Baitcaster

dave1965

As a neophyte that has been resisting buying and using a baitcasting reel since I have always been happy with my array of spincasting rods and reels, My more experienced fisher friends have finally bent my arm and I purchased a shimano Curado 201E7.

I'm basically looking to get pointers on how to use this thing without getting frustrated by birdnesting the darn thing.

Any suggestions would be welcomed lest I pack it in and gp back to my spincasters.

Thanks in advance,

DR. Dave

i forgot who said it on this board but there was a very good tip that helped me when i first learned.....spool out about 20 ft of line and then tape the spool....open the curado on the right side...and there are pinkish tabs on the drum spool...click them all outward....this helps the the reel spool out...you want to slow everything down at first....next grab your lure and attach it....there will be a dial near your drag on your left side...adjust that so your lure doesnt free fall....ok now youve set your caster....now there is a technique...call thumbing the spool....as you cast keep your thumb on the spool...feather it lightly.....as soon as the lure hits the water...stop the spool with your thumb.....curado is a good reel!!!

pull out as much line as you think you can cast then pull out another 10 feet put some electrical tape around the spool and reel the line back in

this will help stop bird nests as you are learning to cast as you get better you will be casting all the way to the tape, just remove the tape pull out some more line and tape it again

even after you get good at casting if you need to cast into heavy wind taping the line can save hours of untangling birds nestssssss.....that the best idea I have had for learning to cast bait casters

IN MY OPINION-

If you're not left handed you have purchased the wrong reel.

However here is a how to I wrote for a friend.

There are only two things that cause a backlash.

Number one is the spool turns faster than the bait is taking the line out.

Number two is the spool keeps turning after the bait has hit the water.

On the side of your reel opposite the crank is a magnetic or centrifugal brake. This brake moderates the speed of the spool especially at the start of the cast so that it doesn't out accelerate the bait and the line going out...To get started if it's a knob turn this on all the way. If your reel has brake shoes, turn them all on..

Under the crank handle there will be a knurled knob. When this is tightened it applies pressure to the end of the spool shaft. This pressure will slow the spool at the end of the cast so that it stops when the bait stops.

To get started, tighten this so that when you release the spool the bait settles to the ground/water and the spool stops.

You are now ready for your first cast. Turn your wrist slightly so that the reel handle faces up at a 45 degree angle. OR down to the ground if you are still using the wrong reel.

Press the spool release, but keep the spool from moving with your thumb.

Point the rod at the place you want the cast to go...now look up about 45 degrees and pick a spot that is above the target, something like a cloud in the sky or the top of a tree will work nicely. Make a nice easy cast toward this object. Using this secondary high target will compensate for the time-lag between when you think about releasing the spool and when your thumb actually moves.

The rod should start level at 9 o'clock, then rise to 12 o'clock. With your elbow down, when your wrist meets your shoulder, bend your wrist back to about 1 o'clock then snap your wrist and forearm forward with a hammer-like motion to drive the cast. As the your hand comes forward release the spool as you reach your high target.

Try to keep you elbows down, stretching your arms out will not add distance to your cast.

You will soon get the timing, but use the cloud trick to get started...

The cast should go out in an arc, then the bait will die in the air and fall to that water with no tangles in the line.

The cast dies in the air because you are using too much braking and you can back each brake off a little once you become comfortable with the mechanics of casting this type of reel.

If you get in the habit of stopping the spool with your thumb as the bait reaches the target, in time the friction brake might be loosened off all the way and completely replaced by your thumb. The magnetic or centrifugal brake can be backed off until you see loose line on the spool during the cast, or hear the line flapping inside the reel during the cast.

Good Luck

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

My left hand is practually useless and I use 201 models. I learned to cast with them from my uncle. Going to a 200, even though I'm dominant with my right hand feels so awkward and improper especially to set the hook. Keep @ it though, took me a few hours to learn. Now I own 5 higher end baitcasters

Doing a search on youtube for bait caster, using a bait caster, etc. will bring up a series of useful videos. Get free software called Youtube Downloader and you can save the videos to your computer for later viewing. Found them particularly helpful along with garry2r's advice and others from this forum.

Also very right handed, and I don`t own a right hand retrieve bait caster, and I have more than a few. The Curado is a decent reel, just practice with it, if you can find a friend or some one to fish with that will give you some pointers even better.

Learn to flip and pitch with it, and a roll cast, put some time in and get accurate making casts, it`s just a different feel than a spinning reel.

Nice reel, you won't regret spending the extra bucks on a quality reel. I'd spool up with some cheap 12-14lb mono to practice with. Once you start to get the hang of it, then splurge on good line whether you go with mono, fluoro or braided. There is some good advice here. One thing to keep in mind is a nice fluid motion.

Buy yourself a couple of practice plugs (BassPro has them, not sure about LeBaron's), go to your local park and practice casting, pitiching, flipping, etc... I also learned how to teach my thumb by practicing while watching tv by letting the weight drop to the floor and controlling the spool with my thumb. People will think you're a bit nuts but once you master the baitcaster, there is no looking back.

spool the cheapest mono on it, nothing under 12lb diameter when you're starting off

put the brakes at the max settings (pink knobs all out)

tension knob to tight.. which means the lure/weight doesn't drop unless u give it a flick

start practicing, as you get more confident, slowly ease off the brakes and the tension knobs... for me... I usually keep the brakes at 2~3 out depending on wind condition and the type of lure

When I was in college I would practice in my apartment.

I attached a baitcaster to one of my ice fishing rods and flipped to a target in the living room everyday, sometimes for hours. Although it feels a bit different with a long rod, I found it to be great practice for handling a baitcaster and accuracy.

Just a thought.....

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

All of these tips are excellentthumbsup_anim.gif You will love your new abilities too. Just remember, it is one of many tools in your aresnal.Dont retire your spincater too fast. There are lots of situations where a spin caster is the better tool.

Paul