Waterfront lot with old cottage

cowanjo

Hi guys an opportunity has come up to buy the lot next door to my cottage - it has a very old cottage which is structurally unsafe, I know there are caveats (It is wood build 30's) any idea of costs to demolish and take away approx 1300 sqfoot cottage - this is in Kawartha's - if someone wants to do it also interested

Thanks

John

Before you tear it down... if you want to build any buildings on said property you may find current planning restrictions would allow a "renovation" to the existing, but not allow anything new to be built or that close to the water. Most renovations conveniently end up removing everything that was originally there during the "renovation", but if you remove the building totally before application you may never get another building permit to put something back up.

Insure it and have a unfortunate campfire spark..... :whistling::devil::devil:

Or do the right thing and find out if renovations are allowed. Although with gas prices doing what they are doing, the cottage market may dry up.

Im sure you need a permit from the township in order to demo the place.. but b carefull because if it is as old as u say then it may b a heritage home and they wouldn't let u take it down chances are that everything will be fine so gook luck with the demo... also I always wanted to own land out that way.. what's waterfront property sell for in that area??

What Irish said. You definitely need to talk to someone in the township. If the old cottage is structurally unsound then they might let you tear it down or else have the fire department come over and do a controlled burn. All depends on what's allowed.

Hi I took down my old cottage building three years ago and the demolition permit was $80. Hydro and phone disconnections were no charge. The old cottage was 600 sq ft the total cost for the dumping was $500-$600, that is to haul all the stuff and dump it yourself. To dump everything for the 1300 sq ft building, if you’re not saving any wood, would cost you probably in the neighborhood of $1200 at the dump.

I heard cottage zoning is a little more lenient, but for residential zoning building permit approval you have to pass Health unit check approx $300, MNR approx $100, first grading survey approval is approx $1,500 etc… the package from the city would have all the phone numbers for the different offices and you can find out the exact cost.

Hope this helps.

In Haliburton, my neighbor called the Fire Dept. to warn them, took out all the bad stuff (insulation, plastic, shingles etc.), then set it ablaze,

we couldn't get within 20 feet of it when it was on fire from the heat

in the morning there wasn't much left, I don't know how environmentally friendly the whole process was though

Thank you so much for responses - i will not be doing anything illegal like the area and my existing neighbours! This is helpful ... setting on fire only OFC would come up with that in an early reply love this site

When my buddy tore down his cabin on the Muskoka River, the old beams ate up a lot of carbide saw blades, the wood was sooooo dense and heavy. A couple of pieces in the campfire would burn all night long. Reclaiming some of the timber may be a good idea but may not be practical. You need to research this further with the township, hopefully you don't have any asbestos in there and there probably is no or next to none insulation.

Good luck with this project and keep us apprised on how it goes.

Edited by bigbuck