500 - 1700 lbs. I was just going to go to crappy tire and pick up a pair - but perhaps there's a better option considering quality and price ? Any suggestions from those in the know ? thx.

I picked up a pair of 175 80D 13 on a white 5 bolt rim at a trailer place in Brantford for 50 bucks each,everywhere else they were at least 90 bucks. I can not remember the name of the place but they advertise in the Tri-ad all the time.

Make sure you look at the load rating on the PA tires before you buy.

Most seem to be lightweight B rated tires.

I did get my new 14" rims and tires from them however and they are fine.

The ones I bought for the snowmobile trailer I didn't notice they only had a B rating and not a C or D and they did not do the job.

I picked up two radial, 13"ers mounted on new 5 hole rims for $20.00 less than the cost of 2 13" Carlyle tires from PA last year. Went to the guy who supplys our fleet (MacMillan Tire). I'm sure he would give you the same pricing, on the tires anyway - but at 1.30 / litre for gas, you may want to tee that up with a drive through KW. You could always try a local high volume tire dealer?

Time to replace the tires on my boat trailer (before it,s too late). They're standard 12 inch trailer tires - boat and trailer weigh about 1500 - 1700 lbs. I was just going to go to crappy tire and pick up a pair - but perhaps there's a better option considering quality and price ? Any suggestions from those in the know ? thx.

Give Dan (DanD from OFC) a call on Monday 519-681-3844

He's on Bessemer Rd in south London.

Dan's a super guy and treated us very well for all of our automotive needs in the last year. jjcanoe can vouch for him too!

Hey thanks for the info guys. Brian - I'll definitely check DanD out. And no - I don"t wanna cheap out - for the sake of an extra $50 or $100 it's definitely worth the extra piece of mind. Just checked to-nite - they're actually 13 inch tires. I checked with a local good year tire dealer down town london - he actually told me he can't compete with PA and I should check him out. by the time he prices the tire, takes my old tire off and puts the new one on the rim PA's already got him beat selling the tire and rim as a package - go figure.

Like drifter said, check the load rating on the PA tires. They seem like a good deal, until you realize they are one class lower than what you need. Most of them are only class B, and most boat trailers are at least Class C tires.

S.

Rob, there is a place in east London that makes those combined boat& trailer in one. They often have trailer tires on sale on KIJIJI Last summer they were advertising

ST175/80 R13 Load range C

Max load of 1360 lbs @50 PSI

mounted on 5 bolt galvanized rims

I have the name/contact info at work but do you think I can remember it now?!?!DANG!!EDIT! Admiral Drive Systems contact name was Bryan Stennett.

I looked into them but they would not fit under my boat without modifying the fenders

On my last boat trailer I put radials on it and WHAT a DIFFERENCE!

Rode nice and cool and smoother ride.

Mike

Edited by Fishn Technishn

Agreed on the radial performance vs bias. Heat dissipation and overall ride quality just dont compete. When I was looking at the PA tires there were 2 issues - weight rating and speed rating limits. Most of them were rated well below highway speeds - especially the current unofficial speed limit. This isn't a big deal if you are running to the local lake, but if you are doing longer trips the bias can't deal with the heat and runs really hot. This causes uneven wear, and if underinflated by just a few lbs, can cause a blowout. I ran the bias from Paris up to Cochrane and back, at the flow of traffic speeds, on the bias tires that came with the trailer (same make as PA sells) wore really badly even though I checked the pressure before each run - heat from the high speed (checcked them at each stop - they were hot). Then coming back from Jordan a week later one of then through a chunk out of a nearly new tire. That was it for me. Bias ply was removed from almost every other application than small trailers years ago - there is a reason. They just dont compete from a ride, heat, longevity and speed capability perspective, They do have a stronger sidewall, but the benefit here is liimited to the most brutal of applications (rough roads), and driving according to conditions will over come that (and save your boat from rought trailering damage).

If you want an intro to Tom at MacMillan for comparison pricing drop me a pm

Just wanted to give a big thanks to DanD from this board (and to slowpoke for referring me). Dan took some time out of his busy schedule to get me fixed up and did a great job. Trailers got some new rubber (goodyear marathons - radials ) and I've got some piece of mind. Thanks again Dan !!

Edited by Rob V